+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Cover versions

Quote Originally Posted by sota View Post
    Great call, CT. Just been listening to some early Stones stuff recorded during their BBC "On Air" sessions. Some wonderful covers on there mate.
    Thanks for the link to the BBC "On Air" sessions, Sota. This was new to me and I've spent a very enjoyable hour or two going through some of those early Stones cover versions. While I generally think they improved on the songs they reinterpreted this wasn't always the case. I've always quite liked their version of "You'd Better Move On" However, because it was include in the "On Air" sessions, I went and listened to the Arthur Alexander original, a very early (1962) recording at the FAME Recording Studios in Muscle Shoals, and it was much better! I wonder if it was recordings like this that influenced Keith eventually to go and record at Muscle Shoals. (It has a fascinating history and a road trip there is high on my list of priorities over the next couple of years...)

Quote Originally Posted by CTMilller View Post
    Thanks for the link to the BBC "On Air" sessions, Sota. This was new to me and I've spent a very enjoyable hour or two going through some of those early Stones cover versions. While I generally think they improved on the songs they reinterpreted this wasn't always the case. I've always quite liked their version of "You'd Better Move On" However, because it was include in the "On Air" sessions, I went and listened to the Arthur Alexander original, a very early (1962) recording at the FAME Recording Studios in Muscle Shoals, and it was much better! I wonder if it was recordings like this that influenced Keith eventually to go and record at Muscle Shoals. (It has a fascinating history and a road trip there is high on my list of priorities over the next couple of years...)
    Arthur Alexander is frequently accorded the title of Best Singer You Never Heard Of. I have to confess I have never been able to take to the Stones - I simply don't like Jagger's vocals. Sorry but there it is and I am generally in a minority of one on this among friends so it may be me.

Quote Originally Posted by monty_rhodes View Post
    Never heard the Collins version. Mindbenders never the same after Wayne Fontana walked out. Road Runner and Game of Love were pretty good. Pretty sure I met WF at the Twist Club in Rotherham around 1965. He was a mate of a band called Mike Condor and the Drifters who hailed from Rotherham and were on at the Twist Club.
    Talking of the Twist Club, found this on Ebay, (USA) Anyone know a S.Dawson i wonder? .

Name:  s-l225.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  7.2 KB
    On the topic of cover versions, Harry Nillsons " Without You" is a million miles different from
    Badfingers original version

Quote Originally Posted by LincsMiller View Post
    Talking of the Twist Club, found this on Ebay, (USA) Anyone know a S.Dawson i wonder? .

Name:  s-l225.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  7.2 KB
    On the topic of cover versions, Harry Nillsons " Without You" is a million miles different from
    Badfingers original version
    The Twist Club card was on offer at $21!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't know who S.Dawson was sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by monty_rhodes View Post
    The Twist Club card was on offer at $21!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't know who S.Dawson was sadly.

£3.24 today Monty, I can't remember how much the membership was. I was a regular and never needed a card to get in.
    The building itself ( Sheffield Rd swimming baths) had very little ambience , just a large mirror ball suspended from the glass roof , but it had a good vibe Sunday nights and loads of pubs within 200 yards!! Happy days

The thing with covers of cause, is that all the hard work has been done. Just a case of putting your mark on them. I see lots of cover bands, with brilliant musicians, doing songs better than the originals, but that's all they are, copies versions.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolmorgan View Post
    First saw Buckley sing this on Old grey Whistle Test.
    Yes it was a great version. He was playing it even in the late 60's, so he obviously loved the song and its sentiments.

N[QUOTE=LincsMiller;39011198]Talking of the Twist Club, found this on Ebay, (USA) Anyone know a S.Dawson i wonder.

"S Dawson" surely must be Stuart "Dinky" Dawson whose name has been mentioned a few times on this board and also on various Rotherham history related groups on Facebook.

Dinky was a pioneering sound engineer for some of the great bands of the sixties and seventies - including the original Pete Green version of Fleeetwood Mac and, after he moved to the US, notably for The Byrds. He grew up in Greasborough and was involved in the burgeoning music scene around Rotherham in the very early sixties. He may well have DJ'd at the Twist Club. I know he was involved with Peter Stringfellow's musical ventures at the time.

We need Sugar Tiler back for this. He was the one who first raised his name in one of his quiz questions on here. Famously Dinky took the whole Byrds entourage round to his mums house for a cup of tea when they were touring the UK. The band coach fetched up in Greasborough and there is a photo in circulation of them all outside the house. (One of Sugar's friends is in the picture.)
    Last edited by CTMilller; 11-09-2018 at 03:49 PM.

[QUOTE=CTMilller;39011439]N
    Talking of the Twist Club, found this on Ebay, (USA) Anyone know a S.Dawson i wonder.

"S Dawson" surely must be Stuart "Dinky" Dawson whose name has been mentioned a few times on this board and also on various Rotherham history related groups on Facebook.

Dinky was a pioneering sound engineer for some of the great bands of the sixties and seventies - including the original Pete Green version of Fleeetwood Mac and, after he moved to the US, notably for The Byrds. He grew up in Greasborough and was involved in the burgeoning music scene around Rotherham in the very early sixties. He may well have DJ'd at the Twist Club. I know he was involved with Peter Stringfellow's musical ventures at the time.

We need Sugar Tiler back for this. He was the one who first raised his name in one of his quiz questions on here. Famously Dinky took the whole Byrds entourage round to his mums house for a cup of tea when they were touring the UK. The band coach fetched up in Greasborough and there is a photo in circulation of them all outside the house. (One of Sugar's friends is in the picture.)
    Wow, CT, that's impressive! The ticket is probably a snip at £3.24.

[QUOTE=CTMilller;39011439]N
    Talking of the Twist Club, found this on Ebay, (USA) Anyone know a S.Dawson i wonder.

Hi CT, as Monty says the card may be a collectors item, we just need some provenance, would "Dinky" indeed have been a member ???
    Hope this finds you and yours all well

Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast