+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 17 of 34 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Cover versions

Quote Originally Posted by monty_rhodes View Post
    That was certainly a horror story!
    I think Richard Harris recording of MacArthur Park was the original - but it was an odd song. Jimmy Webb wrote some brilliant material; this wasn't his finest hour despite the record being a major hit.

Bobby Darin had a fine voice and sang some great songs. His cover of Tim Hardin's "if I Were A Carpenter" unfortunately wasn't one of them, in my view. His attempts at being a folkie were disingenuous, to say the least.

Any old soul classic that Rod Stewart covers.😭

Quote Originally Posted by CTMilller View Post
    I think Richard Harris recording of MacArthur Park was the original - but it was an odd song. Jimmy Webb wrote some brilliant material; this wasn't his finest hour despite the record being a major hit.

Bobby Darin had a fine voice and sang some great songs. His cover of Tim Hardin's "if I Were A Carpenter" unfortunately wasn't one of them, in my view. His attempts at being a folkie were disingenuous, to say the least.
    CT, you are bang on. Darin's version of Mac the Knife is top drawer as is Over The Sea. Hardin I like but agree with you on If I Were a Carpenter. Misty Roses, Lady Came from Baltimore, Reason To Believe all good.

Hadn't realised about Harris being the first recording of MP. Donna Summer did a much better job imo.
    Last edited by monty_rhodes; 21-09-2018 at 04:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jocksgloves View Post
    Any old soul classic that Rod Stewart covers.��
    Jocks, I don't think I've heard any but the prospect does sound pretty dire.

CT, I was first introduced to Tim Hardin's music in 1970 by a guy at college. He had the 1968 Live in Concert LP which - perhaps coloured by youthful reminiscence - remains my favourite of his LPs. "Tribute to Hank Williams" was quite moving - and in view of Hardin's later death from heroin overdose, rather prophetic. It was odd to encounter "If I Were a Carpenter" as I previously only knew it from the Four Tops version! And Darin should definitely have left it alone.
    Last edited by monty_rhodes; 21-09-2018 at 07:44 AM.

Being a fan of big production in music ie. Phil Spector, Brian Wilson etc I always liked the Walker Bros version of Tom Rush's " No Regrets"

Best cover version of this classic Who song.

Cool album too
    Last edited by BigLadonOS; 21-09-2018 at 03:12 PM.

I give you....

...and Neil Young does a very good, and very different, cover.

Cass Elliot's (Mama Cass) version of "Make Your Own Kind of Music" in my opinion better than the original by "The Will-O-Bees" and blows Paloma Faith's trashy version out of the water. (why would you want to add all those stupid backing tracks to such a fantastic song?)

Great tune.

Jennifer Hudsons version of " And I Am Telling You" is as good (but not better than) Jennifer Hollidays Original.

Awesome.

Page 17 of 34 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast