+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Threads

Absolutely Monty.

Quote Originally Posted by sickly_child View Post
    Absolutely Monty.
    I was just thinking of you. A new wargame is just out that I'd like to buy: it's called Maori Wars asnd looks to be a very good treatment of the conflicts in the second half of the 19th century. It's by a company called Legion games and their stuff is always good.

As to the other topic, Frog has repeatedly explained to Millertop that his dream of a thriving board discussing only RUFC is an illusion and that OT is essential. Millertop seems to argue that OT is grudgingly acceptable BUT if posters start contributing to an OT thread in numbers this is bizarrely detracting from his footie threads and the mods should stop the threads. It's the logic of the madhouse but he's beyond reason. In the Glory Days of MM Mandy often posted OT and gino posted loads and hardly anything ever on football. Nobody complained ever about OT.

The Maori land wars are fascinating, no surprises we come out poorly. Michael King's History of New Zealand is a great read. Apparently Maori were one of the first to use trenches in battle.

Quote Originally Posted by sickly_child View Post
    The Maori land wars are fascinating, no surprises we come out poorly. Michael King's History of New Zealand is a great read. Apparently Maori were one of the first to use trenches in battle.
    I'll look the King book out as I know very little about NZ history. During the wars the Maori also used anti-artillery bunkers and a system of fortified villages. From a brief look we seem to have behaved pretty badly both before and during the conflicts.

To be fair every dominant culture tends to abuse. Got to give them their due the Maoris are tough buggers. A long story but my boy is adopted and is Maori, we are close to his Whanau (family), as well as Iwi (tribe) and therefore his cultural heritage.

Quote Originally Posted by millavanilla View Post
    Its not greasbro' though brin its thornhill near the clough..youd have to walk a good half hour or so over the fields to get to greasbro'
    Just revisiting and catching up on added posts from a few days ago.

Millavanilla, I stand corrected as you clearly point out to me it is the 'Thornhill' area of town I was born in and not Greasbro'.
    I don't know what prompted me to think of that.

As for fishing in the dam, I too have many fond memories of a gang of 15+ kids meandering from East Herrinthorpe on a warm Sunday morning. Why always Sunday to the dam? Some of us went off bird nesting, some fished with bits of rods and line while others just dove in and swam around like floundering ducklings and were lucky to get out at times. Happy times and memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Just revisiting and catching up on added posts from a few days ago.

Millavanilla, I stand corrected as you clearly point out to me it is the 'Thornhill' area of town I was born in and not Greasbro'.
    I don't know what prompted me to think of that.

As for fishing in the dam, I too have many fond memories of a gang of 15+ kids meandering from East Herrinthorpe on a warm Sunday morning. Why always Sunday to the dam? Some of us went off bird nesting, some fished with bits of rods and line while others just dove in and swam around like floundering ducklings and were lucky to get out at times. Happy times and memories.
    15+!!!!!!!!!! Enough for a war party, Brin. Don't remember going that far when I lived on Ridgeway but it became a regular haunt after we moved to Bridge Street, so I would have been up there lots at weekends and holidays from around 1964 to 1969. Used to take that little path from Church Street down to the first dam but quite often just fished that little stream. Sometimes carried on through the park, past Wentworth Woodhouse and on to fish the lake at Elsecar. Never caught a thing at Elsecar though.
    Last edited by monty_rhodes; 26-09-2018 at 01:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by monty_rhodes View Post
    15+!!!!!!!!!! Enough for a war party, Brin. Don't remember going that far when I lived on Ridgeway but it became a regular haunt after we moved to Bridge Street, so I would have been up there lots at weekends and holidays from around 1964 to 1969. Used to take that little path from Church Street down to the first dam but quite often just fished that little stream. Sometimes carried on through the park, past Wentworth Woodhouse and on to fish the lake at Elsecar. Never caught a thing at Elsecar though.
    you were lucky-I was under the impression that you could catch alsorts round Barnsley.

Quote Originally Posted by tom12026 View Post
    you were lucky-I was under the impression that you could catch alsorts round Barnsley.
    Well I've certainly landed a cracker from Barnsley. Proper box ticker that's for sure. Suppose I am a bit bias though..

Quote Originally Posted by monty_rhodes View Post
    . Monty it was a case of 'Where tha going?'...'We're off to dam a tha cumin?' and before you knew it half the street of kids had joined in. Apple raiding as we made our way to the dam, always sent the youngest over a wall/hedge to raid the apples as they very rarely got told off if caught!

We usually used the run down from Church Street as the gates off the main road were often locked. Recall once where the game keeper caught us climbing the mausoleum. Shot his bloody hand held air pistol a foot off my feet, as a warning to get down. Frightened the s.hite out of us.

Seemed an age to get there but two minutes coming back home. Back home we came having enjoyed our day out like foot soldiers for Kitchener.

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast