+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This New Euro Cup Thingy

This New Euro Cup Thingy

This new Euro cup competition kicks off today for England against Spain.

It is designed to get rid of the pointless friendlies and give meaning to the international breaks in the top leagues. It shoud see the end of 6 substitutions in a game making the second half of them being played out at a decent standard and not giving caps away willy nilly like we've seen in the past.

With 4 groups of 12 teams divided into four mini groups within them the teams could face a relegation and promotion situation. The winners of the goups will go into a semi final and then a final to win the overall competition.

We're grouped with Croatie and Spain in our little group so I can't see us going all the way in it but then again I wouldn't have thought Spain would have crashed and burned in the World cup either.

The only thing that has seriously got to me is that it isn't on free to air tv. Instead Sky were given the rights to show the matches.
    Today I watched a guy from the FA saying how they are wanting the national team reconnect with the nation. By giving the rights to Sky how are they reconnecting with anything other than financially with the funders of the Premiership which has had a massive effect on reducing the amount of English talent spending their match times in the stands instead of on the pitch?
    Not ony are their only 17 under 21 year olds playing regular in the top leagues of Europe but now the FA have decided to isolate the public and disconnecting again with the public by not allowing the majority of the people of England the chance to watch the bloody matches?

I understand that it is market forces that dictates the way football is going but this should have been stopped from happening. The qualifiers where covered on ITV and they did a good job in doing it. Before that the BBC covered the qualifiers.
    One of these companies or Channel 4 or 5 should have got the rights! The England games should have been free for everyone to have access to them.

This decision by The FA is shocking!!!

yep - the FA sold its soul to the Murdoch empire many years ago...

Quote Originally Posted by mikemiller View Post
    Indeed they did.

Personally I have no interest in this pointless competition

Switzerland 6-0 Iceland

Arnason an unused sub

Quote Originally Posted by mikemiller View Post
    Wasnt it the Premier League that sold out to Murdoch years ago? The FA Cup and England games were traditionally on free to view. This is the first time Ive known an international tournament on Sky.

UEFA Nations league

The rejuvenation of national team football – and the UEFA Nations League – stems from the desire of UEFA and its 55 member associations to improve the quality and standing of national team football. UEFA and its associations wanted more sporting meaning in national team football, with associations, coaches, players and supporters increasingly of the opinion that friendly matches are not providing adequate competition for national teams.

Prem won’t like it especially when their players get injured, I suppose this is why they want a winter break.

Btw apart from Rashfords goal England were rubbish
    Last edited by millertop; 09-09-2018 at 07:42 AM.

Although it was a Spanish team that was nowhere near as good as their World/Euro Cup winning squads, it still looked sharper than England when it mattered.
    England -6 shots on target, 4 corners, 1 goal
    Spain - 4 shots on target, 1 corner, 2 goals

England (like the Millers) continue to be rather wasteful in front of the net, although the Rashford goal was very cleverly worked, and for once, finished off clinically.

I watched the highlights this morning and found that we hadn't really moved on but haven't gone backwards since the World Cup. The main problem is playing bothe Lingard and Ali in the same team. They are good players at club level but there is something missing from them both defensively at international level.
    I think that Kane doesn't benefit from Ali being in the team as he does when they both play for Spurs.

On a positive note I think that defensively we are probably up there with the best internationally. The 5 at the back cannot do it on their own though! The midfield is none existant and opposition players are left to run where ever they like unmarked giving the defence no chance at times.

Quote Originally Posted by frogmiller View Post
    This new Euro cup competition kicks off today for England against Spain.
    It is designed to get rid of the pointless friendlies and give meaning to the international breaks in the top leagues. It shoud see the end of 6 substitutions in a game making the second half of them being played out at a decent standard and not giving caps away willy nilly like we've seen in the past.
    With 4 groups of 12 teams divided into four mini groups within them the teams could face a relegation and promotion situation. The winners of the goups will go into a semi final and then a final to win the overall competition.
    We're grouped with Croatie and Spain in our little group so I can't see us going all the way in it but then again I wouldn't have thought Spain would have crashed and burned in the World cup either.
    I hope we'll start to see the positives in this idea and get used to it a bit more as the season move on, and I like the idea of effectively scrapping pointless friendlies. But whats the next match on Tuesday ?, ohh yes another pointless friendly against Schweisse!!.
    We're in a tough group with Spain & Croatia but hopefully this will teach our young squad a lot more than friendlies ever could, and I like the way Southgate comes across and hes got a lot of us interested in the England team again.

So we’re told that this competition is to replace the pointless friendlies.

Why not just scrap the pointless friendlies?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast