+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 23 of 34 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Cover versions

Quote Originally Posted by LincsMiller View Post
    Just listened to the Walker Bros cover of Lorraine Elisons " Stay With Me Baby" Great version.

FTAO CTMiller , or anyone interested in the late 50s to mid 60s music , cop a read of this book.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Always-Magi.../dp/0143037773
    Can I say a big thank you Lincs
    Miller my wife's just ordered this for me for Christmas & a big thanks to monty for a great thread.Who says an O/T can't run without trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolmorgan View Post
    Can I say a big thank you Lincs
    Miller my wife's just ordered this for me for Christmas & a big thanks to monty for a great thread.Who says an O/T can't run without trouble.
    No probs LoL, and second your remarks about Monty's post, may it run a while yet !

Scott Walker had one of the greatest voices of all time and his brothers were prolific too in other departments.

One of my fave Walker Bros records of all time is "The Electrician" years ahead of it's time. Released as a single but did nothing in the charts and shot to fame with the soundtrack of the movie "Bronson" it comes from the Album "Night Flights" David Bowie idolized Scott Walker and was musically influenced by The Walker Brothers. Bowie called "Night Flights" The best Album ever made by the Walker Brothers. If you have not heard the Album go look for it on Youtube.

You'll thrill me and thrill me and thrill me - and they did.

Scott Engel (Scott Walker) John Maus (John Walker) Gary Leeds (Gary Walker) All contributed to the Album "Night Flights" Scott contributed 4 tracks including the one below. John also contributed 4 tracks and Gary contributed 2 tracks to the album.

Although each came at the Album from a different perspective my fave tracks on the album are all penned by Scott.

Quote Originally Posted by LincsMiller View Post
    Just listened to the Walker Bros cover of Lorraine Elisons " Stay With Me Baby" Great version.

FTAO CTMiller , or anyone interested in the late 50s to mid 60s music , cop a read of this book.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Always-Magi.../dp/0143037773
    Thanks, Lincs. That's going straight on my Christmas wish list.

I was in New York a few months ago and thought I would go and take a look at the Brill Building. What a disappointment! a) the main entrance was locked and bolted with a huge chain and all the windows covered and b) no sign of any kind saying what it signified in terms of it's contribution to post-war popular music. Such a shame. I do hope they eventually give it the recognition it is due. I should have gone there sooner when it was still at least open. I worked in New York from 1995 to 2000 and my office was just two block to the north. I kept saying to myself "I must go and take a look" but there was always something more important to do...

Quote Originally Posted by BigLadonOS View Post
    Scott Walker had one of the greatest voices of all time and his brothers were prolific too in other departments.

One of my fave Walker Bros records of all time is "The Electrician" years ahead of it's time. Released as a single but did nothing in the charts and shot to fame with the soundtrack of the movie "Bronson" it comes from the Album "Night Flights" David Bowie idolized Scott Walker and was musically influenced by The Walker Brothers. Bowie called "Night Flights" The best Album ever made by the Walker Brothers. If you have not heard the Album go look for it on Youtube.

You'll thrill me and thrill me and thrill me - and they did.
    Scott Walker/Engel has such a recognisable voice which I generally like. This track has some great moments but it confirms my general feeling that he's a tiny bit precious and takes himself a bit too seriously. I recall watching a documentary ages ago about him making a record (it may have been this one) and his posturing and posing rapidly got up my nose...

But I do recognise what you're saying, Biglad. Well ahead of its time and some sublime passages of music. Interesting to read on googling it that this track heavily influenced Midge Ure of Ultravox when he penned "Vienna".

Well, I can see the innovative qualities in the track and agree with CT that there are some great passages of music. But overall not my cup of tea. I can detect LincsMiller's liking for Wall of Sound in the "Stay With Me Baby" track - again a tad too much orchestration for my taste.
    Last edited by monty_rhodes; 28-09-2018 at 06:47 AM.

It’s funny how some covers of original songs are taken to another level then someone comes along & kills it imo.Badfingers (without you) mentioned in one of montys posts was for me taken to another level by Harry Nilsson only for Mariah Carey to kill it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolmorgan View Post
    It’s funny how some covers of original songs are taken to another level then someone comes along & kills it imo.Badfingers (without you) mentioned in one of montys posts was for me taken to another level by Harry Nilsson only for Mariah Carey to kill it.
    Well, Lol, Nilsson's version is imcomparable. Hadn't realised Badfinger wrote it. Their version though is nothing special. Mariah Carey's is a few minutes of my life I can never get back. Awful.

Quote Originally Posted by monty_rhodes View Post
    Well, Lol, Nilsson's version is imcomparable. Hadn't realised Badfinger wrote it. Their version though is nothing special. Mariah Carey's is a few minutes of my life I can never get back. Awful.
    Fully agree with that assessment. Interestingly the other the song that Harry Nilsson made famous "Everybody's Talkin" doesn't get such a bumpy ride, at least in my view. I always loved Nilsson's rendition mainly because of its association with the excellent film "Midnight Cowboy" I didn't hear Fred Neil's original version until much later but immediately thought that was equally good. (I read somewhere that Neil made so much money from the popularity of Nilsson's recording, and its use in the film, he could fund his obsession with dolphins and go sailing pretty much for the rest of his life.)

Then I recently heard Stephen Still's version recorded with backing from Nash and Young and THAT'S really good, too.

Perhaps there are some songs that are hard to mess up or it was the luck of the draw. The right voice and arrangement for the right song?
    Last edited by CTMilller; 28-09-2018 at 03:35 PM.

Page 23 of 34 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast