+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hughesy still has the magic at 42

Quote Originally Posted by cerebellum View Post
    I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Tommy Johnson, but not so surprised that no one has mentioned Tommy Lawton.
    I went to Tommys funeral, sad day..

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    I started watching Notts around 1990 but was too young to really remember Tommy J. Hughes is easily the best striker we've had in my time, followed by Stallard. Imagine those two up front together!
    Similar for me and I agree with you, Hughesy is the best striker we’ve had at the club in the last 25 years followed by Mark Stallard.

Both have earned themselves the right
    to be called club legends for the contributions they made, and for the passion and pride they had whilst wearing the shirt.

I would still have him over these muppets that we now have..Well done Nolan for lumbering us with a load of relegated misfits..

Quote Originally Posted by SmiffyPie View Post
    Pound for pound probably the best for many a year. Hard to beat Les at full tilt though, and Hateley towering above everyone. And of course McCulloch with his socks down and teeth out!! Those four are the most exciting I have seen at Meadow Lane.
    You forgot the snot sticking to his tash!

Quote Originally Posted by JoePass View Post
    Correct.
    Obviously I would go for McCulloch over Bradd any day of the week. Iain McCulloch did it in the top league and so did Hughesy.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post
    Similar for me and I agree with you, Hughesy is the best striker we’ve had at the club in the last 25 years followed by Mark Stallard.

Both have earned themselves the right
    to be called club legends for the contributions they made, and for the passion and pride they had whilst wearing the shirt.
    Agreed. While Hughes was just a beast in front of goal, in many ways I think stall is my favourite Notts striker. Such a clever player, and he could score every type of goal, from tap-ins to worldies. Great link-up play too. Remember his goals against Chesterfield at home or Sheffield Wednesday away? Magic.

Hughesy still looked lean and pretty fit for a 42 year old

I have watched Notts since 1957 and although Hughsey was great, still think Tony Hateley was the best. His partnership with Jeff Astle was awesome.

Have to say Hughes still looked a real handful in that video!

Unfortunately I missed out on the likes of Hateley and Bradd, but only just! Iain McCulloch was my first real Notts idol and have to say since then Hughes and maybe Stallard as some have already said have come close. Tommy J needs a mention but if I was picking my all time eleven McCulloch would be one of the first names on the teamsheet.

Agree with all of the above, all great strikers. Just want to add a few more, McSwegan, McParland (only as a player) and while he did nothing for Notts, Justin Fashanu.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast