+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Hughesy still has the magic at 42

There's never been a striker of the same quality as Jackie 'Bronco' Laine.

Quote Originally Posted by BanjoPie View Post
    I stand corrected - Yes it was the left wing, I knew that but somehow typed Right wing! (age I suppose)
    Not a great striker I know but does anyone remember when Warnock insisted on playing Paul Harding up front? God what this team could do with him in it now exactly what is required in midfield he was fantastic for us in the short time he played for Notts who could forget Gazza giving him that shiner.

I have only seen Stallard, Johnson and Hughes play for Notts who I would consider class strikers. I used to love watching Johnson when I was young and then obviously Stall. Hughes you could see was too good for the division by far but an amazing finisher, clinical. As someone else pointed out Jones was for a season phenomenal.

I really wish I'd seen some of the other players mentioned on here, I came along too late to be a Notts fan but at least saw us in the top division. The younger fans now deserve a medal for still coming to see us, it's been fairly crap except Munto season for years and years.

Can we have Hughes back for the rest of the season please ha ha.

Ian McParland was a great goalscorer, perhaps not in the same mould as these out and out strikers but he deserves a mention if TJ does IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by Bohinen View Post
    Yes, McCulloch was a striker given licence to roam, and he caused havoc. That role may suit Enzio, not that I would compare their ability for a minute. I would rate McCulloch as the best Notts striker I've seen. Sir Les was a great servant and had a lot to do with us rising from the 4th to the 2nd tier and staying there, but McCulloch played at a higher level. My second choice would be Tommy Johnson, who was unorthodox and not really a traditional CF, but he had a great shot on him and his movement was fantastic. Then have Hughesie, who I loved watching, and he is by far the best since TJ.

Thinking back to Munto, people say it was fake money, but really there was no money at all. We didn't spend a single penny on transfer fees and although some wages were high for the division, it was only really Kasper who earned an unaffordable wage for a top end (of the division) club. Any debts that were accrued (and many of them dated back to JAH's time) were for ridiculous things like the Sven sham, the actual playing staff were wise choices.

I bet Trew and AH have spent far more on far less. Poor old McParland is criticised for having a poor team when the budget was low, but when it was high, he spent it a Hell of a lot better than Nolan.
    I sort of agree. While we certainly wouldn't have had a player like Kasper without the Munto madness, and almost certainly not Hughes and Davies, we still signed some really decent lower league players like Bishop, Ravenhill, Westcarr, Rodgers and Lee. Add to that existing players like Edwards and Hunt and there was a decent backbone of a team - probably good enough for a shout at the playoffs.

Kasper, Hughes and Davies just kicked us on to another level. They were easily the three best players in the division, and all of them playing a couple of divisions below their natural level.

But yeah, considering how much we've spent under Trew and Hardy, we could have achieved way more with way less.

Sean Farrell football genius

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Ross View Post
    That, er, "Munto" season was something else. If you haven't already got it, get the DVD fgs - pure class! Wasn't that other "slap-ed" brill too - Luke Rodgers.

<Sighs> What a shame we didn't have DVDs when I first started supporting Notts - early 1970s. Some stories there... Apart from the obvious stars - what about Ian Scanlon, Mick Vinter? I also seem to remember somebody called Randall - but wasn't he a cricketer?
    Derek was the cricketer and Kevin was the Notts striker.

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    Speaking of White, nobody has mentioned Andy either
    That one made me laugh.

Always remember when Tommy Johnson and Mark Draper came through, just after Dean Yates and Paul Barnes (another excellent striker whose career suffered from injuries). Warnock was obviously a great manager, but he was also blessed by having arguably the best-ever crop of homegrown players. TJ’s genius was summed up by his second goal in the 1991 playoff final - curling a left footer in from the corner of the box.

As ncfcog says, those of us born in the 70s and earlier were around to witness some magical players and days. If you’ve become a supporter any time since the start of the millennium, you’ve basically had one great season, two OK ones and a lot of Andy White (and yes, that is Cockney rhyming slang).

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Ross View Post
    That, er, "Munto" season was something else. If you haven't already got it, get the DVD fgs - pure class! Wasn't that other "slap-ed" brill too - Luke Rodgers.

<Sighs> What a shame we didn't have DVDs when I first started supporting Notts - early 1970s. Some stories there... Apart from the obvious stars - what about Ian Scanlon, Mick Vinter? I also seem to remember somebody called Randall - but wasn't he a cricketer?
    Derek the cricketer

Kevin the footballer

I give you

It's Kevin B from Notts County

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast