+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT _ Meadowhall - This cannot be right, can it?

OT _ Meadowhall - This cannot be right, can it?

http://www.rothbiz.co.uk/2018/09/new...-deal.html?m=1

The above article is regarding the proposed new leisure development on Forge Island. In terms of that, theres not much to get excited above. However what caught my eye is the paragraph referencing the new proposed leisure development at meadowhall. Theres a line in there that says that 51% of users of the present food/drink offering (which ive taken to mean the Oasis) come from Rotherham.

Assuming people using Oasis is a cross section of the overall visitors to meadowhall it is a fair assumption to say then that 51% of the centres customers come from Rotherham. Unless we just go there for burgers and not to shop!

That cant he right, can it, that more people from Rotherham use meadowhall than from Sheffield? Someone tell me I've read that wrong/misunderstood please..

"Analysts at GVA gave predictions on the draw of the new leisure hall. It said that, at present, only 25% of Meadowhall food and beverage turnover comes from residents of the Sheffield urban area. 75% comes from residents of Rotherham (51%), Barnsley (8%) and the area to the south-east of Sheffield and area between Sheffield and Rotherham. The applicants hope that the offer will become more popular to residents of Sheffield whilst also continuing to attract a large amount of trade from Rotherham and Barnsley."

http://www.rothbiz.co.uk/2017/09/new...extension.html

Does that mean that if they closed Oasis then the restaurants and the likes would prosper in Rotherham?

A good reason fro the Council at Rotherham to protest against the project as the council at Sheffield have constatly done against every project in Rotherham. The wouldn't need an extention then, all they'd need to do would put some fliers through the doors of the homes at Sheffield offering a bit of discount.

Quote Originally Posted by frogmiller View Post
    Does that mean that if they closed Oasis then the restaurants and the likes would prosper in Rotherham?

A good reason fro the Council at Rotherham to protest against the project as the council at Sheffield have constatly done against every project in Rotherham. The wouldn't need an extention then, all they'd need to do would put some fliers through the doors of the homes at Sheffield offering a bit of discount.
    Frog mate apart from wetherspoons ,hungry horse, kfc, Burger King mc Donald’s and Nando’s and a franky and bennys there is nothing in Rotherham go in to Meadowhall there’s more places to eat go to Sheffield and there’s even more places to eat.

Do you know what’s scarier than that? The fact that mexborough is busier than rotherham I went with my dad to bank last week and I saw something Outside that I thought had gone extinct

SHOPS yes actual shops not just banks and bookies but book shops card shop Thornton’s shop and market stalls. I honestly thought i was hallucinating or stepped through a portal in time. It was well freaky

Quote Originally Posted by gkotw View Post
    That cant he right, can it, that more people from Rotherham use meadowhall than from Sheffield? Someone tell me I've read that wrong/misunderstood please..
    Than use Meadowhall, very unlikely. That use the cinema there, entirely plausible.

If Sheffield has multiple cinemas to choose from and Rotherham doesn't have any, it makes sense that the closest cinema to Rotherham is going to have a lot of visitors from Rotherham.

Simple,we are just a set of greedy two hats.

How the hell do they know that 51% of people using the Oasis facilities come from Rotherham?
    Do they pounce on people and demand to know where they're from when they're queuing for their burger and fries?

Quote Originally Posted by John2 View Post

If Sheffield has multiple cinemas to choose from and Rotherham doesn't have any, it makes sense that the closest cinema to Rotherham is going to have a lot of visitors from Rotherham.
    I understand your logic john, but the report makes no mention of the cinema. Perhaps cinema goers are more likely to stuff their faces pre film compared to shoppers?

Im still flaberfasted by the stats.

Without knowing how the information was gathered, at what time of day, what counted as food and beverage sales (which many of the big stores sell, not just the restaurants), etc, the statistics are a bit meaningless. I take the point that it could be a cinema-goer survey, but the article doesn't specify that.
    Last edited by mikemiller; 13-09-2018 at 05:02 PM.

As Meadowhall was largely responsible for the demise of our town centre, it's entirely resonable that its the main centre for Rotherham shoppers. When it opened in 1990, as a Kimberworth resident, it was nearer then town. We virtually lived there the first couple of years. We now live the other side of Parkgate, so it is much more convenient .
    Avree about Mexborough, it's like Rotherham town centre in the 70's. Turn the old shops into affordable housing and flats, and leave the green belts alone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast