+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Aston villa(home)predictions

Quote Originally Posted by champs95 View Post
    In your opinion it was clear Auks.
    But It was not clear to the Ref, or the linesman. The lad himself didn't really appeal.
    If you have ever played football at a certain standard (not 5 a side with work mates on a tues night after work) the pace in which tackles are made are often lost once you have sat and watched 8 times in slow-mo on TV thousands of miles away. The tackle takes place in real time. The lad had slightly lost control, knew the tackle was coming and fell into him, but crucially, he was already slipping over. Before any contact. Then he made sure contact was made.
    Contact FYI in case you have forgotten is allowed. Where did you want Smallwood go? Float up to space and allow the lad to score? I'm sure that's what Bruce wanted aswell.
    The ref was about 5/6 yards from it, and had a perfect view. I was sat about 10/12 yards away. And saw the same angle. Live ...in play,. as it happened.
    Not 15 times via slow-mo. The ref doesn't get that luxury.
    I've never said it was clear or that the referee SHOULD have given it. As you say, these are split-second decisions and some will be wrong.
    My argument is that if it had happened the other way round, the vast majority of Rovers fans would have been calling the ref for a poor decision.
    Bottom line, the technology enables us to see afterwards if it "should" have been a penalty or not. In this case, I reckon a panel of ten referees would have been split fairly evenly.

Away from the rules and regs , ref positioning and perspective, slo mo replay analysis etc., the general rule is making any sort of contact in the pen area is a risky business.
    When you do , away from the rights or wrongs if it, a penalty award cannot be too much of a surprise.
    On the BD offside ruling, he himself has taken a v mature position on it ie he understands the dilemma, but is of the mind of ‘oh well that’s life, but over a season these things tend to balance out’ ie he may well find himself on the other side of the coin and an offside one may well actually go in his favour.
    That is in a way the beauty of it ie the unpredictability. The more they fine tune things the less the uncertainty - a good thing, or a bad thing ???
    Last edited by Despair; 18-09-2018 at 07:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Despair View Post
    Away from the rules and regs , ref positioning and perspective, slo mo replay analysis etc., the general rule is making any sort of contact in the pen area is a risky business.
    When you do , away from the rights or wrongs if it, a penalty award cannot be too much of a surprise.
    On the BD offside ruling, he himself has taken a v mature position on it ie he understands the dilemma, but is of the mind of ‘oh well that’s life, but over a season these things tend to balance out’ ie he may well find himself on the other side of the coin and an offside one may well actually go in his favour.
    That is in a way the beauty of it ie the unpredictability. The more they fine tune things the less the uncertainty - a good thing, or a bad thing ???
    Tricky, Despair. The technology has definitely improved cricket, but the time and continuity issues aren't so great there.
    I suppose we'd get used to "time out" referrals, but a lot of excitement would be lost. Also, even in cricket, players tend to abuse the system, so can you imagine what it would be like in football? They'd be begging referees to check throw-in decisions!
    I suppose one possibility is that only referees could halt play, and only for penalty-area decisions.
    I WOULD like technology to be used more AFTER a game, especially to punish divers!

Quote Originally Posted by AucklandRover View Post
    Tricky, Despair. The technology has definitely improved cricket, but the time and continuity issues aren't so great there.
    I suppose we'd get used to "time out" referrals, but a lot of excitement would be lost. Also, even in cricket, players tend to abuse the system, so can you imagine what it would be like in football? They'd be begging referees to check throw-in decisions!
    I suppose one possibility is that only referees could halt play, and only for penalty-area decisions.
    I WOULD like technology to be used more AFTER a game, especially to punish divers!
    I do think you have to take a philosophical view. Part of the game is us sat discussing ref decisions 3 days later. That's always very much been part of the game forever. Take that away, and you will lose something. Football is built on mistakes, and fine margins.
    And I do believe things even themselves out over time. Like TM said, we will get a goal this season that maybe 2 yards off side!?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)