+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 31 of 34 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Cover versions

Speaking of The Commitments, local lad Paul Duffy toured with them for about 6 years. He can play most Irish instruments but is also well known for playing the sax whilst walking a tightrope.

His pub here hit hard times so his mate Brian Johnson started hanging out there and it soon got busy again for a while, but then business dropped off again so Brian and some of his mates did a gig in the car park at $5 a ticket :-)

Any man that can play the sax whilst walking a tightrope gets my vote. I have trouble whistling and walking at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by sota View Post
    Speaking of The Commitments, local lad Paul Duffy toured with them for about 6 years. He can play most Irish instruments but is also well known for playing the sax whilst walking a tightrope.

His pub here hit hard times so his mate Brian Johnson started hanging out there and it soon got busy again for a while, but then business dropped off again so Brian and some of his mates did a gig in the car park at $5 a ticket :-)
    So this is Brian Johnson from AC/DC, Sota? It all happens in Sarasota!

Quote Originally Posted by CTMilller View Post
    So this is Brian Johnson from AC/DC, Sota? It all happens in Sarasota!
    Ah, CT, now all is clear. I misread the name and supposed dear old Brian Johnston had turned up with the TMS team doing his "leg over" gags.

Quote Originally Posted by monty_rhodes View Post
    Ah, CT, now all is clear. I misread the name and supposed dear old Brian Johnston had turned up with the TMS team doing his "leg over" gags.
    It took a little googling for me to work this out too, Monty. I'm not knowledgable on bands like AC/DC. I was in danger of being as stumped as you were!

(It's a good story from Sota, though, and authentic.)

In the process of looking this up I also read an interesting piece on what happened to the cast of the original "Commitments" film. Very mixed fortunes. Two of them (the bass player and the first drummer ) kept a band going using that name and they toured quite successfully. This presumably was the outfit Sota's Paul Duffy joined as saxophonist.
    Last edited by CTMilller; 16-10-2018 at 03:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CTMilller View Post
    It took a little googling for me to work this out too, Monty. I'm not knowledgable on bands like AC/DC. I was in danger of being as stumped as you were!

(It's a good story from Sota, though, and authentic.)

In the process of looking this up I also read an interesting piece on what happened to the cast of the original "Commitments" film. Very mixed fortunes. Two of them (the bass player and the first drummer ) kept a band going using that name and they toured quite successfully. This presumably was the outfit Sota's Paul Duffy joined as saxophonist.
    Yes, when sota mentioned the Commitments touring I hadn't realised they had an existence beyond the film. I once saw AC/DC live at Lancaster Uni. They went down well but I can only really remember the guitarist with school shorts and a school cap on.

Yeah CT and Monty, Brian lives locally and I've encountered him a few times. He's a thoroughly good bloke.

Our daughter once went trick or treating when she was younger and called me to say that she and her group of friends had been invited into his house and would I like to talk to him lol

I thought it was a wind up at first but ended up chatting to him for about 20 minutes... I think he needed an English fix, I couldn't get him off the bloody phone ha ha

Quote Originally Posted by sota View Post
    Yeah CT and Monty, Brian lives locally and I've encountered him a few times. He's a thoroughly good bloke.
    You frigging name dropper, sota. Best I can do is there's a woman in the village who once appeared in Coronation Street but who now does gardening work.

Blondie did quite a good version of The Paragons - "The Tide Is High". I still prefer the Original tho.

Quote Originally Posted by BigLadonOS View Post
    Blondie did quite a good version of The Paragons - "The Tide Is High". I still prefer the Original tho.

I've never heard that before and didn't know there was a version before Blondie's. Have to agree it's very very good and I'd certainly say it's at least on a par with the cover. Particularly like the violin! An unusual instrument for reggae...

Page 31 of 34 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast