+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 LastLast

Thread: O/T Cover versions

Quote Originally Posted by BigLadonOS View Post
    Blondie did quite a good version of The Paragons - "The Tide Is High". I still prefer the Original tho.

Very good and like CT I think the violin works and I had assumed it was a Blondie original. I shall look out for more stuff by the Paragons.

Quote Originally Posted by CTMilller View Post
    I've never heard that before and didn't know there was a version before Blondie's. Have to agree it's very very good and I'd certainly say it's at least on a par with the cover. Particularly like the violin! An unusual instrument for reggae...
    There are tons and tons of songs that are cover versions that people think are originals but have been nicked from way way back in time. It is in common practice for virtually every mainstream artist unless they use only stuff written especially for them either by their own hand or someone else.

For example. I Heard It Through The Grapevine was originally recorded by Gladys Knight and the pips in 1967, then it was recorded by Smokey Robinson & The Miracles in 1968 and then later on in 1968 the Marvin Gay version was released on the album "In the Groove" and then was released as a single. So what most people think is the original version by Marvin have got it wrong.

The one that will shock a lot of people is that Otis Redding co,wrote and had a hit with the song "RESPECT" way before Aretha Franklin got a hold of it.

I think the most recent huge hit to be a cover version is the Adele song "Make you feel my love" which was written by Bob Dylan and performed by the man himself on an album and then was released as a single by Billy Joel first.

So many surprises on here with regards what were originals and what were cover versions. At least I can rest happy in the knowledge that Parkgate's own Jive Bunny did all their own stuff

Cover versions can also include just the sound track but not the lyrics as this video proves.
    This is Australian Crawl from 1981. You tell me what song and group ripped this track off.

jefferson airplane's "Somebody To Love" was originally by a band called "The Great Society" who's singer (Grace Slick) was later to become the singer with jefferson airplane. Grace left "The Great Society" to join jefferson airplane and the band disbanded shortly after she left. Airplane's other big hit "White Rabbit" was also an original by "The Great Society"

I have decided that in the time left to me before the great referee in the sky blows his whistle I can either write the great English novel, travel the world a few times or listen to all the links BigLad puts up on this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by BigLadonOS View Post
    Cover versions can also include just the sound track but not the lyrics as this video proves.
    This is Australian Crawl from 1981. You tell me what song and group ripped this track off.

Well the starts very Bryan Adams Summer 69 the rest sweet child of mine (Guns n Roses)
    Last edited by Lolmorgan; 19-10-2018 at 09:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by monty_rhodes View Post
    I have decided that in the time left to me before the great referee in the sky blows his whistle I can either write the great English novel, travel the world a few times or listen to all the links BigLad puts up on this thread.
    I would deffo go with the 2nd option monty but while your waiting ld like to draw your attention to this little beauty

Twist and Shout (originally called "Shake It Up, Baby" by "The Beatles" was originally recorded by "The Top Notes" in 1961. The Beatles version in 1963 was the 3rd version of the song as "The Isley Brothers" covered it before them.

Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 LastLast