+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: Ghosts

Hume's argument against miracles and superstitious belief.

People are very prone to accept the unusual and incredible, which excite agreeable passions of surprise and wonder.
    Those with strong religious beliefs are often prepared to give evidence that they know is false, "with the best intentions in the world, for the sake of promoting so holy a cause".[7]
    People are often too credulous when faced with such witnesses, whose apparent honesty and eloquence (together with the psychological effects of the marvellous described earlier) may overcome normal scepticism.
    Miracle stories tend to have their origins in "ignorant and barbarous nations"[8] – either elsewhere in the world or in a civilised nation's past. The history of every culture displays a pattern of development from a wealth of supernatural events – "[p]rodigies, omens, oracles, judgements"[6] – which steadily decreases over time, as the culture grows in knowledge and understanding of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by sickly_child View Post
    Hume's argument against miracles and superstitious belief.

People are very prone to accept the unusual and incredible, which excite agreeable passions of surprise and wonder.
    ... particularly barmy beatniks with Great Dane (?) dogs [post#2]

I seem to remember a ghost that appeared for many years somewhere (Stocksbridge by pass maybe?) a women with a child ?

I know people who have told me theyve experienced something..but not me..
    I do find it baffling though how accurate some mediums are, to say theyve never seen you before and they name your family for you and tell you what your dead relatives are saying... 😨 👻

If I'd asked this question 50 years ago I'd have been inundated with ghostly tales. All the mystery is going from life.

No fairies at the bottom of the garden either. Thank goodness

Quote Originally Posted by monty_rhodes View Post
    If I'd asked this question 50 years ago I'd have been inundated with ghostly tales. All the mystery is going from life.
    I said I’ve seen one Monty.
    But sickly says I haven’t so he must be correct.
    I was mistaken.

What is most likely that a supernatural event has occurred or that you were mistaken? May I ask what proof you had that it was a ghost? The burden of proof falls on the person making the claim.

Quote Originally Posted by Back of the net View Post
    I said I’ve seen one Monty.
    But sickly says I haven’t so he must be correct.
    I was mistaken.
    BOTN, ignore sickly - he's a shocking cynic - and if you can let me have a few details. I don't think we know enough about reality as per for example the very odd behaviour of particles at a quantum level to dismiss ghosts out of hand.

I will take that as a compliment Monty? Viva the enlightenment.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast