+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Threads

Quote Originally Posted by sota View Post
    Thanks Brin. I had a walk around the estate a couple of years ago and it seemed better than I remembered it. Loads of houses look like they have been bought by the people in them and looked really nice.

I believe they are building on Greenfield Bankings, which is really sad as I have great memories of playing football on there for hours on end.... until it got too dark to see, or we got called in for tea lol
    I can't remember Greenfield Bankings, sota; where was it exactly? We used to play football on a field in East Dene somewhere between Valley Road and Far Lane but I can't spot it now on any map and I can't remember how we got to it. I think it had goalposts up but I may be misremembering. Used to play on the green in front of our house on Ridgeway but some people complained and the council put a No Ball Games sign up.

Getting beyond a joke now with these O/T threads and yes they are only put up for one reason only by certain threads.

Why are posters vanishing?

Quote Originally Posted by millertop View Post
    Getting beyond a joke now with these O/T threads and yes they are only put up for one reason only by certain threads.

Can't see the problem.

What's your problem? Don't read the frigging things; I don't read half the threads on here. I don't know if posters are vanishing or why but quite a few posters (particularly those who have left Rotherham) are interested in these nostalgia trips.

I don’t read the frigging things but can’t see football post for wind up merchants or egos whatever the reason

I don’t read the frigging things but can’t see football post for wind up merchants or egos whatever the reason
    Your constant hyperbolic interventions on this topic are a bit tiresome. If you consider the facts; on pages 1 and 2 eight different posters put up OT threads, only two of those posters put up more than one. I put up one, the Cover Versions thread which quite a few posters seem to have found of interest. The truth is there isn't always much to say on football topics, certainly not RUFC topics, and I note that a majority of RUFC ones were covered elsewhere anyway, either on the Official site or in the Star or Advertiser. Your objections are both irrational and misplaced: if the mods banned OT subjects the site would quickly die imo. It's pure hearsay to suggest posters have stopped visiting MM because of OT topics and I suggest you give it a rest and allow others to pursue their own interests.

Do you think that the demise of MillersMad is because of these O/T threads? I would say that posters are finding their information on other social media streams now after the implosion of MM a couple of years ago when its owners FootyMad were bought out and we had to endure the streams of adverts. Them trying to make us take out a £2 a month subscription didn't help and then finally they stopped anyone being able to read the site who had installed âddblôckers.

There was a very poisiness point leading up to that when people were being abusive beyond anywhere near reasonable.

We are left with what used to be a great site to one that's happily continuing in the vien most of us would like it to.

That is apart from the people not allowing others start threads under the O/T rule without taking offence at who wrote it. To be quite honest it is petty to try and hound this off the board regardless of if it's in the rules or not.
    The reason O/T is written in the title is to alert users that that particular thread is not about football. It's not rocket science and it doesn't take much to get out of an O/T thread if anyone accidently clicks onto one.

It's been mentioned by some higher up on the thread of the benefits for those of us that are no longer living in Rotherham. It can be a great source of information about the town and club that we come from and all support. To try and stop this is just wrong because it has been going on since the start of MillersMad and it has never looked like dying.

I have met, dined and had some some great times with people that I have met through on here. People who I didn't and wouldn't have known bar for this site have become good friends at best and mates at worst.

You take out of it what you can or want and you put into it as much or as little as you want or can.

If you don't want to read anything other that the football stuff then don't press on the O/T subjects.
    Last edited by frogmiller; 11-09-2018 at 09:11 AM.

Frog, you couldn't have put that any clearer.

Quote Originally Posted by monty_rhodes View Post
    I can't remember Greenfield Bankings, sota; where was it exactly? We used to play football on a field in East Dene somewhere between Valley Road and Far Lane but I can't spot it now on any map and I can't remember how we got to it. I think it had goalposts up but I may be misremembering. Used to play on the green in front of our house on Ridgeway but some people complained and the council put a No Ball Games sign up.
    Monty, I think the pice of land you may be referring to was between Valley Road and Far Lane that became the LANES housing complex mainly for old folk. This was started in circa 1969/70. I recall this because it was a short cut down off Far Lane where my late GranParents use to live at number 111. My best mate at school lived in the oval opposite the post office.

Once the building commenced a nasty old watchman with an enormous Alsatian use to chase us through the building site if he caught us trying to take the short cut.

Back to your way of making your way to Gibbings Greaves wood, we as a gang of kids also used Cawthonre Road then Cawthorne Close to access the woods. Being lazy buggers though, we would go right to the top end of Farnsworth and attempt to cut through a certain garden so we'd be on the top filed without the hike off Cawthorne Close. That field looked massive to climb but viewing it now it's no more than a slope lol.

We used to ride our broken down motorbikes all up and down that field. BSA bantams, Villiers 250's and my BSA 250 C15. Great times.

I grew up in Bramley but still find the post interesting. Even though you are foreigners.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast