+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Monty, I think the pice of land you may be referring to was between Valley Road and Far Lane that became the LANES housing complex mainly for old folk. This was started in circa 1969/70. I recall this because it was a short cut down off Far Lane where my late GranParents use to live at number 111. My best mate at school lived in the oval opposite the post office.

Once the building commenced a nasty old watchman with an enormous Alsatian use to chase us through the building site if he caught us trying to take the short cut.

Back to your way of making your way to Gibbings Greaves wood, we as a gang of kids also used Cawthonre Road then Cawthorne Close to access the woods. Being lazy buggers though, we would go right to the top end of Farnsworth and attempt to cut through a certain garden so we'd be on the top filed without the hike off Cawthorne Close. That field looked massive to climb but viewing it now it's no more than a slope lol.

We used to ride our broken down motorbikes all up and down that field. BSA bantams, Villiers 250's and my BSA 250 C15. Great times.
    Cheers, Brin. I think you've identified the spot where we played in the early 1960s. Didn't know the Big Woods and/or Little Woods were called Gibbings Greaves. Great times as you say.

Quote Originally Posted by sickly_child View Post
    I grew up in Bramley but still find the post interesting. Even though you are foreigners.
    My mother ended up living in Wickersley. Can't remember going to Bramley but often went fishing at Ravenfield Ponds.

Brin, I remember we used to go along a narrow alley from Mowbray Place through an odd kind of oval of houses and then up to the steps going up to far lane. Before they moved to EH my parents lived after the war in a rented house right on the railway at Primrose Hill off Greasborough Road. Went up last year but it's a small industrial esate now and the site of the house is occupied by Thai Food Direct.
    Last edited by monty_rhodes; 11-09-2018 at 11:33 AM.

Monty, how close our living areas matched.

Our short cut to Far lane was down the slopes off Cawthorne Close and and across Herringthorpe Valley Road and through the snicket that came out into Sheridan Drive. Straight across this to the connecting snicket up a short slope to climb the steps onto Far Lane. The Post Office was then to our right, not sure if it's still a Post Office. We'd then walk up Badsley Moor Lane to Arnold Road nursery, my first school then as the years passed, up to Badsley Moor Lane Infants and Junior School up to 71 then it was a longer trudge to Spurley Hey Comp.

As for the Greasborough area I was born at 14 Hartley Lane in a railway rented house as my late Father was a signalman at the time.
    The lane still exists but you could drive past it if you didn't know it was there. Up to the top of Tenter Street and you come to the railway bridge. As you pass over the bridge, Hartley Lane is immediately on your right. Lived there up to 64 then moved to Shelley Road in Herringthorpe. Moved to Lockwood road in 67 and stayed up to 75.

Our short cut to Far lane was down the slopes off Cawthorne Close and and across Herringthorpe Valley Road and through the snicket that came out into Sheridan Drive. Straight across this to the connecting snicket up a short slope to climb the steps onto Far Lane. The Post Office was then to our right, not sure if it's still a Post Office. We'd then walk up Badsley Moor Lane to Arnold Road nursery, my first school then as the years passed, up to Badsley Moor Lane Infants and Junior School up to 71 then it was a longer trudge to Spurley Hey Comp.

As for the Greasborough area I was born at 14 Hartley Lane in a railway rented house as my late Father was a signalman at the time.
    The lane still exists but you could drive past it if you didn't know it was there. Up to the top of Tenter Street and you come to the railway bridge. As you pass over the bridge, Hartley Lane is immediately on your right. Lived there up to 64 then moved to Shelley Road in Herringthorpe. Moved to Lockwood road in 67 and stayed up to 75.

Do you know, when I were a lad you could get a tram down into t'town, buy three new suits an' an ovvercoat, four pair o' good boots, go an' see Frank Randall at t'Palace Theatre, get blind drunk, 'ave some steak an' chips, bunch o' bananas an' three stone o' monkey nuts an' still 'ave change out of a farthing.

Ha, often walked down Badsley Moor lane to the playing fields; my cousin lived on Tennyson Road. In 1964 I was in Kilnhurst but in 1965 moved back to Rotherham and lived 500 yards from your old house on Hartley Lane. I used to go down Rawmarsh Road and cross the Don on a bridge to Effingham Street but I couldn't find it last time I looked. I worked weekends in an aquarium shop in a terraced house. I think it might have been on Lindley Street or Bramwell Street but I just can't be sure now.

Quote Originally Posted by nakedtruth View Post
    Do you know, when I were a lad you could get a tram down into t'town, buy three new suits an' an ovvercoat, four pair o' good boots, go an' see Frank Randall at t'Palace Theatre, get blind drunk, 'ave some steak an' chips, bunch o' bananas an' three stone o' monkey nuts an' still 'ave change out of a farthing.
    I can't help noticing that for some reason you now seem simply to post odd p*ss takes on various threads.

Quote Originally Posted by monty_rhodes View Post
    Ha, often walked down Badsley Moor lane to the playing fields; my cousin lived on Tennyson Road. In 1964 I was in Kilnhurst but in 1965 moved back to Rotherham and lived 500 yards from your old house on Hartley Lane. I used to go down Rawmarsh Road and cross the Don on a bridge to Effingham Street but I couldn't find it last time I looked. I worked weekends in an aquarium shop in a terraced house. I think it might have been on Lindley Street or Bramwell Street but I just can't be sure now.
    Remember the old wooden bridge that abutted the now Rotherham bus station. I recall my dad leaving me in the car (old ford anglia) at the station side and to stop in the car. He was visiting a friends house where a row of terraced houses once stood where the register office and doctors walk in centre now stand.

The wooden bridge was almost ready for demolition and reflecting back, I do recall getting a good spanking for not staying in the car and crossing what was at the time a very dangerous old wooden bridge. Memories heh.

Quote Originally Posted by monty_rhodes View Post
    I can't help noticing that for some reason you now seem simply to post odd p*ss takes on various threads.
    Unlike you then?

Scared of losing your crown?

Monty, the bankings (as we called 'em) ran between Greenfield Road and Conway Crescent. There were also some bankings between Laudsdale Road and Oldfield Road, but they were a bit steep for footy. Both are over the other side of Ridgeway from you and Brin. I think Brin is right about the grass where The Lanes are now.

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast