+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Post Match Vids:

Nice to see Hemmings urging the crowd on in some of those videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Bohinen View Post
    Sorry Mick. Anyway, maybe I exaggerate but check out the punch at 20.28 this vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv0A5CupCCY

It's called dominating your 6 yard box.
    Personally I normally only watch this video from 45 mins for about 5 mins. first national mention of the Wheelbarrow song which from what I remember seemed to sound really loud at the time and it does on the video, followed shortly afterwards by Don's screamer!

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    Alan Hardy is actually correct, but the negative narrative about the goalkeeper is so strong at present that people are blaming him for virtually every goal that goes in. The script is pre-written in their head even before the game starts and I noticed it yesterday with some of the comments from fans around me.

In reality, the biggest problem we have with our defence is a complete inability to stop crosses, too many missed headers and a tendency to back off and shadow play (a Nolan legacy) rather than engage the opponent's attacking players early, all of which leads to far too much of the ball coming into our penalty area and too many shots and headers on goal from close range, which are always going to be difficult for a goalkeeper to stop.

Yes, Ross Fitzsimons does look low on confidence, and without doubt he was at fault for one of the goals against Lincoln (flapping at a ball in the air) and the third goal against Forest Green (went softly under his arm), but even if we'd had Adam Collin or even Steve Cherry or Kasper Schmeichel in goal, they wouldn't have been able to do much about many of the goals we're conceding. Anybody who thinks that a new goalkeeper is the answer to all of our problems is basing that view on a basic pre-conceived narrative that the goalkeeper must be to blame if a team concedes lots of goals, rather than objectively analysing the goals themselves.

As I said last week, my biggest criticism of Fitzsimons is actually that (probably due to lack of confidence) he doesn't impose himself enough on his defence as a personality. He stupidly kicked an opposition player up the backside last season, but metaphorically speaking he should try doing that a bit more with our own full-backs, central defenders and midfielders, because they bloody deserve it. Some of their "defensive" efforts are so poor and lazy as to be comical - they literally just go through the motions to "look" as if they're trying to affect play, without actually doing much at all. In that regard, I think a Cherry or a Schmeichel would have been handing out a few more b*llockings, pushing more players around and generally demanding much more. Ross in comparison looks meek, perhaps because he hasn't got the experience or maybe that type of personality. He's actually entitled to be very angry, and to show it, because he's copping a lot of the flack individually for what is very clearly a collective failure.
    You make some very good points here. Defenders are there to stop crosses coming into the box. Schmeichel wasn't that good on crosses and you are right Cherry too but with Yates and Short he was well protected. I didn't think Fitz or Pindroch would fit the bill in the first place but we must get behind him now as he's all that we've got.

Fitz is a victim of lasts season's Adam Collin witch hunt.

People hated Collin so much that they built Fitz up to be something that he wasn't and as a result, expectations were really high for him this season.

The reality is, he is a young goalkeeper, with no league experience and prior to joining us was at Chelmsford City, he had a good run last season but isn't strong enough this season.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345