+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 29 of 34 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Cover versions

Quote Originally Posted by monty_rhodes View Post
    Flying Burrito Brothers (Gram Parsons), Wild Horses
    Chris Farlowe, Out of Time
    Chris Farlowe's cover stands up very well and I'd say that was a pretty good challenge to Zilzal's assertion but FBB's version of Wild Horses? Surely not!? Parsons has a sweet country voice, and couldn't believe his luck in befriending Keef, but that is a very thin version of the real thing in my book.

BigLad, another film I enjoyed recently was Sing Street about a band forming in Dublin in the early eighties.
    Yes, I remember quite enjoying that on a long haul flight somewhere but "The Commitments" was a much better film in the same genre.

I was briefly in a band when the film came out and we tried to cover similar material. Had a blast doing it and I got to play with the ex-saxophonist from The Psychadelic Furs.

Quote Originally Posted by CTMilller View Post
    Yes, I remember quite enjoying that on a long haul flight somewhere but "The Commitments" was a much better film in the same genre.

I was briefly in a band when the film came out and we tried to cover similar material. Had a blast doing it and I got to play with the ex-saxophonist from The Psychadelic Furs.
    Wouldn't disagree about The Commitments but still found the film had a ceratin romantic charm.

Chris Farlowe's cover stands up very well and I'd say that was a pretty good challenge to Zilzal's assertion but FBB's version of Wild Horses? Surely not!? Parsons has a sweet country voice, and couldn't believe his luck in befriending Keef, but that is a very thin version of the real thing in my book.
    You may be right. I went through a FBB phase years back but haven't listened to any for years and back then it was always through a haze of pungently aromatic smoke.

I hope you didn't go as far wearing an embroidered suit by Nudie!

I was also a fan of the FBBs and have always admired Chris Hillman ever since his days with the original Byrds. I thought he was best with The Desert Rose Band though (in fact he's still with them.) Herb Pederson is also a favourite. His song "Wait A Minute" is right up there for me. (Though the cover version by the band "Seldom Seen" is better than Herb's.)

I hope you didn't go as far wearing an embroidered suit by Nudie!

I was also a fan of the FBBs and have always admired Chris Hillman ever since his days with the original Byrds. I thought he was best with The Desert Rose Band though (in fact he's still with them.) Herb Pederson is also a favourite. His song "Wait A Minute" is right up there for me. (Though the cover version by the band "Seldom Seen" is better than Herb's.)
    Well, having spent several hours listening to covers of the Stones I think Zil may generally be right. Wasn't too impressed with Patti Smith's Gimme Shelter, First Aid Kit Play With Fire sadly left me cold (nice girls nonetheless) and I can't see why so many people like The Sundays' Wild Horses.

I did stumble across my favourite version of a great doo wop song, Silhouettes on the shade by Sha Na Na. Great band live too.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An-hkRxAWrc

BigLad, here's one of my all-time favourite movie music scenes - the roller rink dance in Heaven's Gate.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGd_cytAIkQ

Flying Burrito Brothers (Gram Parsons), Wild Horses
    Chris Farlowe, Out of Time
    I'd never heard the Burrito Brothers version and would like to say a huge thanks monty, that version is so ****ing good and is now on my play list. Much better than the Stones version.

The Stones Out of Time is still one of my fave song by the Stones along with Gimme Shelter. Chris did a fair job of the song but for me the Stones version is still the best.
    Last edited by BigLadonOS; 06-10-2018 at 11:46 AM.

BigLad, another film I enjoyed recently was Sing Street about a band forming in Dublin in the early eighties.
    Yea I have seen Sing Street. Very good and entertaining Movie.

My fave Movie clip from one of the best Movies ever made in my opinion. Although I am not a big Elvis Movie fan this is the exception.

Page 29 of 34 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast