+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The origins of the Dons

The origins of the Dons

New city centre plaque to commemorate the meeting that founded the Dons, and a heritage trail to visit the pitch locations that the club, and its previous incarnations played on in the city (Pacman will be first to collect them all).

Good work from the Trust.

http://www.afcheritage.org/news/news...stype=Heritage

Quote Originally Posted by 57vintage View Post
    New city centre plaque to commemorate the meeting that founded the Dons, and a heritage trail to visit the pitch locations that the club, and its previous incarnations played on in the city (Pacman will be first to collect them all).

I wonder if in 1881, Rudyard Milne invited the players to "procure their kit" for only £70 at the new club shop he'd built that can only hold 5 people at a time...

Aye fine, but why plan a museum at the new stadium, why not have it in Aberdeen?

Quote Originally Posted by donsdaft View Post
    Aye fine, but why plan a museum at the new stadium, why not have it in Aberdeen?
    There's definitely nae room within the current Pittodrie for it. The Trust has in the past discussed offering local exhibitions in Aberdeen and in the NE, but the cataloguing of the artefacts (fit happened to Arty?) without the space to do it, or store them in the conditions that they need for best preservation, presents the Trust's volunteers with a hoorin difficult task, bless their 1995 navy and red striped first team socks.

Loirston's plans included space for a museum and 'learning centre' (the latter description ticks boxes for funding from various bodies) and I think that Alford East has notional space allocated too. The Trust would then be responsible for raising the dosh to kit it out, and concomitantly (**** you Traynor, I was using that term when you were still getting your erse kicked by the sub-editors at the Airdrie and Coatbridge Buckfaster) the funds to manage and run it, including new exhibitions, interactive displays and other white man's magic offerings. It seems that a glass case with Stan Williams's 1947 cup-winning jock strap inside is less appealing to the digital age millenials than taking a penalty against a virtual CGI of Joe Lewis.

I know good work is done, I was only being cantankerous.

CGI?

No don't answer that, I sort of understand and I don't really want to know.

Remember the old museum beside the cowdray hall? I used to love it in there when I was a kid.
    Stuffed owls in glass cabinets have a limited appeal nowadays you say?

Still, at least we never spent £1,000000000000000 puting a rusty square broon box on top of the art gallery.

Now, that really took talent.

Expect thumbs up photos soon

Was the pitch at Cattofield Place one of them ? I was looking at an old map of Aberdeen today and noticed it. The was also a football (and cricket ground ) at Old Torry before the area was blootered for oil related harbour expansion

Quote Originally Posted by erchieplum View Post
    Was the pitch at Cattofield Place one of them ? I was looking at an old map of Aberdeen today and noticed it. The was also a football (and cricket ground ) at Old Torry before the area was blootered for oil related harbour expansion
    I assume that Cattofield will be included as I’m sure one of the three founder clubs played there.

Torry? Less sure. Chanonry will be among them though, I’ve no doubt.

If I get details from the Trust boys I ken, I’ll post them.

Since i was driving through

I assume that Cattofield will be included as I’m sure one of the three founder clubs played there.

Torry? Less sure. Chanonry will be among them though, I’ve no doubt.

If I get details from the Trust boys I ken, I’ll post them.
    I don't think the Torry one will be I, just thought it interesting that it was there and looked a decent sized ground

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast