+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 8 of 34 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Cover versions

Quote Originally Posted by monty_rhodes View Post
    Mike if I remember right it was next door to the Carter's rest pub which was 32 College Road so it would be the building shown here next to the pub which is being demolished.
    Wow, I lived opposite on Chemist Lane, Rebori ice cream parlour on the corner, wonderful art deco interior and ornate ice cream vans Name:  09683701.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  6.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by LincsMiller View Post
    Wow, I lived opposite on Chemist Lane, Rebori ice cream parlour on the corner, wonderful art deco interior and ornate ice cream vans Name:  09683701.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  6.0 KB
    I wondered what the street name of the Rebori place was. Thanks. Apparently they originally used a horse drawn van and the horses were called Peace and Victory. I must have walked past Chemist Lane dozens of time but never remembered the name. I must try and find an old map showing it.

Lincs, I found an entry in the London Gazette dated August 1938 which refers to Rebori & Co, 37 College Road, Rotherham and gives the names of the four partners. Apparently they moved there from Copper Street, West Bar, which had a sizeable Italian population.

I wondered what the street name of the Rebori place was. Thanks. Apparently they originally used a horse drawn van and the horses were called Peace and Victory. I must have walked past Chemist Lane dozens of time but never remembered the name. I must try and find an old map showing it.
    Very little archive Monty, would be grateful if you could pass on anything you find. It ran parallel with Mary St, with the Effingham Arms connecting the two at the other end from Rebori, and lead to the bottom of Holland St about quarter of the way down. turn left at the bottom and I think it was Garden Lane with a company called Pads And Shields , turning right brought you Amen Corner and the road that turned down by the Phoenix pub.

Rebori's always seemed so out of place amongst the old smoke stained brick buildings and houses at that time.

Will do. Not much archive as you say. I can place you now with Amen corner and the Effingham Arms. You were bang halfway between me on Bridge Street and Brin's house on Hartley Lane. Saw a photo from 1977 of the demolition of the shops on Bridge Street - very sad as I used to buy sweets and comics there.

Some people will probably think it's heresy but I prefer Far Corporation's version of Stairway to Heaven to the Led Zeppelin original.

Quote Originally Posted by mellowmiller View Post
    Some people will probably think it's heresy but I prefer Far Corporation's version of Stairway to Heaven to the Led Zeppelin original.
    It might be heresy but lots of people agree with you. It's an excellent version. I believe they did a long version too which I must seek out.

Agreed. Bit odd the whole thing as it was on at $21 and then relisted. Good luck if anybody wants it; not my cup of tea. I checked the bidder; doesn't ring any bells and only a handful of ebay transactions. Lol's info on SD apparently still having his membership card upsets the provenance a bit - unless the handwriting is Dinky's?
    I cannot tell a lie. I placed the bid! Just seemed interesting after we'd discussed it on here a bit and, given that it's a local deal for me, not a big spend. Not the end of the world if it's not Dinky's. It's an era of Rotherham history that interests me, sentimentally, anyway. My sister who is a few years older than me was part of the Rotherham music scene in the late fifties and early sixties. She died last year so it's on my mind a bit more than usual...

I'm not likely to bid any more if somebody else comes in - especially if there's doubt about the original owner. We'll see.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by CTMilller View Post
    I cannot tell a lie. I placed the bid! Just seemed interesting after we'd discussed it on here a bit and, given that it's a local deal for me, not a big spend. Not the end of the world if it's not Dinky's. It's an era of Rotherham history that interests me, sentimentally, anyway. My sister who is a few years older than me was part of the Rotherham music scene in the late fifties and early sixties. She died last year so it's on my mind a bit more than usual...

I'm not likely to bid any more if somebody else comes in - especially if there's doubt about the original owner. We'll see.
    " Its coming home , Its coming....... Oh heck.... Its not, its staying in b****y America.. !!!
    Sorry to hear about your sister CT.

Nice one, Lincs! If I get it, I may bring it home anyway!

Thank you for the kind comment about my sister. Hope things are also OK in the LincsMiller household.

On the music front, I'm off to see what remains of The Eagles next week at the Giants Stadium in SF and then what remains of Peter, Paul and Mary (so, Peter and Paul,) in December at Freight and Salvage in Berkeley. I'll get to see what remains of The Beach Boys/Brian Wilson one of these days!

Page 8 of 34 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast