+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Bahre says good start and youthful squad attracted him

Bahre says good start and youthful squad attracted him

Barnsley's excellent start to the season and their youthful squad made the club just as attractive to Mike-Steven Bahre as did his relationship with head coach Daniel Stendel.

The 23-year-old midfielder joined the Reds on deadline day on a season-long loan from Hannover 96, where he had previously worked with Oakwell boss Stendel in the youth team and first team.

Bahre, who is expected to join Barnsley permanently at the end of the season, has started in the Checkatrade Trophy win at Oldham Athletic and the home league draw with Walsall on Saturday.

He was the first name Stendel mentioned to the Reds board when asked after his appointment in June if he wanted to bring any German players with him. Bahre told the Chronicle: “Just a few days after he signed for Barnsley, Daniel called me and and said he wanted me to come here with him.

“But it took time because I had a pre-season with Hannover. In the end, I am really happy that everything worked out how we wanted. He was a big reason why I came here. But also, after he called me, I looked at Barnsley’s results and highlights in the first games.
    “The way they started the season was another good reason to come to Barnsley, so was the fact they are a really, really young team. The oldest player is just 26 and it’s easier to come into the team if they have players my age. I hope we can get a lot more points and finish in the top two positions.”

The deal was only done just in time. Bahre said: “It was really stressful. I signed my contract one minute before the deadline, then I had to go back to Hannover and get all my things. But it’s been good. The club is really much bigger than I thought. It was my wish to come here and do something big.

“It’s very different to the third league in Germany. It’s a better standard because it’s more intense.”

Stendel has said that Bahre can play in central midfield, either a holding or attacking role, as well as on the wing and behind the striker. Asked what his best position is, the player said: “I like being in the centre, because my best play is when I have contact. I can play on the wing but it is not my best position. I want to play in the centre, more offensive than defensive. But I will play wherever the manager wants me to play.”

Bahre began on the wing against Walsall then dropped back into central midfield. He said: “It was OK, but not my best performance. I had only trained three times with the team and I have to get to know my team-mates better. There is a lot more to come from me. I have a little advantage because I know Daniel but I know I will have to play well to play every game.”

Conundrum player. As in who does he replace in the team when everyone's fit? I'd plump for him playing alongside Moore when Dougall and Potts are back in the team at the expense of Moncur who is flattering to deceive given his favoured role the last few games.

I'm starting to think Woodrow might be the new Richard Kell

It'll all end in teears, mark my words.

Dressing room unrest as Stendel keeps picking Bahre. "Iz only picking thee cos tha'r iz mate. Am better than thee. Am telling mi Dad".
    Last edited by SBRed48; 14-09-2018 at 12:42 PM.