+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Wot No Moderators?

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    If there is an ending, I'm pretty sure the last words will be mine.
    Congrats to Swale and Cher for finally saying no to a job that they apparently long didn't want to do, helped someone else to profit by and at zero recompense to themselves. I wish you both the best with your new found freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    The claims that Williams was treated in a ***ist or racist way in the final have been shown to be ridiculous, so the people making those claims have moved onto the cartoon.

Not sure the cartoonist meant it, but that could certainly be interpreted as racist, even in its depiction of Osaka as being white.
    Great post bud.

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    Spot the difference!
    This whole episode shows how little advance there has been in women's lib and in racial equality - and it isn't the white male holding them back.

It's strange isn't it. Ilie Nastase and John MacEnroe made a career out of being vile to umpires. I do wonder if they were treated the same way by the press (too long ago to recall), or if they were actually admired by some for their 'masculine' behaviour.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    The claims that Williams was treated in a ***ist or racist way in the final have been shown to be ridiculous, so the people making those claims have moved onto the cartoon.

Not sure the cartoonist meant it, but that could certainly be interpreted as racist, even in its depiction of Osaka as being white.
    So what you would say burning the National Flag down Meadow Lane ( or whatever it's called this time next week ) be interpreted as?
    Lets not get away from if you did or didn't , we both know you did .

ps. I think the mods ( ex) did you a favour there fatboy, removing such an offensive post but not before little old navypie had seen it.
    Last edited by navypie; 12-09-2018 at 10:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cher1 View Post
    It's strange isn't it. Ilie Nastase and John MacEnroe made a career out of being vile to umpires. I do wonder if they were treated the same way by the press (too long ago to recall), or if they were actually admired by some for their 'masculine' behaviour.
    Big difference IMO....neither went whining to the press about ***ism or racism (those terms hadn't been invented back then)....they "kicked off", had a point deducted and got on with it....plus, I never saw anybody blubbing at the presentation.

Quote Originally Posted by tarquinbeech View Post
    Big difference IMO....neither went whining to the press about ***ism or racism (those terms hadn't been invented back then)....they "kicked off", had a point deducted and got on with it....plus, I never saw anybody blubbing at the presentation.
    If they had been fined and suspended from the next grand slam or two this wouldn't be happening. But the sponsors wanted the likes of Mc Enroe playing so they were allowed to go on ''cheating''. It is about time some of these sport prima donnas took a leaf out of what happens in rugby and horse racing.

https://www.cartoonstock.com/directo...hn_mcenroe.asp

I find that the comparative clips I've seen show Williams to certainly pull a 'lesser' tantrum than many of the others... she definitely barely shouts compared to them... but like them, she did smash the racket. There may indeed be a case that she was treated a little over harshly by the officials should like incidents be compared, but I don't really know how their punishments compared so I can't speak to that. As for admiration, I personally found Macenroe es al;s fits quite entertaining - wouldn't say I 'admire masculine behaviour' though.

Overall though, I'd say that if marginalized people (blacks, women, etc) are going to be successful in advancing their anti-discrimination cause, then there's much better poster-child incidents to choose from than when a celebrity acts like an arse. Making a mountain out of incidents like this is what gives some of us on the left a bad name. And the backlash is that the right goes and elects the likes of Trump. It may be like cutting off the nose to spite the face, but such is the result!

Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post
    So what you would say burning the National Flag down Meadow Lane ( or whatever it's called this time next week ) be interpreted as?
    Lets not get away from if you did or didn't , we both know you did .

ps. I think the mods ( ex) did you a favour there fatboy, removing such an offensive post but not before little old navypie had seen it.
    Hic...You’ve got a right bee in your bonnet about that haven’t you? That thread was about “freedom of speech” if I remember rightly and I suggested to some of those who think they’re big advocates of it if it would be alright if I went down ML and burnt a St George’s cross outside the ground. No idea if it was my post that got that thread deleted, but I’d be amazed if it was, given some of the stuff that does go unchallenged.

It’s a complex issue, and I’m not sure you would understand the idea of a thought experiment or hypothetical situation but try and give it a go. Maybe before you’ve started on the rum rations.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast