+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: John Souttar

Craig Levein will be wishing he hadn't said anything even tho what he actually said amounts to nothing.
    They're talking about JS, flavour of the week, it's all about his first cap and good league form, Hearts' 5th straight win.
    Contextually (I think it is a word) his comments will have been twice emphasised & restructured to construct drivel media headlines.
    You're better off saying nothing but there's aye a mic. Much ado about nothing.

But if anyone did 'ruin' JS at Tannadice I'm afraid it was you & I, his adoring fans.

I expect the comments have been taken beyond the context of what Levein was getting at!

However, you cannot ignore that everything that Craig and Peter set up under Eddie, was systematically dismantled by those that followed. Remember that Peter didnt like the 5 year plan and jumped, and look where we are now! But i suppose there will be some that cant see that forest for all the trees that are in front of them!

As to the player himself, it was well known that Soutter was regarded as a future centre back, but i tell you what, i think he was a cracker of a right back and centre mid! Im sure Craig and John both realize he is all the better for it!

Dont we have a history of playing players out of position though? Particuillary recent times VERY recent?

I seem to remember Levein playing Goodwillie out wide.

Could this be John's old man stirring it up and Levein taking the bait

Quote Originally Posted by B4 i go View Post
    Dont we have a history of playing players out of position though? Particuillary recent times VERY recent?
    There are some players who can be played out of position and get away with it on the odd occasion. Sean Dillon is a bad example, but equally bad in all positions across the back.

When Soutter was amongst a good group of players, he was able to hold his own. Those players were sold at the wrong time for club and JS. The utter skite that was then brought in, followed by Sackies downturn and Mixups panic disaster led to a player missing out on quality coaching when it really mattered! Thankfully the one who formed him, probably saved his career!

Levein is a Hearts man first and foremost, no question. But it is a fair stretch of the imagination to think that he is NOT pissed off at the total mismanagement that has occurred resulting in the total destruction of the very firm foundations that he placed based on a helluva lot of hard work. CL put in root and branch reform from the bottom up, which yes, did ultimately result in the Souttar's and Guald's breaking through. If anyone of us had built up some sort of company, we'd all be hacked off if it was then systematically destroyed following your departure, regardless of where you yourself were then subsequently working.

The comments by C. L appear to me more directed at Mixu Paatelainen than the club.

CL is basically saying that Mixu Paatelainen had players playing out of position and that their confidence sank.

He also suggests that once United sold their star players ( of which there were many ) big expectations were put on the shoulders of Souttar, who was still a ****ager.

I think CL has made a valid point - he was clearly not impressed with Mixu Paatelainen management skills - he is also suggesting that bad management has resulted in the decline of United, which again is difficult to dispute.

CL has a point with some of the comments hes said.

but he should remember souttar might not be where he is now if it wasnt for united. we helped develop him as a player. he was always a good player but what frustrated many united fans was whether he had the dig or toughness to reach that potential. hes only showing that now at hearts with berra and hughes being alongside him and with CL as a manager.

I dont see him getting played in different positions being that much of a problem. he struggled alot at CB with the physical players and wanted to overplay at times. he made his debut at RB by CL best mate and he was technically our best player when Jackie chucked him into a DM position (i seem to remember him getting motm a few times there) Surely thats helped him develop as a player by playing these positions then realizing he needs to improve aspects of his game to play CB?

CL should also remember that united helped his career. CL stock was fairly low at the point he was coming to tannadice and we helped him get his dream job (scotland). he should be less bitter about throwing united under the bus.

what i dont get is why is he making these comments now? seems a rather strange comment at a strange time?

Levein couldn’t care less about Utd
    It’s his own ego that’s more important to him
    We have brought through most of the best talent in this country for years before the **** hit the fan

He is doing well at hearts which it’s great
    But it was us that gave him the platform in Scotland as a manager first

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)