+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The worst ever start to a season?

The worst ever start to a season?

I don't mean statistically, I mean due the sheer weight of expectation after blowing some serious beans in the Summer and being tipped to win the league.

For me it didn't look right against Derby in pre-season and has gone down hill since.

I just don't understand what the hell is going on? I wasn't that impressed with the signings and the gaps in the squad are glaringly obvious, but on paper they should be better than this? We just look so poor! We aren't just losing, we are being battered by some seriously average teams.

Hardy's ego can't handle this...he will sell up soon.

Quote Originally Posted by KCNotts View Post
    I don't mean statistically, I mean due the sheer weight of expectation after blowing some serious beans in the Summer and being tipped to win the league.

For me it didn't look right against Derby in pre-season and has gone down hill since.

I just don't understand what the hell is going on? I wasn't that impressed with the signings and the gaps in the squad are glaringly obvious, but on paper they should be better than this? We just look so poor! We aren't just losing, we are being battered by some seriously average teams.

Good try, lol.

Nah, selling up would mean admitting defeat. He'll more than likely bring a few players in and hope that turns it around.

Let's make this absolutely clear. This is not Alan Hardy's fault. He has put his heart and soul and cash into trying to give this club a fresh start over the past two years and he deserves much, much better outcomes from the football professionals he has employed, including some recruited for considerable fees.

Everyone has their opinion about which managers they would appoint and which players we should have recruited, retained or released, but the current squad is on a good wage budget by League Two standards and have enough experience and ability to give much more and do much better than they are.

There were teams playing today in the Conference North and South who would have given Exeter a better game and gone down (if they went down) with more fight than this one-paced Notts team shows. Mark Stallard keeps saying it in his commentaries - this isn't about ability, it's about a basic lack of bottle, application and effort week on week. Our so-called professional players are performing way below the bare minimum standard the Chairman, manager or fans are entitled to expect.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    Let's make this absolutely clear. This is not Alan Hardy's fault. He has put his heart and soul and cash into trying to give this club a fresh start over the past two years and he deserves much, much better outcomes from the football professionals he has employed, including some recruited for considerable fees.

Everyone has their opinion about which managers they would appoint and which players we should have recruited, retained or released, but the current squad is on a good wage budget by League Two standards and have enough experience and ability to give much more and do much better than they are.

There were teams playing today in the Conference North and South who would have given Exeter a better game and gone down (if they went down) with more fight than this one-paced Notts team shows. Mark Stallard keeps saying it in his commentaries - this isn't about ability, it's about a basic lack of bottle, application and effort week on week. Our so-called professional players are performing way below the bare minimum standard the Chairman, manager or fans are entitled to expect.
    I don't think it is Hardy's fault. As an owner some of the things he has done have been outstanding. There were periods last season when being at Meadow Lane was a joy. I actually feel quite sorry for him, he deserves better.

I think Hardy's just not experienced enough when it comes to running a football club. Not his fault and he's not on his own . However I do feel deeply ashamed at this season's performances so far. I suspect we all do. Not just a matter of life and death said Bill Shankly. Too true. It's a crisis, not yet of the Fullerton scale but creping that way.
    I'll go next week. I'll clap and cheer and all that but I'm full of intrepidation for our club's future. Here's hoping.

Or even trepidation!

I don't think it is Hardy's fault. As an owner some of the things he has done have been outstanding. There were periods last season when being at Meadow Lane was a joy. I actually feel quite sorry for him, he deserves better.
    Much better. The received wisdom in the real world outside football is that if you work really hard and maintain a positive attitude, you will get your rewards, and if you don't, you won't. Alan Hardy has worked really hard and provided positive leadership which has worked in his other businesses, but he's being let down by a group of football employees who aren't pulling their weight. It's a symptom of a pampered, over-indulged industry where too many people get overpaid for shoddy work.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    Much better. The received wisdom in the real world outside football is that if you work really hard and maintain a positive attitude, you will get your rewards, and if you don't, you won't. Alan Hardy has worked really hard and provided positive leadership which has worked in his other businesses, but he's being let down by a group of football employees who aren't pulling their weight. It's a symptom of a pampered, over-indulged industry where too many people get overpaid for shoddy work.
    Hardy is being let down by his employees, but I do think he’s created some of this by his alleged demand for more attractive football, hence KN’s seemingly exclusive focus on forward players or anybody under 6ft.

Our track record when it comes to signing forwards has always been pretty disastrous, though - Tony Agana being the most obvious, but there’s probably a whole list of them (Rimmer, Jemson and Beadle spring to mind). Looks like we’ve done it again with Hemmings and Dennis, who seem too similar to play together. I’m struggling to remember either of them setting up a chance for each other.

Enzio may flit in and out of games, but he’s pretty much our only goal threat. Maybe it’s worth trying him and Steady up top at some point?

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    Hardy is being let down by his employees, but I do think he’s created some of this by his alleged demand for more attractive football, hence KN’s seemingly exclusive focus on forward players or anybody under 6ft.

Our track record when it comes to signing forwards has always been pretty disastrous, though - Tony Agana being the most obvious, but there’s probably a whole list of them (Rimmer, Jemson and Beadle spring to mind). Looks like we’ve done it again with Hemmings and Dennis, who seem too similar to play together. I’m struggling to remember either of them setting up a chance for each other.

Enzio may flit in and out of games, but he’s pretty much our only goal threat. Maybe it’s worth trying him and Steady up top at some point?

You mention Tony Agana as being pretty disastrous, what about Ricky Green who replaced the legend Les Bradd,now that was disastrous.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast