+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 18 of 34 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Cover versions

Quote Originally Posted by Nogbad View Post
    I give you....

...and Neil Young does a very good, and very different, cover.
    That is awful, It's just Jeff Beck showing off his guitar skills.

If you want to see an awesome guitar player feast your eyes and ears on this.

just because this thread is about Music.

If you have never seen this then please have a watch of it.

Quote Originally Posted by monty_rhodes View Post
    CT, I was first introduced to Tim Hardin's music in 1970 by a guy at college. He had the 1968 Live in Concert LP which - perhaps coloured by youthful reminiscence - remains my favourite of his LPs. "Tribute to Hank Williams" was quite moving - and in view of Hardin's later death from heroin overdose, rather prophetic. It was odd to encounter "If I Were a Carpenter" as I previously only knew it from the Four Tops version! And Darin should definitely have left it alone.
    I also enjoyed the "Live in Concert" LP, Monty. On the Bobby Darin theme, I've just read about the huge irony of Hardin's only chart hit (no. 50 on Billboard 100) having been written by...Bobby Darin!

The Stones "Gimme Shelter" covered by so many bands, inluding, Stone Sour, Sisters Of Mercy, Beady Eye etc etc etc but for me I cannot choose between Puddle Of Mudd and Thunder. Although different aproches by these two bands both sound fantastic.

Brillant thread, brilliant contributions by one and all, just like the old days in more ways than one.

First started getting into music at age 8 whilst scrubbing pans alongside my mother who despite many ailments - dementia, 95% blind and deaf almost, widowed and nearing 90. First went to see bands all over Rotherham at the age of 11, looked older than I was and never turned away from any home pub, started drinking early and at Butlin's was drinking 12 pints a day when we met up with 3 old men in suits from Manchester (they must've been all of 18).

We threw up spectacularly on the penultimate night but both scored pleasingly on the last night. Mine was a woman, 17 and a hairdresser from Shrewsbury. Saw Hendrix two weeks before he choked to death at the Cadogan Hotel, London. 'All Along The Watchtower' is a superb cover but as far as covers in general are concerned, loved 'Surfin' Bird by the Trashmen and Do you Wanna Dance by Bobby Freeman covered by The Ramones and ruined by Cliff., plus a great many already mentioned above.

Anyway guys, thanks for keeping me alive that bit longer with this thread. I've got over a thousand albums but sadly they've been promised elsewhere. Very wide taste, very good selection and yes, CT Sam Cooke was a better writer than a singer- witness 'A change Is Gonnna Come'.

Zil, your musical knowldege has been sadly missed. Good to have you back. 12 pints at 11 years old is perhaps above the recommended unit intake. The hairdresser from Shrewsbury sounds nice though. Anyway keep posting and let us know how you think things are progressing at RUFC. If it's not too stupid to say I hope you're feeling well.

Quote Originally Posted by CTMilller View Post
    I also enjoyed the "Live in Concert" LP, Monty. On the Bobby Darin theme, I've just read about the huge irony of Hardin's only chart hit (no. 50 on Billboard 100) having been written by...Bobby Darin!
    "Simple Song of Freedom" - had no idea it was a Darin composition until you posted, CT. Neither did I realise it was Hardin's only hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Zilzal View Post
    Brillant thread, brilliant contributions by one and all, just like the old days in more ways than one.

First started getting into music at age 8 whilst scrubbing pans alongside my mother who despite many ailments - dementia, 95% blind and deaf almost, widowed and nearing 90. First went to see bands all over Rotherham at the age of 11, looked older than I was and never turned away from any home pub, started drinking early and at Butlin's was drinking 12 pints a day when we met up with 3 old men in suits from Manchester (they must've been all of 18).

We threw up spectacularly on the penultimate night but both scored pleasingly on the last night. Mine was a woman, 17 and a hairdresser from Shrewsbury. Saw Hendrix two weeks before he choked to death at the Cadogan Hotel, London. 'All Along The Watchtower' is a superb cover but as far as covers in general are concerned, loved 'Surfin' Bird by the Trashmen and Do you Wanna Dance by Bobby Freeman covered by The Ramones and ruined by Cliff., plus a great many already mentioned above.

Anyway guys, thanks for keeping me alive that bit longer with this thread. I've got over a thousand albums but sadly they've been promised elsewhere. Very wide taste, very good selection and yes, CT Sam Cooke was a better writer than a singer- witness 'A change Is Gonnna Come'.
    I wondered if this thread would spark your reemergence, Zilzal. I'm very glad to see it has...

I'll let you and BigLad fight it out over Sam Cooke's credentials. For me, he has an unforgettable, distinct voice that really marks a period in black American music. The Cooke/Redding versions of "A Change..."? Neck and neck for me. Both superb and very different. I've just enjoyed listening to them again.

As always with you, an interesting vignette from early life. Hope your health is holding up...

Page 18 of 34 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast