+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OPERATION STAY UP - What form's needed from now on in?

Quote Originally Posted by BanjoPie View Post
    Every team has a bad run in a season, I just think its a good thing to have ours early on in the season, we will come out of it very soon and come March we will be challenging for one of the play-off positions.

Forever the optimist Banjo

Given our horrendous form, I can’t believe we are potentially only a win away from getting out of the relegation zone. Shows you how much dross is in the league.

Also, seems strange to see Exeter third when they are so average - but I guess people were saying that about us last season.

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    Say no more. The talk is all about survival. No one thinks that Notts can recover lost ground and be serious playoff contenders. The club is in crisis and even Hardy's money can do very little to turn this one round.
    Ah, bless, Banjo.
    Has he got any dosh let El Squidney? There are rumblings.................

Quote Originally Posted by marky View Post
    The points tally required in that league to stay up fluctuates wildly more so than in any other league so one year you may need 52 points, the next 35 might be enough, I suspect this year it will be around that 35 mark again.
    This is true, but it's not a nice feeling going into the final months and weeks of the season worrying whether or not your mathematically safe from avoiding non-league. Finishing with less than 45 points pretty much guarantees that we'll still be sweating until the final three games or beyond as there's always the possibility that the team in 23rd will suddenly string a few wins together at the death.

I think we have to settle on 50 as a reasonable target, so we're looking at averaging 1.26 from here on in, which - worryingly would be a better ratio than any Notts manager since Curle was sacked other than Nolan. Of all the manager's we've had since being relegated from the 2nd tier 23 years ago, Kewell would need to be about half-way in the points ratio table at the end of this season. He doesn't have to be among the best managers we've had over the last two decades but he can't fall below the average.

What we is need is more points than Morecambe and Macclesfield. What’s more suprising is Altypie starting a thread about actual football. Who’d have thought it?!

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    What we is need is more points than Morecambe and Macclesfield. What’s more suprising is Altypie starting a thread about actual football. Who’d have thought it?!
    Desperate times call for desperate measures BFP.
    Did you manage to read all the way to the end of the post in one go?

The league this season will be very unpredictable I think. Working it out that around a point per game over the whole season will leave you under real threat of relegation, the bottom 7 clubs at the moment are in that position. So the safety point could be lower which would help us.

No disrespect to Morecambe or Macclesfield but if we can't finish above them, taking into account the amount we've spent etc., it will be nothing short of disaster!

Do I think we will be relegated? No
    Are we in a relegation battle after just 7 games? With the dreadful form we've shown, especially the goals against column, absolutely we are!

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    Are we in a relegation battle after just 7 games? With the dreadful form we've shown, especially the goals against column, absolutely we are!
    You often see teams suddenly start performing for a caretaker, but we lost at home to one of the weakest clubs ever to grace the football league. You usually see teams put in a performance for a new manager, we've just been thrashed 5-1. There's no indication whatsoever that Notts can turn this around quickly, we are almost certainly facing a season of battling to stay up for the most part and I don't see what good it does pretending otherwise. They need to start scrapping for every point, not go into games thinking they're too good or too big to go down, as if the wins will just come out of nowhere.

We can talk about not being in a relegation battle when we're well clear of the bottom two, not before.

Who can you thank for this bloody mess? Nolan (unless AH is talking through his arse).

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    Obviously, this is a concerning situation, but I've seen it many times before where a team that looks like it will never win again suddenly sneaks a win and goes on a run that is almost a mirror image of its previous form.
    True.
    But we're Notts County.
    When a team hasn't won in 15 games they come to Meadow Lane and break their losing streak.
    When a team hasn't beaten us in 3 seasons and they need a win to draw clear of the relegation spot, they beat us.
    When a team sack their manager after a bad run, we're up next and they tonk us.
    We're Notts County. We're perpetually doomed. That's why we love it, really

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast