+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 26 of 34 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Cover versions

Quote Originally Posted by CTMilller View Post
    Who knew?!

Sounds like a thin Crystals/Shirelles knock off in parts but a second playing and it becomes enjoyable. However, I just checked the release date - 1966! Thats about three years after this kind of music was hitting it big. The Beatles released "Revolver" that year. Dolly's song must have sounded very dated at the time.
    CT hits it again. Spot on observations.

Without wishing to sound too breathless, I am so enjoying this thread even after more than 250 individual posts. Where I am, I don't get much chance to discuss this stuff - especially with like-minded, knowledgable people. Thank you, gentlemen.

Quote Originally Posted by monty_rhodes View Post
    There are a lot of tracks to listen to here so I will work through them after my morning constitutional. Zil, apologies in advance but I shall be giving FZ a miss.
    Monty, it was in some ways typical whacky Zappa but I stayed with it and enjoyed it - more than I thought I would. Zilzal has consistently sung the praises of FZ (as Sugar Tiler did with Captain Beefheart) I've always struggled to enjoy either outfit but never miss an opportunity to follow up on the recommendations of these two. Sometimes it pays off...

That's pretty good - a blues rendition of a piece of Americana.

Just shows what a good quality piece of music this is that it can be interpreted in such different way and come out largely unscathed!
    Though it is a generalisation, I think a good cover must depend on both a decent original tune and/or lyrics and a (more than) competent performance by whoever is covering it.

I agree with Monty/Cam that the performance lacks some of the original's pathos, but I like it exactly because it isn't attempting to be a carbon copy, but brings something else to the table.

I've seen Derek Trucks live a few times, (there's quite a bit of family musical background there) but never seen the TT Band (though if they're ever back in the UK, I'll do my best to do so - they're rated as one of the best current touring bands).

I also think our perception of covers is also a matter of "Zeitgeist" - you latch on to something in a certain mood, or in a historical context, and it stays with you.

Dylan and Baez have been mentioned previously (not always with affection) - they both recorded the following, which for me is the best version I've heard, far outrunning either of their versions.

Somewhat more obscure this one - I saw the guy live a few time in the late 70's, and I can say without doubt he is the best solo guitarist I've ever heard close up in small venues. This link is posted as relevant to 'covers', but some of the other stuff on Youtube, you would swear there were three guitarists playing, not one.

Quote Originally Posted by Nogbad View Post
    Though it is a generalisation, I think a good cover must depend on both a decent original tune and/or lyrics and a (more than) competent performance by whoever is covering it.

I agree with Monty/Cam that the performance lacks some of the original's pathos, but I like it exactly because it isn't attempting to be a carbon copy, but brings something else to the table.

I've seen Derek Trucks live a few times, (there's quite a bit of family musical background there) but never seen the TT Band (though if they're ever back in the UK, I'll do my best to do so - they're rated as one of the best current touring bands).

I also think our perception of covers is also a matter of "Zeitgeist" - you latch on to something in a certain mood, or in a historical context, and it stays with you.

Dylan and Baez have been mentioned previously (not always with affection) - they both recorded the following, which for me is the best version I've heard, far outrunning either of their versions.

Somewhat more obscure this one - I saw the guy live a few time in the late 70's, and I can say without doubt he is the best solo guitarist I've ever heard close up in small venues. This link is posted as relevant to 'covers', but some of the other stuff on Youtube, you would swear there were three guitarists playing, not one.

Lot of good points in this post, Nogbad, and I like the performance too.

Monty, it was in some ways typical whacky Zappa but I stayed with it and enjoyed it - more than I thought I would. Zilzal has consistently sung the praises of FZ (as Sugar Tiler did with Captain Beefheart) I've always struggled to enjoy either outfit but never miss an opportunity to follow up on the recommendations of these two. Sometimes it pays off...
    In the 70s I used to work with a guy at 'Ear 'Ere Records who loved FZ and Beefheart and played them all the time. Just about killed me.

Going back to CT's point about certain songs standing up well in various interpretations I'd mention Cry Me A River. great versions by Dinah Washington, Ella Fitzgerald, Julie London, Mari Wilson, Diana Krall, Aerosmith and many others. hard to choose one - as Nogbad said it's sometimes a question of mood and context.

Quote Originally Posted by monty_rhodes View Post
    Going back to CT's point about certain songs standing up well in various interpretations I'd mention Cry Me A River. great versions by Dinah Washington, Ella Fitzgerald, Julie London, Mari Wilson, Diana Krall, Aerosmith and many others. hard to choose one - as Nogbad said it's sometimes a question of mood and context.
    Now your talking monty, Dinah Washington is right up my street. Cry me a river is fantastic and to me is awesome. What a stunning voice she had. Her version of Mad About The Boy is just so good. Penned by one Noël Coward in 1932 I believe. It was sang by many people including the comedy actress Joyce Grenfell which can be found on youtube but Dinah's version is stunning to say the least. As soon as the first note is played my skin just gets covered with goosebumps. AWESOME.............

They just dont make them like Dinah anymore. What a shame. Today's music is PANTS in comparison.

Who knew?!

Sounds like a thin Crystals/Shirelles knock off in parts but a second playing and it becomes enjoyable. However, I just checked the release date - 1966! Thats about three years after this kind of music was hitting it big. The Beatles released "Revolver" that year. Dolly's song must have sounded very dated at the time.
    You are spot on CTM she had deffo missed the boat by 1966 hence her move in to Country Music.

Quote Originally Posted by BigLadonOS View Post
    Now your talking monty, Dinah Washington is right up my street. Cry me a river is fantastic and to me is awesome. What a stunning voice she had. Her version of Mad About The Boy is just so good. Penned by one Noël Coward in 1932 I believe. It was sang by many people including the comedy actress Joyce Grenfell which can be found on youtube but Dinah's version is stunning to say the least. As soon as the first note is played my skin just gets covered with goosebumps. AWESOME.............

They just dont make them like Dinah anymore. What a shame. Today's music is PANTS in comparison.
    Here's a song I've always like, Biglad. Eartha Kitt Under the bridges of Paris

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fs3J--izU8

Page 26 of 34 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast