+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Millmoor, DVS, New York Stadium

Millmoor, DVS, New York Stadium

Thought this deserved a thread of its own.

On another thread someone intimated that some Millers may yearn for the days of old, the days at Millmoor. Citing the atmosphere that could be generated at the old ground, it was suggested we could perhaps have mixed feelings about our new venue.

My initial reaction was to balk at the idea. I no not on miller who would swap the NYS for Millmoor. But then it dawned on me, as far as I'm aware I don't personally know anyone who posts on here. So perhaps I get a skewed view based just on my circle of friends.

So, what do others think of NYS, does anyone hanker for Millmoor? Indeed, is there anyone out there who actually enjoyed the DVS experience (&#128533?

As I stated on the other thread, I think the fact that we moved from DVS to NYS, rather than directly from Millmoor, helped matters. In my opinion we'd already grieved for the old girl. That said, even if we'd come straight down the road from Masborough I think I wouldn't be shedding any tears. I look at Millmoor now with pitty, not with yearning. I associate it with the Booths rightly or wrongly. NYS is better than anything I could ever have dreamt of.

What are your views?

I have fond memories of millmoor but NYS gives me a sense of pride whenever I drive past and when I attend home games.
    NYS for me every time.

Difficult to beat Night matches at Millmoor
    Just something special about them

However we've now got , IMO, one of the best smaller capacity grounds in the country

As an away fan it was a dangerous shyte hole , millmoor lane was an accident waiting to happen and it proved so with the death of the swansea lad .

The missiles thrown from you lot on to us over the wall whilst we walked down millmoor lane were noted , something kerr may want to debate but that's the way it was in the 80's , if you didn't get bricked in the 80's you weren't there or possibly shouldn't have been if you still hold a grudge .

Things have moved on from those dark days thankfully .

The 81 league encounter was horrific at millmoor for a barnsley fan , the crush outside the turnstiles is something I can remember vividly nearly 40 years on .

Scary times on many levels , it took 96 liverpool fans to die before anything was done and yet if you were around in those times it was pretty obvious something tragic was going to occur when you think back .

That crush all those years ago never left me , it was scary and it was repeated on various other occasions at other grounds too , they really were riding their luck looking back .

I do miss the atmosphere of the old grounds but things did need to change .

When I was a lad the summers were sunnier, it hardly ever rained and it snowed at Christmas.

Everything was really good.

Except it wasn’t, and Millmoor was a dump not an architectural icon inhabited by demigods.

Selective memory syndrome.

Too young to remember it but i know we won the "kop chorus" at one time so there must have been a great atmosphere at one time but it was pretty quiet at Millmoor in the later years.

It's not that noisy at NYS most of the time either as we really only do "sing when we're winning", but the surroundings, facilities, view, legroom are all better.

Food prices are a rip-off though but that's the same at most grounds unfortunately.

Interesting thing about food prices (well sort of connected) what I find strange about beer at NYS, you can’t by a half, it’s pints only.

How does that fit in with drunkenness at football matches, drink driving and a general desire to drink less alcohol?

Quote Originally Posted by nakedtruth View Post
    Interesting thing about food prices (well sort of connected) what I find strange about beer at NYS, you can’t by a half, it’s pints only.

How does that fit in with drunkenness at football matches, drink driving and a general desire to drink less alcohol?
    I agree, its ridiculous. Me and my 3 mates are all on diets.... yet they woudn't offer 3.14 pi's between the 4 of us :-)
    Last edited by sota; 10-09-2018 at 05:10 AM.

Never be anything to compare to Millmoor in the sixties. Fantastic atmosphere.

If you're under 40 like me, just, then you will have spent your time at Millmoor watching mostly lower league football. Generally crowds of 3000-4500. The atmosphere was occasionally decent even with those numbers but the place really came to life when it was full. Making it all seater ruined it, as it did most grounds. Fond memories of a few good days there, as stated on the other thread, it will always have a place in our hearts but I don't miss it anymore.

DVS has gone to stadium heaven now. It had its moments. It was a cracking atmosphere against Leeds in the JPT, and the playoff game v Aldershot - the only time we actually filled the big stand, was a good atmosphere. But I was so glad to get away from there. It was ok at first but the novelty soon wore off.

NYS is different class. Arguably the best stadium in the country in its capacity range. Somewhat of a benchmark for smaller clubs looking to build moderate sized stadiums. If you only started going when we moved in, you will have mostly watched Championship football along with three promotions. Lucky you!
    Not without its faults, access being a big one. The ridiculous SYP brainchild 'exit strategy '.
    The service in the kiosks is tediously slow. The atmosphere is usually flat apart from the away end. But it beats Millmoor and DVS together for atmosphere when we're up for it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast