+ Visit Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: September 11th 2001 Recollections

Quote Originally Posted by StandfreeFM View Post
    uuugh. I can feel myself getting suckered in.

Passport:- Not just the Satam al Suqami passport survived. Many other passports/id/bank cards were found amongst the debris. The first airliner's itinerary from Boston to LA was also found in the immediate aftermath. Yes, the odds of this are very slim, but unlikely events do happen. Low odds do not constitute evidence.

Bush:- Confusion in the aftermath of an unexpected terrorist attack. He probably didn't want to scare the kids he was reading to and the secret service probably though a school was a fairly safe place for him to be while they sorted out the security for him and his family. Also, he's nae that bright so probably didn't know what to do.

American response:-The terrorists exploited what we now realise were lax security standards.
    I wouldn't dream of getting your logical reasoning suckered into a debate with a crank like me.

I did mention oddities though and wasn't trying to build a legal case around a passport found in the debris. I've heard that 'personal items' of other passengers were found but not passports, ids or bank cards. It would be interesting to know your source...

With regards Bush, I find it a lovely thought that he didn't want to "scare the kids" but hard to believe. Bush may have been as thick as mince; however, his security is the responsibility of the Secret Service and not his call.

As I say, I have no doubt that the plan was devised in Hamburg and carried out by those Hamburg conspirators and they did exploit lax security. They used the rhetoric of Bin Laden & Al-Zawahiri as inspiration. I have no arguments with that.

All I said was that there was oddities, of which I mentioned a couple, that have never been properly answered

Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
    I never understand why passengers on hijacked planes just sit there and do nothing. They always outnumber the hijackers so it would be quite easy to stop them. If a few guys tried to hold up a pub with weedy knives like the 9/11 hijackers had, they would get their heads kicked in
    Well a pub doesn't fly at 30,000 feet and isn't a sealed tube that needs trained pilots to land therefore the conditions are somewhat different.

Up to that point, hijackers hadn't flown into buildings, they had landed at airports and issued demands. The element of surprise also would've caught the passengers by surprise. And remember it wasn't the regulars at Murdos that were on the plane, the passengers were a wide range of ages, old, middle-aged, young, kids...

Quote Originally Posted by BogBrush1903 View Post
    Well a pub doesn't fly at 30,000 feet and isn't a sealed tube that needs trained pilots to land therefore the conditions are somewhat different.

Up to that point, hijackers hadn't flown into buildings, they had landed at airports and issued demands. The element of surprise also would've caught the passengers by surprise. And remember it wasn't the regulars at Murdos that were on the plane, the passengers were a wide range of ages, old, middle-aged, young, kids...
    So if you were on a plane and some towelheads tried to hijack it, would you just sit there and do nothing?

I used to think the biggest question mark was how the hijackers managed to control and navigate the jumbo jets so easily. I know they had lessons but presumably in much smaller planes.

Anyway that baggage handler who chored a jet and started doing loop the loops not so long ago proves just how easy it is.

Unless, of course, that was a cia sub-plot designed to kill off exactly this kind of speculation knowing the 9/11 anniversary was coming up again. *gently strokes beard emoji*

So if you were on a plane and some towelheads tried to hijack it, would you just sit there and do nothing?
    Maybe after I’d lectured the guy sitting next to me about casual racism

Are you saying that 9/11 could've been avoided if you happened to be taking a internal flight across the USA that day?

A guy my old man worked with was on a hijacked plane back in the good old days. He was from Uganda and on an Israeli flight. Slept the entire time.

I was up the Towers about six weeks or so before they came down, nae exactly a near miss but still a wee bit of a head f u ck.

To this day still the best burger I've ever eaten was in the restaurant at the top "Windows on the World".

It was just a bit odd, thinking abut the lassie that served us (you know what American waiting staff are like, they'll just blether for ever....particularly with the Scottish accent) or the guy at the bar that served my beer, wondering what become of them......if they were on the breakfast shift that day.....just felt strange.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo1983 View Post
    A guy my old man worked with was on a hijacked plane back in the good old days. He was from Uganda and on an Israeli flight. Slept the entire time.
    Surprised they let him on, after that carry on at Entebe.

Quote Originally Posted by InversneckieDob View Post
    I was up the Towers about six weeks or so before they came down, nae exactly a near miss but still a wee bit of a head f u ck.

To this day still the best burger I've ever eaten was in the restaurant at the top "Windows on the World".

It was just a bit odd, thinking abut the lassie that served us (you know what American waiting staff are like, they'll just blether for ever....particularly with the Scottish accent) or the guy at the bar that served my beer, wondering what become of them......if they were on the breakfast shift that day.....just felt strange.
    Aye, and those poor souls in the Windows on the World would've been fortunate to suffocate in that thick black smoke. If they didn't, it was either out the window or wait to be pulverized down 106 floors...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast