Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
Monty, I think the pice of land you may be referring to was between Valley Road and Far Lane that became the LANES housing complex mainly for old folk. This was started in circa 1969/70. I recall this because it was a short cut down off Far Lane where my late GranParents use to live at number 111. My best mate at school lived in the oval opposite the post office.

Once the building commenced a nasty old watchman with an enormous Alsatian use to chase us through the building site if he caught us trying to take the short cut.

Back to your way of making your way to Gibbings Greaves wood, we as a gang of kids also used Cawthonre Road then Cawthorne Close to access the woods. Being lazy buggers though, we would go right to the top end of Farnsworth and attempt to cut through a certain garden so we'd be on the top filed without the hike off Cawthorne Close. That field looked massive to climb but viewing it now it's no more than a slope lol.

We used to ride our broken down motorbikes all up and down that field. BSA bantams, Villiers 250's and my BSA 250 C15. Great times.
Cheers, Brin. I think you've identified the spot where we played in the early 1960s. Didn't know the Big Woods and/or Little Woods were called Gibbings Greaves. Great times as you say.