+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 9 of 34 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Cover versions

Hi CT. Brian Wilson is coming here soon and one of his musicians is Blondie Chaplin who was a backing singer/guitarist for The Stones live gigs for many years. Might go and see them.

Quote Originally Posted by CTMilller View Post
    Nice one, Lincs! If I get it, I may bring it home anyway!

Thank you for the kind comment about my sister. Hope things are also OK in the LincsMiller household.

On the music front, I'm off to see what remains of The Eagles next week at the Giants Stadium in SF and then what remains of Peter, Paul and Mary (so, Peter and Paul,) in December at Freight and Salvage in Berkeley. I'll get to see what remains of The Beach Boys/Brian Wilson one of these days!

One of my fave covers to this day I still have it on every playlist I make. Loved it from being a kid and stayed with me into my 60's

Peter, Paul and Mary - The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face

I cannot tell a lie. I placed the bid! Just seemed interesting after we'd discussed it on here a bit and, given that it's a local deal for me, not a big spend. Not the end of the world if it's not Dinky's. It's an era of Rotherham history that interests me, sentimentally, anyway. My sister who is a few years older than me was part of the Rotherham music scene in the late fifties and early sixties. She died last year so it's on my mind a bit more than usual...

I'm not likely to bid any more if somebody else comes in - especially if there's doubt about the original owner. We'll see.
    CT, I'm pleased you bid. Sorry to hear about your sister. My eldest brother died in April exactly a year after my mother and like you its brought the old days in Rotherham back a lot. He was very involved in the local music scene in the fifties and early sixties.

I like Blondie Chaplin a lot, Sota. When he and drummer, Ricky Fataar - both South African - joined the Beach Boys it was a good sound. I hadn't registered he was back with Brian Wilson. That's good. I hope you get to go. Let us know how it goes - especially LincsMiller who is possibly The Beach Boys No. 1 fan in UK!
    Last edited by CTMilller; 13-09-2018 at 07:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by monty_rhodes View Post
    CT, I'm pleased you bid. Sorry to hear about your sister. My eldest brother died in April exactly a year after my mother and like you its brought the old days in Rotherham back a lot. He was very involved in the local music scene in the fifties and early sixties.
    Thank you Monty. Who knows in this small world perhaps your brother and my sister knew each other. She went out with Peter Shellcock whose mum owned the tobacconists/ newsagents on, I think, Effingham Street. Anyway, a shared perspective for both of us.

Thank you Monty. Who knows in this small world perhaps your brother and my sister knew each other. She went out with Peter Shellcock whose mum owned the tobacconists/ newsagents on, I think, Effingham Street. Anyway, a shared perspective for both of us.
    My sister is 75 and still lives in Rotherham. She remembers the Columba Hall music scene. Her husband's family ran the Carter's Rest pub on College Road. I shall run the name Peter Shellcock past her.

Quote Originally Posted by BigLadonOS View Post
    One of my fave covers to this day I still have it on every playlist I make. Loved it from being a kid and stayed with me into my 60's

Peter, Paul and Mary - The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face

I'd not heard that before, BigLad. I've just listened to a You Tube live recording and I have to agree, it's fantastic. My previous favourite version was the one by Gordon Lightfoot but this is PP&M offering is better - by a wide margin.

I'd not heard that before, BigLad. I've just listened to a You Tube live recording and I have to agree, it's fantastic. My previous favourite version was the one by Gordon Lightfoot but this is PP&M offering is better - by a wide margin.
    C'mon lads. If there's any version better than Roberta Flack I haven't heard it.

CT, there's quite a few Shellcocks still in Rotherham and I found a reference from the early 1950s to Florence and Frederick, parents of Peter Frederick Shellcock. My old history research instincts are awakened and I'll see if I can trace them to Effingham Street or a newsagents.

Quote Originally Posted by LincsMiller View Post
    Wow, I lived opposite on Chemist Lane, Rebori ice cream parlour on the corner, wonderful art deco interior and ornate ice cream vans Attachment 10644
    Just goes to show what a small (ghostly?) world we live in. Sat in Massarella coffee shop in Barnsley scrolling through this thread. Looked up on the wall and there's a photo almost identical to this one of one of their old ice cream vans!

Back on the cover topic, always liked Elvis Costello's version of She

Page 9 of 34 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast