+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 21 of 34 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Cover versions

Stop Your Sobbing by The Pretenders was much better than The Kinks' original version. I think it was the first single by The Pretenders too.

Ps Chrissie Hynde's version of Creep is spell binding.
    Last edited by sota; 23-09-2018 at 10:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CTMilller View Post
    I'm a massive Jackson Browne fan and have been ever since I saw his set on the Old Grey Whistle Test in, I think, 1972 when his first album had just come out in the UK. (It's called simply 'Jackson Browne' but tends to be called "Saturate Before Using" because of the front cover graphics.) "Late For The Sky" was his third album released in 1974 after "Everyman".

(Sugar Tiler of these boards briefly met Browne at the time of the OGWT performance and has told me a little of those times. Sugar was a minion in Browne's record company's London office and was responsible for shepherding him between appointments.)

There are many covers of many of his songs. The one I would mention is Nico's version of "These Days". (Nico of Velvet Underground fame.) I personally think very little of it but it is often quoted as one of those tracks that is better than the original. To me it just represents a different style and the best I can say is that it's typical of that different style...

Browne and Nico had a brief fling when he was still in his ****s. She was attracted to his pretty-boy looks but soon spat him out rather publicly - not very nice. In fact there isn't much that is very nice about Nico in my book - apart from her looks...
    Nico's voice is terrible, I have always wondered how people could listen to her and not want to bang their heads against a brick wall.

Björk brought new life to Betty Hutton's version (that was also a cover of Harry (Horst) Winter's original German version) of "It's Oh So Quiet" I thought it was so funny when the music industry went nuts over this song and lauded Björk as such a great song writer lol.

Quote Originally Posted by sota View Post
    Stop Your Sobbing by The Pretenders was much better than The Kinks' original version. I think it was the first single by The Pretenders too.

Ps Chrissie Hynde's version of Creep is spell binding.
    Best cover I've heard of Creep is by a bloke from AGT

Quote Originally Posted by Lolmorgan View Post
    Just for a bit of fun watch Ukulele band of Britain doing psycho killer ( Talking Heads) it did make me laugh.
    Actually better than the original if you ask me.

Damnnnnnnnnnn. I'm a massive Bowie fan and I love this song but by god do they do this justice.
    I thought it would be a bit gimmicky and a laugh but blow me I really liked and enjoyed this version.

Has anybody got a song they want killing? Quickly and as painfully as possible?

Give it to Joan Baez. It's her forte. When she first met Dylan she believed she was the star and he was just a tiro from Hibbing. He soon put her straight about that and many other things. JB came to adore Dylan and he had to suffer her attentions (probably to this very day).

Two songs of his she butchered remorselessly. The classic 'Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands' and 'Sara'. Did you write Sara for me? Joan gushed. 'No' he replied', the woman I love.'

Joan adored Dylan to the last. He could take her or leave her. Mostly he left her. Dylan wasn't happy unless he had 3 or 4 women on the go at the same time, and he didn't care if they each knew about the other. James Brown, a *** machine? He was as good as a committed celibate compared to Dylan.

The only woman to say 'no' to him? Marianne Faithfull.

When I'm well enough to find the stamina, I'll relate the stunning news to me at least. The horrendous motorcycle accident that very nearly killed him and put him out of action for 4 years? It never happened.

Great to see you back Mr Z. Stevie Nicks has the same skill as Joan, I think.

If you want to entertain yourself for a couple of hours then go to youtube and search for "Postmodern Jukebox" you will enjoy yourself I promise.

This what they do.

Quote Originally Posted by BigLadonOS View Post
    Best cover I've heard of Creep is by a bloke from AGT

Very creepy indeed.

Page 21 of 34 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast