+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Cover versions

Quote Originally Posted by Lolmorgan View Post
    Have you listened to any of their other stuff,pure ****e imo,but I do like this one.
    agreed. The orchestra on that is great though.

I've always liked Buddy Holly's original 1957 version of "Not Fade Away" - I inherited the 45rpm disc from my older sister - but The Stones do it even better. When they started they were exclusively a band who covered other people's records. It wasn't until the brilliant "Tell Me" that they had a hit with their own material. In my book "Not fade Away" was the best of those cover hits together with "Little Red Rooster" - though the Willie Dixon original of this was pretty obscure

Quote Originally Posted by CTMilller View Post
    I've always liked Buddy Holly's original 1957 version of "Not Fade Away" - I inherited the 45rpm disc from my older sister - but The Stones do it even better. When they started they were exclusively a band who covered other people's records. It wasn't until the brilliant "Tell Me" that they had a hit with their own material. In my book "Not fade Away" was the best of those cover hits together with "Little Red Rooster" - though the Willie Dixon original of this was pretty obscure
    That's some interesting stuff about the early Stones, CT. I almost included a song of theirs on the OP, Out of Time, the Chris Farlowe version being my favourite. Another song where I like two different versions is Reason to Believe by Tim Hardin and Rod Stewart. And another song covered many times and originally intended for The Righteous Brothers is We Gotta Get Out of This Place, the Animals' version is for me the theme tune to the Vietnam War. Fantastic.

Not a Phil Collins fan, in fact as a person I think he's a cock but his version of 'groovy kind of love' is far better than the Mindbenders original.

Quote Originally Posted by loyalmiller View Post
    Not a Phil Collins fan, in fact as a person I think he's a cock but his version of 'groovy kind of love' is far better than the Mindbenders original.
    Never heard the Collins version. Mindbenders never the same after Wayne Fontana walked out. Road Runner and Game of Love were pretty good. Pretty sure I met WF at the Twist Club in Rotherham around 1965. He was a mate of a band called Mike Condor and the Drifters who hailed from Rotherham and were on at the Twist Club.

Was your old mate, Kempo, with you? By his reckoning he would have been four years old at the time, so the doormen might not have let him in!

Groovy kind of love was recorded earlier than the Mindbenders but I can recall by who.

Quote Originally Posted by monty_rhodes View Post
    Never heard the Collins version. Mindbenders never the same after Wayne Fontana walked out. Road Runner and Game of Love were pretty good. Pretty sure I met WF at the Twist Club in Rotherham around 1965. He was a mate of a band called Mike Condor and the Drifters who hailed from Rotherham and were on at the Twist Club.
    I have this Fontana track.......... ****ing ace track too.

Quote Originally Posted by CTMilller View Post
    Great call, CT. Just been listening to some early Stones stuff recorded during their BBC "On Air" sessions. Some wonderful covers on there mate.

Quote Originally Posted by mikemiller View Post
    Was your old mate, Kempo, with you? By his reckoning he would have been four years old at the time, so the doormen might not have let him in!
    This is the place. I think that Stuart Hope was the son of the landlord of the Bridge Inn and seem to remember he was killed in a motorbike crash?
    https://www.rotherhamadvertiser.co.u...t-68_15578.htm

Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast