+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hughesy still has the magic at 42

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Thanks for that muskham, a very enjoyable watch. Great to see Hughesy still doing his stuff, although their first goal was deffo offside. Shaun Harrad also on the scoresheet for Matlock, but I know which former Notts striker I prefer!
    Don't think it was offside as nobody touched it before it went to the striker.

Quote Originally Posted by SmiffyPie View Post
    Pound for pound probably the best for many a year. Hard to beat Les at full tilt though, and Hateley towering above everyone. And of course McCulloch with his socks down and teeth out!! Those four are the most exciting I have seen at Meadow Lane.
    McCulloch
    Hughes
    Bradd
    Hateley
    Jones (for one season)

for me

Quote Originally Posted by JoePass View Post
    Pity you never saw Les Bradd.....awesome striker......
    Les gets the balls, or runs on to a pass and the whole bloody crowd surged forward.
    The days when footballers were true local heroes, when there was a true bond with Notts County Football Club not this social media crap that's taken everyone by the bloody throat!! (ffs!!)

Les gets the balls, or runs on to a pass and the whole bloody crowd surged forward.
    The days when footballers were true local heroes, when there was a true bond with Notts County Football Club not this social media crap that's taken everyone by the bloody throat!! (ffs!!)

Absolutely

Not saying he's better than the ones mentioned but Trevor Christie deserves a mention. Another of my favourites was Gary Lund.

Hughes always did something though whenever he played and was the kind of player you would 'hate' if he played against you but 'loved' because he was ours.

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    Not saying he's better than the ones mentioned but Trevor Christie deserves a mention. Another of my favourites was Gary Lund.

Hughes always did something though whenever he played and was the kind of player you would 'hate' if he played against you but 'loved' because he was ours.
    Trevor was good (he works for my daughter), good in the air but lacked that bit of pace and positional awareness?
    Give my left nut to have someone like him in the squad now though.

Trevor was good (he works for my daughter), good in the air but lacked that bit of pace and positional awareness?
    Give my left nut to have someone like him in the squad now though.
    Give both mine lol...

Quote Originally Posted by forwardmagpie View Post
    Don't think it was offside as nobody touched it before it went to the striker.
    You are probably correct if Hughesy didn't touch the ball.

But that would mean that I would be wrong so it definitely flicked a hair on Hughesy's head. You have to zoom in very closely to find that hair, but I'm sure there was contact.

Pound for pound probably the best for many a year. Hard to beat Les at full tilt though, and Hateley towering above everyone. And of course McCulloch with his socks down and teeth out!! Those four are the most exciting I have seen at Meadow Lane.
    Correct, but if you judged all of them at their very best throughout their careers, then Hughesy would come out the winner. We never saw Hughesy at his peak, but what we did see was still memorable.

past strikers

Quote Originally Posted by muskhampie View Post
    Yesterday I went to watch Matlock Town vs Halesowen Town in the FA Cup 1st qualifying round. Halesowen had a familiar face playing up front - the one and only Lee Hughes. At 42 he was still able to run the Matlock defence ragged. He laid on the first goal with a flicked on header from a long punt up field, then after Matlock had equalized (pen), Hughsey was there to score the second half winner in a 2-1 victory. How I wish we still had somebody of his calibre around today!

Highlights of the game can be found on this link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw38VgcCZHM

Enjoy watching Hughsey again, I did!!
    I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Tommy Johnson, but not so surprised that no one has mentioned Tommy Lawton.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast