+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: John Souttar

John Souttar

4 ex United players turned out for Scotland last night.How did John Souttar go from being so c rap for us to CB for Scotland..... makes you think?

I always thought he was great in central defence for us too (not every match but he was very young). Not everyone agreed but it just goes to show he's maturing into the kind of player we all thought he was.

Quote Originally Posted by stokearab View Post
    4 ex United players turned out for Scotland last night.How did John Souttar go from being so c rap for us to CB for Scotland..... makes you think?
    I think Johns comments the night he jumped ship regarding a lack of coaching was indicative of why some think he was crap. I also have to call into question why us fans constantly write off our young players.

Always thought John was a player and maybe suffered a bit because managers were trying to find his best position. Was at his best in centre mid for us and i think he started the move and supplied the killer pass for one of my favourite goals. Yip, 2nd May 2015 v Aberdeen, Soutter to Ciftci, back to Soutter and fantastic pass for Muirhead! Whatever happened to the other 2!

The thing that pashes me off the most is John was one of the players who should never have been sold when he was, or under the circumstances surrounding sales like his. I hope that we never have to go through that again!

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    I always thought he was great in central defence for us too (not every match but he was very young). Not everyone agreed but it just goes to show he's maturing into the kind of player we all thought he was.
    Yep. A lot of our fans have a very bad habit of writing young players off. Strange for a club with such a tradition of youth development.

He strolled it last night, too.

Btw wasn't saying in the op that I thought he was c rap. I only saw him at 3 home games. Was going more by what some posters said on here at the time.
    Was that an all time low point in our coaching? You'd have to hope so.

He was never crap for us, excellent at first in fact sheet Jackie through him and Gauld in, then lost confidence during the relegation season, with arseholes getting on his back, sickening that he had to go elsewhere due to our implosion

However he has developed very well playing next to Berra which he wouldn't have had here last season and under Levein plus matured

Good to see such a United influence on the national side in that victory last night

Best thing about last night for me was the number of players paying that ply their trade in the Scottish Premiership. Never happened under Strachan and i completely lost interest because of this (I mean, do Scottish fans really want to see some no-mark playing in the English lower leagues representing Scotland?)

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    Best thing about last night for me was the number of players paying that ply their trade in the Scottish Premiership. Never happened under Strachan and i completely lost interest because of this (I mean, do Scottish fans really want to see some no-mark playing in the English lower leagues representing Scotland?)
    Despite the losses to Belgium etc and the press talking the Albania result up, there does seem to be some promising signs. Ididn't see the match but by all accounts O'Donnell was a revelation and might mean we finally have two/three good fullbacks. With McGinn and Armstrong we have 2 players that might do better with Browns absence. McTominay might be a find, too early to say. Don't think we're going to be world beaters anytime soon but there's a bit of hope.

Quote Originally Posted by stokearab View Post
    Despite the losses to Belgium etc and the press talking the Albania result up, there does seem to be some promising signs. Ididn't see the match but by all accounts O'Donnell was a revelation and might mean we finally have two/three good fullbacks. With McGinn and Armstrong we have 2 players that might do better with Browns absence. McTominay might be a find, too early to say. Don't think we're going to be world beaters anytime soon but there's a bit of hope.
    Only seen the highlights, but quite impressed with the team. Really pashed off by the rubbish in the press about getting beat by a top team, but think the team ignored that and got a great result last night.

Robertsons cross for Naismiths assist was sublime! And what a puss shutter for certain sectors of Scottish support with Tiernay and Robbo in the same team!

Quote Originally Posted by Chick A Saw View Post
    Only seen the highlights, but quite impressed with the team. Really pashed off by the rubbish in the press about getting beat by a top team, but think the team ignored that and got a great result last night.

Robertsons cross for Naismiths assist was sublime! And what a puss shutter for certain sectors of Scottish support with Tiernay and Robbo in the same team!
    The worry is that McLeish will pander to the Green cheek and play Tierney at LB and Andy at wingback. Not sure that's the way to go but at least we wouldn't concede many from getting done on the left. Watched the highlights and Albania could easily have been level at 1-1, would have been interesting to see if Scotland had still won from there. Seems Russell and Naismith gave a real injection of pace upfront, something we've been missing. It'll be interesting to see if they keep their places given the west coast bias and pressure on team selection. What makes that combination quite interesting is that because they're not traditional big centreforwards they're harder to mark out of a game.

But it was Albania, we need to see how they gel over the next few games and then get properly tested in the Euro qualifiers.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)