+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 24 of 34 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Cover versions

Quote Originally Posted by CTMilller View Post
    Fully agree with that assessment. Interestingly the other the song that Harry Nilsson made famous "Everybody's Talkin" doesn't get such a bumpy ride, at least in my view. I always loved Nilsson's rendition mainly because of its association with the excellent film "Midnight Cowboy" I didn't hear Fred Neil's original version until much later but immediately thought that was equally good. (I read somewhere that Neil made so much money from the popularity of Nilsson's recording, and its use in the film, he could fund his obsession with dolphins and go sailing pretty much for the rest of his life.)

Then I recently heard Stephen Still's version recorded with backing from Nash and Young and THAT'S really good, too.

Perhaps there are some songs that are hard to mess up or it was the luck of the draw. The right voice and arrangement for the right song?
    This is a very interesting observation, CT, and one which I have myself been toying with over the last few days. Are there tracks that are easier or harder to mess up? Again, CT, I would probably have "Everybody's Talkin" as a Desert Island Discs selection. I must listen to the other versions you mention.

Quote Originally Posted by monty_rhodes View Post
    I would probably have "Everybody's Talkin" as a Desert Island Discs selection. I must listen to the other versions you mention.

...try this for a different take on it.....

Its ironic really , most of the bands of my informative ****age years nearly all got started by doing cover versions, Searchers ( Sweet For My Sweet) The Hollies ( Stay and Just One Look) even the Stones with Not Fade Away to name but a few. Ive managed to collect most of the originals of which Ive compiled a playlist on Apple Music, other than copying them digitally and posting them out if anyone knows of a simpler way (legally) then they are welcome to a copy

Also, a lot of established bands turn to covers when they fear their song writing is diminishing. Sadly my favourites, Status Quo, the original line up, finished with a string of said recordings.

Quote Originally Posted by Nogbad View Post
    ...try this for a different take on it.....

That's pretty good - a blues rendition of a piece of Americana.

Just shows what a good quality piece of music this is that it can be interpreted in such different way and come out largely unscathed!

Well, Lol, Nilsson's version is imcomparable. Hadn't realised Badfinger wrote it. Their version though is nothing special. Mariah Carey's is a few minutes of my life I can never get back. Awful.
    Dont forget the Air Supply version of Without you which I think isn't to bad.

This is a very interesting observation, CT, and one which I have myself been toying with over the last few days. Are there tracks that are easier or harder to mess up? Again, CT, I would probably have "Everybody's Talkin" as a Desert Island Discs selection. I must listen to the other versions you mention.
    This is also a good version by Paolo Nutini.

Amy Winehouse does a fantastic version of the Zutons song "Valery"
    Someone on Youtube recons to have found the original version of the song that was supposedly made in 1965/66. What do you think?

Another great cover from a band you wouldn't expect to sound this great on a Temptations classic song. Ella Fitzgerald also does a good version but I like this one better.

I think BigLad that the original Valerie was released in 1960 by Jackie and the Starlites. They were a black doo-wop band and this was their only hit'

The Zutons mixed up the order of the words, presumably to throw people off the scent of easily the best version of Valerie. That featured on the album Burnt Weeny Sandwich by Zappa and the Mothers. In this 1969 version Frank does it for real i.e. no pisstakes, parodies or anything else. Frank could play in any style and on this version he opens with wah wah guitar and then relaxes into a very slow almost somnolent version. Try it and I hope you like it.

Page 24 of 34 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast