+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Don’t get me wrong but are we too tight with our budget.

Quote Originally Posted by frogmiller View Post
    I think that he, like the rest of the people who support The Millers would love it if we were an established Premiership team.
    I don't think that it is possible for us to do it.
    I agree. It's possible for clubs to buy a short stint there, but the sums involved are huge and the long term consequences can be horrible as per Portsmouth or Blackpool

A little but our chairman is right not to overspend. He made tighter restrictions after 88 players under Evans and Stubbs flops.

My view is that if we are going to grow "incrementally" as TS has stated many many times then that should also include the quality of players we buy or how do we achieve growth of any kind?

Attendances are going down and the club seems only interested in treading water.

Right now we seem to have the FINGERS CROSSED mentality that we can hang on in there and not go down.

It's a shame really because I think TS has lost his ambition for the club.

If Warney doesn’t want to spend then what do you expect TS to do?

Already been mentioned about Stubbs pulling the plug because he didn’t think the player was worth it, maybe that’s the same reason for Warney not getting players in that some of us think he should.

Even though I moan about certain games I still believe we will still be in Championship next season then maybe Warney or whoever the manager might be will spend a bit more if they think the player is worth it.
    Last edited by millertop; 13-09-2018 at 03:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    Why is it nonsense to say the he'd love to see the club in the Premiership? I certainly would. Wouldn't you?

I'd love to buy a ski Lodge in Aspen, but that doesn't mean that I think there is much chance of it happening unless I win the Euromiilions
    You forgot to mention the "within 5 years" bit.
    It was clearly just a throwaway line and we have no chance of achieving it based on the current financial status of the club.
    In fact we'll be lucky to stay in the Championship for a decent length of time based on the current financial status of the club.

Quote Originally Posted by millertop View Post
    If Warney doesn’t want to spend then what do you expect TS to do?

Already been mentioned about Stubbs pulling the plug because he didn’t think the player was worth it, maybe that’s the same reason for Warney not getting players in that some of us think he should.

Even though I moan about certain games I still believe we will still be in Championship next season then maybe Warney or whoever the manager might be will spend a bit more if they think the player is worth it.
    How do you know "Warney doesn't want to spend"?
    When did he say that?

Quote Originally Posted by mellowmiller View Post
    How do you know "Warney doesn't want to spend"?
    When did he say that?
    When did TS say he doesn’t have ambition or money?

I haven’t said Warney said it (has he?) I’m just asking what can TS do if Warney doesn’t want to spend .
    Last edited by millertop; 13-09-2018 at 03:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PerigordMiller View Post
    I think you are probably right Frog. (did I actually say that?).

Prudence dictates that both possibilities exist, and too much investment in the playing side could easily lead a club our size into the Stockport, Tranmere type situation.

I'm firmly in the 'no' camp, rather have us plodding along and certain survival than gamble for a year or two, for what? mid table?
    I agree to some extent but we are of the older generation of fans we didn’t walk away when things got tough, the younger generation of fans will.On a cold freezing day they can stop in & watch prem football on the box.We must improve & go forward are we will go stale.

I haven’t said Warney said it (has he?) I’m just asking what can TS do if Warney doesn’t want to spend .
    Not much if that’s the case but if it is the case then why not? Does warne want it in other areas of the club? Or does he want to save it until he builds a strong young club on freebies and youth academy grads and just needs that one key player for promotion.

You never know what’s being put in place

Again it comes back to what TS wants for the club.
    Most football chairman expect their managers to construct the best possible team within the budget available to them and I would imagine TS expects something similar of Warne. If he doesn't get this, his trigger finger may get itchy again.
    Someone has said we don't have a budget and TS just chucks money into the pot when it's needed. I can't imagine any business being run that way, but if it's true, why does the club employ a Financial Director?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast