+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 19 of 34 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Cover versions

Some very good links in this thread

Quote Originally Posted by CTMilller View Post
    I wondered if this thread would spark your reemergence, Zilzal. I'm very glad to see it has...

I'll let you and BigLad fight it out over Sam Cooke's credentials. For me, he has an unforgettable, distinct voice that really marks a period in black American music. The Cooke/Redding versions of "A Change..."? Neck and neck for me. Both superb and very different. I've just enjoyed listening to them again.

As always with you, an interesting vignette from early life. Hope your health is holding up...
    No fight from my side CT as for me Music it what touches your Soul and if Zil does not feel it then there is very little I can do to change his mind and that is what music is all about.

Possibly the greatest cover version of all time was recorded by the Animals. The song had been sung for many years by many people but it was eventually recorded by Tom Clarence Ashley & Gwen Foster in 1928.

Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by BigLadonOS View Post
    No fight from my side CT as for me Music it what touches your Soul and if Zil does not feel it then there is very little I can do to change his mind and that is what music is all about.

Totally with that sentiment, BigLad - and I'm sure Zilzal and everybody else on this thread feels the same way; whatever our opinions, we hold them passionately and, as a result, they are all equally valid.

I'm glad you brought up the Animals version of The House Of The Rising Sun. Technically it's a cover version though it's origins are lost in the mists of time and the tune and lyrics - even the song title - have gone all over the place. Dylan and Joan Baez did versions before the Animals but they also sound quite different and, compared with these, the version by Burden and the gang is definitely commercially superior. When you hear the arpeggiated chords of Hilton Valentine's electric guitar opening (Am, C, D, F, Am, E, Am) you know exactly what's coming...

Totally with that sentiment, BigLad - and I'm sure Zilzal and everybody else on this thread feels the same way; whatever our opinions, we hold them passionately and, as a result, they are all equally valid.

I'm glad you brought up the Animals version of The House Of The Rising Sun. Technically it's a cover version though it's origins are lost in the mists of time and the tune and lyrics - even the song title - have gone all over the place. Dylan and Joan Baez did versions before the Animals but they also sound quite different and, compared with these, the version by Burden and the gang is definitely commercially superior. When you hear the arpeggiated chords of Hilton Valentine's electric guitar opening (Am, C, D, F, Am, E, Am) you know exactly what's coming...
    I always thought the Joan Baez version was a bit hit and miss, I dont think Joan new weather to sing it as a folk song or a blues song so decided to both at the same time and it just did not knit very well. Dylans version is pitiful to my ears. Sorry if anyone out there liked Dylans version but it's not for me.

Quote Originally Posted by BigLadonOS View Post
    I always thought the Joan Baez version was a bit hit and miss, I dont think Joan new weather to sing it as a folk song or a blues song so decided to both at the same time and it just did not knit very well. Dylans version is pitiful to my ears. Sorry if anyone out there liked Dylans version but it's not for me.
    Joan Baez also did a not very good cover imo of the Jackson Browne classic Fountain of Sorrow.

I wondered if this thread would spark your reemergence, Zilzal. I'm very glad to see it has...

I'll let you and BigLad fight it out over Sam Cooke's credentials. For me, he has an unforgettable, distinct voice that really marks a period in black American music. The Cooke/Redding versions of "A Change..."? Neck and neck for me. Both superb and very different. I've just enjoyed listening to them again.

As always with you, an interesting vignette from early life. Hope your health is holding up...
    I love Sam Cooke's voice. Cupid still does it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by LincsMiller View Post
    Being a fan of big production in music ie. Phil Spector, Brian Wilson etc I always liked the Walker Bros version of Tom Rush's " No Regrets"
    Spector was a very big influence on Wilson. I loved the Wlaker Brothers Make it Easy on Yourself and The Sun Aint Gonna Shine Anymore.

A song that I like a great deal but may be too sentimental for some is Raul Malo's version of the Stephen Foster ballad Beautiful Dreamer. It's a song which has resonances from my childhood which may partly explain my attachment.

Quote Originally Posted by monty_rhodes View Post
    Casper, here's another claim to fame for the Sheffields - check the poster on the wall between the two guys.Attachment 10690

They had several hits in the UK and the USA
    That poster reminded my sister of when she was a ****ager, she went to the Attic in Hounslow and saw Jimmy Hendrix perform there.

That guy jamming and playing a few bars.....the one with his foot on the Vox....it's not you is it monty ?

Animals - House of the Rising Sun, never get fed up of listening to that one.

Must check some of these tracks out that people have mentioned.

Page 19 of 34 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast