+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hughesy still has the magic at 42

Hughesy still has the magic at 42

Yesterday I went to watch Matlock Town vs Halesowen Town in the FA Cup 1st qualifying round. Halesowen had a familiar face playing up front - the one and only Lee Hughes. At 42 he was still able to run the Matlock defence ragged. He laid on the first goal with a flicked on header from a long punt up field, then after Matlock had equalized (pen), Hughsey was there to score the second half winner in a 2-1 victory. How I wish we still had somebody of his calibre around today!

Highlights of the game can be found on this link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw38VgcCZHM

Enjoy watching Hughsey again, I did!!

Quote Originally Posted by muskhampie View Post
    Yesterday I went to watch Matlock Town vs Halesowen Town in the FA Cup 1st qualifying round. Halesowen had a familiar face playing up front - the one and only Lee Hughes. At 42 he was still able to run the Matlock defence ragged. He laid on the first goal with a flicked on header from a long punt up field, then after Matlock had equalized (pen), Hughsey was there to score the second half winner in a 2-1 victory. How I wish we still had somebody of his calibre around today!

Highlights of the game can be found on this link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw38VgcCZHM

Enjoy watching Hughsey again, I did!!

One of the best strikers to grace Meadow Lane...

Thanks for that muskham, a very enjoyable watch. Great to see Hughesy still doing his stuff, although their first goal was deffo offside. Shaun Harrad also on the scoresheet for Matlock, but I know which former Notts striker I prefer!

Quote Originally Posted by JoePass View Post
    One of the best strikers to grace Meadow Lane...

If not thee best. Hoosey's "flick" was a clear foot over his head and the Matlock pen was NEVER a pen. Hoosey's goal was brill tho.

Hughes was absolute class. The best finisher I've ever seen, but also the lift he gave the fans just by being on the pitch was something else. Legend.

Was at least Championship standard still when we had him.

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    If not thee best.
    Pound for pound probably the best for many a year. Hard to beat Les at full tilt though, and Hateley towering above everyone. And of course McCulloch with his socks down and teeth out!! Those four are the most exciting I have seen at Meadow Lane.

Quote Originally Posted by SmiffyPie View Post
    Pound for pound probably the best for many a year. Hard to beat Les at full tilt though, and Hateley towering above everyone. And of course McCulloch with his socks down and teeth out!! Those four are the most exciting I have seen at Meadow Lane.
    Correct.

Quote Originally Posted by SmiffyPie View Post
    I started watching Notts around 1990 but was too young to really remember Tommy J. Hughes is easily the best striker we've had in my time, followed by Stallard. Imagine those two up front together!

Pity you never saw Les Bradd.....awesome striker......

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast