+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 25 of 34 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Cover versions

Somewhere else someone mentions 'Stay' of which there were no less than 3 classic versions: the first by the author Morris Williams and the Zodiacs, then the Hollies with Graham Nash on lead vocals (don't think Alan Clarke could climb that high) and finally another 3 years passed until The Four Seasons charted with the wonderful Frankie Valli hitting the high notes. I've always loved falsetto so I'd be greedy and present Roy Plomley with all 3 to count as 1 on my Desert Island.

That should read Maurice. Sorry Mo.
    Last edited by Zilzal; 28-09-2018 at 11:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zilzal View Post
    I think BigLad that the original Valerie was released in 1960 by Jackie and the Starlites. They were a black doo-wop band and this was their only hit'

The Zutons mixed up the order of the words, presumably to throw people off the scent of easily the best version of Valerie. That featured on the album Burnt Weeny Sandwich by Zappa and the Mothers. In this 1969 version Frank does it for real i.e. no pisstakes, parodies or anything else. Frank could play in any style and on this version he opens with wah wah guitar and then relaxes into a very slow almost somnolent version. Try it and I hope you like it.
    Sorry Zil, I'm not a big Zappa fan, in fact I would go as far as saying that I really did not like Zappa at all. He could play the **** out of the guitar but for me thats all I can say good about him. Sorry mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Zilzal View Post
    Somewhere else someone mentions 'Stay' of which there were no less than 3 classic versions: the first by the author Morris Williams and the Zodiacs, then the Hollies with Graham Nash on lead vocals (don't think Alan Clarke could climb that high) and finally another 3 years passed until The Four Seasons charted with the wonderful Frankie Valli hitting the high notes. I've always loved falsetto so I'd be greedy and present Roy Plomley with all 3 to count as 1 on my Desert Island.

That should read Maurice. Sorry Mo.
    Maurice Williams & the Zodiacs is the definitive version of the song for me, I'm not struck on either of the other two recordings you mention. Again I'm sorry mate.

As a record collector back in the day you found stuff that you just wouldn't drop on in any other hobby.

This is what Dolly Parton sounded like before her Country hits.

Quote Originally Posted by BigLadonOS View Post
    As a record collector back in the day you found stuff that you just wouldn't drop on in any other hobby.

This is what Dolly Parton sounded like before her Country hits.

Who knew?!

Sounds like a thin Crystals/Shirelles knock off in parts but a second playing and it becomes enjoyable. However, I just checked the release date - 1966! Thats about three years after this kind of music was hitting it big. The Beatles released "Revolver" that year. Dolly's song must have sounded very dated at the time.

There are a lot of tracks to listen to here so I will work through them after my morning constitutional. Zil, apologies in advance but I shall be giving FZ a miss.

Quote Originally Posted by CTMilller View Post
    That's pretty good - a blues rendition of a piece of Americana.

Just shows what a good quality piece of music this is that it can be interpreted in such different way and come out largely unscathed!
    That's a big group! The version was OK but for me lacked the essential pathos of Nilsson's rendition.

Quote Originally Posted by monty_rhodes View Post
    That's a big group! The version was OK but for me lacked the essential pathos of Nilsson's rendition.
    For once I agree with you Monty, lacking some feeling. For the same reason I also don't like the ukulele pluckers version of Heroes although I do like some of their other stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    For once I agree with you Monty, lacking some feeling. For the same reason I also don't like the ukulele pluckers version of Heroes although I do like some of their other stuff.
    I have just spent 20 minutes listening to versions of "Stay". Controversially I didn't much rate the Zodiacs or the Hollies (too fast) the YouTube version of Frankie Valli was awful (but I've heard him sing this really well elsewhere) and Cindy Lauper should have stayed at home. My favourite was Jackson browne with Rosemary Butler and Lindley singing falsetto. It only need a few ukuleles to make it perfect!

Page 25 of 34 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast