+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Favourite sports book

Favourite sports book

Since we've had a couple of threads about footballers books thought it might be nice to see what sports books people like.

Mine are all football related but some favourites are all the ones by Michael Calvin - The Nowhere Men and Living on the Volcano.

Also like Jeff Stellings books, found them very funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Jammy89 View Post
    Since we've had a couple of threads about footballers books thought it might be nice to see what sports books people like.

Mine are all football related but some favourites are all the ones by Michael Calvin - The Nowhere Men and Living on the Volcano.

Also like Jeff Stellings books, found them very funny.
    I really enjoyed reading Sir Bobby's autobiography.

Read Steve Claridge's autobiography a while back...really engaging fella.

Bit of the wall but among others, I loved a book called "First Down and a Billion". Written by the former owner of the San Diego Chargers. Dont have to like or know about American Football mind as it talks about the business side of the sport, the eccentric characters of the game and how in the early days the NFL which is now a billions of dollar business flew on the seat of its pants in the early days. Loved the Al Davis stories who was the maverick owner of the Oakland Raiders who the author hated - wish we had an owner like him though who lived and breathed his team and ploughed massive amounts of his own money in.

And not strictly a sport but Joe Simpson's 'Touching the Void' about his infamous mountaineering accident where his partner had to cut the rope to save himself...it's the most incredible real-life story of survival against all the odds, the triumph of will over impossible adversity...I genuinely couldn't put it down until I'd finished it.

If you want to be gripped by a sporting book, this is the one.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    And not strictly a sport but Joe Simpson's 'Touching the Void' about his infamous mountaineering accident where his partner had to cut the rope to save himself...it's the most incredible real-life story of survival against all the odds, the triumph of will over impossible adversity...I genuinely couldn't put it down until I'd finished it.

If you want to be gripped by a sporting book, this is the one.
    Sounds like my type of read. Will look out for it and give it a go. Similarily not a sports book but I also liked the book "going to extremes". Was a documentary too I think. Benedict someone or other was his name who is a bit of an adventurer who went to the hottest, coldest, driest and wettest places on the planet. The Ranulph fines book "Mad Bad an Dangerous to Know" is also sitting on my bookshelf unread.

Also, do yourself a favour and a read book called "Col Paddy the man who dared". The lesser known story of one of the founder members of the SAS Blair Mayne. Should make a film of him I think. British Lion rugby player, lawyer, founded of the SAS, decked his commanding officer - would of had a VC otherwise, boxing champion and multi decorated soldier. Took a machine gun nest, blew up an airfield and took hundreds of German prisoners single handed in the war. After the war the story goes he would regularly go in to his local bar in Ireland and challenge anyone to a fight and beat them all one after the other. A nutter, drunkered and a gambler who died in his sports car at 4am after a card game at the age of 45. For me a legend and a hero. Again, not really a sports book though.

peter crouches by far very funny
    i liked gascoines for its honesty

Sir bobbys was a good read and so was fergusons

Quote Originally Posted by Sclox View Post
    Sounds like my type of read. Will look out for it and give it a go. Similarily not a sports book but I also liked the book "going to extremes". Was a documentary too I think. Benedict someone or other was his name who is a bit of an adventurer who went to the hottest, coldest, driest and wettest places on the planet. The Ranulph fines book "Mad Bad an Dangerous to Know" is also sitting on my bookshelf unread.

Also, do yourself a favour and a read book called "Col Paddy the man who dared". The lesser known story of one of the founder members of the SAS Blair Mayne. Should make a film of him I think. British Lion rugby player, lawyer, founded of the SAS, decked his commanding officer - would of had a VC otherwise, boxing champion and multi decorated soldier. Took a machine gun nest, blew up an airfield and took hundreds of German prisoners single handed in the war. After the war the story goes he would regularly go in to his local bar in Ireland and challenge anyone to a fight and beat them all one after the other. A nutter, drunkered and a gambler who died in his sports car at 4am after a card game at the age of 45. For me a legend and a hero. Again, not really a sports book though.
    he stayed out in the desert behind lines doing daamage to airfields oil lines etc

phil campions book is good

Alex Ferguson is a must read especially about Dion Dublin in the shower.
    Keegan book will be a great book

Quote Originally Posted by pboromag View Post
    he stayed out in the desert behind lines doing daamage to airfields oil lines etc

phil campions book is good
    So prolific at destruction behind the lines that Adolf Hitler himself put a bounty on his head. Think in the end he became the most decorated soldier in British Army history.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)