+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 20 of 34 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Cover versions

Quote Originally Posted by CASPER-64-FRANK View Post
    That poster reminded my sister of when she was a ****ager, she went to the Attic in Hounslow and saw Jimmy Hendrix perform there.

That guy jamming and playing a few bars.....the one with his foot on the Vox....it's not you is it monty ?

Animals - House of the Rising Sun, never get fed up of listening to that one.

Must check some of these tracks out that people have mentioned.
    Casper, the only musical instrument I ever played was the triangle at primary school. Good to hear of your sister's recollections. This thread has brought back memories for quite a few of us.

Quote Originally Posted by monty_rhodes View Post
    Joan Baez also did a not very good cover imo of the Jackson Browne classic Fountain of Sorrow.
    My mum had an album by Jackson Browne called "Late for the sky" and the only track I really liked on it was a song called "Before the Deluge" I don't know why I liked that particular track so much but it was always the one I put on whenever I just wanted to get myself out of feeling gloomy and down. The song always put a smile on my face.

I've not really heard that much of his music other than that album so I cannot comment to much about his music.

P:S: You were right about Joan Baez version monty it's rubbish lol.

Quote Originally Posted by BigLadonOS View Post
    My mum had an album by Jackson Browne called "Late for the sky" and the only track I really liked on it was a song called "Before the Deluge" I don't know why I liked that particular track so much but it was always the one I put on whenever I just wanted to get myself out of feeling gloomy and down. The song always put a smile on my face.

I've not really heard that much of his music other than that album so I cannot comment to much about his music.

P:S: You were right about Joan Baez version monty it's rubbish lol.
    Well, Fountain of Sorrow is on your mum's album. I like it but will give "Before the Deluge" a play. I'm a bit biased about Baez (!); I think she's a pain in the rrse; Social Justice Warriro, Peacenick etc, etc. I do like her composition Diamonds and Rust though.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ST9TZBb9v8

When I first heard Evanescence's Bring Me To Life I decided to look for some more of that type of stuff because I liked it and had never heard anything like it before. I found bands like - Nightwish, Within Temptation, Blackbriar, Epica and many more. One of the songs I found was by a band called Nightqueen who did a version of Diamonds & Rust that I liked.

I quite like some Rock Opera including this one.

Well, Fountain of Sorrow is on your mum's album. I like it but will give "Before the Deluge" a play. I'm a bit biased about Baez (!); I think she's a pain in the rrse; Social Justice Warriro, Peacenick etc, etc. I do like her composition Diamonds and Rust though.
    Yea monty I have heard it but in all honesty I find it ok but nothing more.

Yea monty I have heard it but in all honesty I find it ok but nothing more.
    That's OK. I like it but it's not on my Desert Island Discs shortlist!

When I first heard Evanescence's Bring Me To Life I decided to look for some more of that type of stuff because I liked it and had never heard anything like it before. I found bands like - Nightwish, Within Temptation, Blackbriar, Epica and many more. One of the songs I found was by a band called Nightqueen who did a version of Diamonds & Rust that I liked.

I quite like some Rock Opera including this one.

Oh my God, Biglad. That is sooooooooooooooooooo OTT. Liberace meets Brunhilde, Germanic Goddess. Those arm movements. Wow. if Adolf was still alive he'd love her!!

Oh my God, Biglad. That is sooooooooooooooooooo OTT. Liberace meets Brunhilde, Germanic Goddess. Those arm movements. Wow. if Adolf was still alive he'd love her!!
    It is called Rock Opera monty lol Body language is used in most Opera's. I guess he would have loved Kate Bush too lol.

Just for a bit of fun watch Ukulele band of Britain doing psycho killer ( Talking Heads) it did make me laugh.

I'm a massive Jackson Browne fan and have been ever since I saw his set on the Old Grey Whistle Test in, I think, 1972 when his first album had just come out in the UK. (It's called simply 'Jackson Browne' but tends to be called "Saturate Before Using" because of the front cover graphics.) "Late For The Sky" was his third album released in 1974 after "Everyman".

(Sugar Tiler of these boards briefly met Browne at the time of the OGWT performance and has told me a little of those times. Sugar was a minion in Browne's record company's London office and was responsible for shepherding him between appointments.)

There are many covers of many of his songs. The one I would mention is Nico's version of "These Days". (Nico of Velvet Underground fame.) I personally think very little of it but it is often quoted as one of those tracks that is better than the original. To me it just represents a different style and the best I can say is that it's typical of that different style...

Browne and Nico had a brief fling when he was still in his ****s. She was attracted to his pretty-boy looks but soon spat him out rather publicly - not very nice. In fact there isn't much that is very nice about Nico in my book - apart from her looks...

Page 20 of 34 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast