+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OT(ish) Feature on Barnsley FC on Look North & their .........

😆😆

Quote Originally Posted by wrinkly View Post
    Reminds me of a Barnsley "scandal" of about 20 years ago.

Georgi Hristov, a Barnsley player, said he couldn't get a girlfriend because the Barnsley lasses were not great lookers and drank too much.
    Look North jumped at the chance to cover the story and sent a crack investigative team round the town pubs, interviewing some of the Dingle belles.

The coverage merely proved that he had understated his case.
    I stand to be corrected but didnt he actually refer to the female townsfolk as "dogs", but later said it was a mix up in translation?

The present mrs grumpy QUEEN of the west is from there so I need to tread carefully here 🤔.

Nah, shes a stunner, and I lover her to bits.

Quote Originally Posted by gkotw View Post
    I stand to be corrected but didnt he actually refer to the female townsfolk as "dogs", but later said it was a mix up in translation?

The present mrs grumpy QUEEN of the west is from there so I need to tread carefully here 🤔.

His brother couldn't have agreed with his view either as he's stayed in the town since when he came over in 1997 with Georgi .

Still runs a pizza place opposite the town hall and married a local lass I believe .

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    The guy who made that film about Barnsley in the Premier League is actually part of the Millers media team.
    I know I'm biased but this film is actually superbly made and tells the whole story of the towns struggles after the pit closures and the golden era for the club .

It may be of interest or it may not be but there's some clips on the webdsite , it's not a back slapping film by the way .

https://daydream-believers.co.uk/

I wonder if Swindon Town fans are making a film about their one season in the Premier League?

Barnsley, Swindon and Blackpool all one-season EPL wonders (Blackpool played in old first division though).

Carlisle United, Glossop North End, Leyton Orient and Northampton Town all one-seasoners in the old first division.

Wouldn't mind seeing a doc about Glossop North End as I've never heard of them.
    Last edited by great_fire; 11-09-2018 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    I wonder if Swindon Town fans are making a film about their one season in the Premier League?

Barnsley, Swindon and Blackpool all one-season EPL wonders (Blackpool played in old first division though).

Carlisle United, Glossop North End, Leyton Orient and Northampton Town all one-seasoners in the old first division.

Wouldn't mind seeing a doc about Glossop North End as I've never heard of them.
    There's defiantly a story to be told about Blackpool and their rise and fall fire .

Portsmouth as well on that score.

There's one about Sunderland's relegation last season I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by gkotw View Post

The present mrs grumpy QUEEN of the west is from there so I need to tread carefully here ��.

That's not true mate , non of It, he is a family friend that's all , Georgi Is a godfather to their son , a regular visitor on our road like many more players , George the former owner of a pizza place across from the Town Hall , he's an ex Yugoslavian football player , and also a good neighbour and friend ,
    his Wife is from Yugoslavia too , College Lecturer , speaks 9 languages fluently ,
    Last edited by Romared; 11-09-2018 at 08:04 PM.

My memory is fading Roma, but im sure hristov said something about finding it hard to get a girlfriend because barnsley girls were ugly, and not as pretty as serbian women. Dudnt he also say they sup too much ale?

Now, my memory really could be playing up but I have a memory of a pub setting up a talent contest for him to judge local birds. And I think he ended up shagging the winner (doggy style one presumes &#128513

He was Macedonian and not that great.

Barnsley thought that if they bought a load of foreign players they would stay up but there's plenty of crappy footballers abroad as well.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast