+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: OT(ish) Feature on Barnsley FC on Look North & their .........

Quote Originally Posted by Hazza Has A Gazza View Post
    It was me who said that. And it's true.
    Back on topic, I know things have been a bit tetchy on here lately between a few of ours and the Barnsley lads who visit, but credit where it's due, it was an incredible achievement for Barnsley to reach the premier league.

Not seen the film thingy yet, but if Rotherham ever, by a similar miracle, made it to the top flight, I would absolutely want it documented as much as possible, and if it only lasted one season, I'd still be forever proud.

I worked with a lot of Barnsley lads around that time and they weren't that interested in football. Then Barnsley got promoted to the top flight and suddenly they were all lifelong fans and season ticket holders! I doubt many if any of them have been to a Barnsley match since that season.

Point is though, it was a great achievement and worth shouting about from the rooftops.
    Where is the ****ing Like Button.

Quote Originally Posted by gkotw View Post
    In a nutshell Milla, the difference is that at Millmoor both stewards and refreshments staff were employed by RUFC. Now, as you allude to, both are outsourced. Modern world: profit before service. Staff at Lindleys and G4 (think they do security) are paid peanuts and dont give a rats ass about the club. Whereas staff at Millmoor were paid peanuts, probably got a free pie, and got to watch the match for nowt as they were fans.

Don street/main street is annoying. Didn't I read on another thread that the club are opening up the old underpass to take away fans under main street, passed the police station, preventing the coming together of supporters? Or have I dream that?
    I worked on the players tunnel as a steward at Millmoor for over 10 years and can count on one hand the problems we had with home fans inside the ground. 99.9% of any trouble came from the away support.

BTW, we only got a free Bovril and I think my last wage packet was for £12.
    Last edited by BigLadonOS; 12-09-2018 at 02:01 PM.

Remember Crash's daughter at the NYS?

I think she was the only Steward I've ever seen who was given a chair and allowed to sit down.

Quote Originally Posted by Romared View Post
    That's not true mate , non of It, he is a family friend that's all , Georgi Is a godfather to their son , a regular visitor on our road like many more players , George the former owner of a pizza place across from the Town Hall , he's an ex Yugoslavian football player , and also a good neighbour and friend ,
    his Wife is from Yugoslavia too , College Lecturer , speaks 9 languages fluently ,

Bet she doesn't do tarnspeyk though

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sport/football/45298.stm

My memory served me well (ish) :-/

Quote Originally Posted by gkotw View Post
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sport/football/45298.stm

My memory served me well (ish) :-/
    Nobody's disputing what was reported at the time , we all read it and heard it on the news .

Whether it was taken out of context and he was stitched up is perhaps more the issue .

To tell the truth nobody really thought anything of it and it was never held against him , I can tell you that truthfully despite the fact he was a very expensive acquisition and wasn't too good .

I know, I worked in barnsley at the time. Thats why I had memories of the event. Albeit hazy memories given the passage of time.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234