+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fair result today

Fair result today

While I am disappointed at Villa getting a late equaliser I must admit it was a superb free kick. Dacks offside goal was a bad call as was the Villa penalty decision a few moments later. Overall it was a good game and it showed we can compete at this level. We must however stop giving silly free kicks away at the edge of the penalty area as they are already costing us points.

Managed to watch today and totally agree with your view, yes on balance it was two points justly shared.
    Judging Raya (LT commenters) giving too much opportunity to hit the near post is far too harsh, if Charlie had hit that we'd be drooling it was a cracking strike.
    Only first showing, but Reed looks like he could be a real asset.

I don't blame Raya at all, we would have needed two more men in the wall to block the free kick , it might have been a better tactic to not give it away in the first place. Reed take note. Overall a decent performance after the Brizzle fiasco.

I couldn't find a stream, so I listened to the audio commentary, which is even more nerve-wracking. I must admit I had an uneasy feeling when that final free kick was awarded.
    It does show, though - as Test said - that last year's core-squad CAN compete at this level. With the new signings gradually being filtered in, it gives some cause for optimism. Five points from the relegation zone and five points from the top!
    Well done to Rotherham, but I'm not sure they did us any favours with that result

I thought Villa where fortunate. It wants pen. The guy was already slipping. He didn't even appeal for it. Bruce may have done. But he's about to lose his job. So he's going to.

Our goal wasn't offside. Had that gine in when we where dominating, we'd have beaten them.

I don't recall Raya making one save of any note. Abraham missed 2 sitters. Not our fault he can't hit the target. And a free kick in 5 mins of injury time, when no trainer had been on the pitch in the 2nd half. We had a save stopped on the goal line. Had a perfectly good goal ruled out. Scored. And had lots of half chances. I thought we looked fully in control all night vrs a very expensive side. Grealish was a ponce and did nothing. Dack caused them loads of problems and actually had a quiet night for his standards.

I thought they where extremely fortunate. And had 1 or 2 shots all game. And they've spent about £80m more than us.

Quote Originally Posted by champs95 View Post
    I thought Villa where fortunate. It wants pen. The guy was already slipping. He didn't even appeal for it. Bruce may have done. But he's about to lose his job. So he's going to.

Our goal wasn't offside. Had that gine in when we where dominating, we'd have beaten them.

I don't recall Raya making one save of any note. Abraham missed 2 sitters. Not our fault he can't hit the target. And a free kick in 5 mins of injury time, when no trainer had been on the pitch in the 2nd half. We had a save stopped on the goal line. Had a perfectly good goal ruled out. Scored. And had lots of half chances. I thought we looked fully in control all night vrs a very expensive side. Grealish was a ponce and did nothing. Dack caused them loads of problems and actually had a quiet night for his standards.

I thought they where extremely fortunate. And had 1 or 2 shots all game. And they've spent about £80m more than us.
    Don't agree about the penalty, Champs. Smallwood made definite contact after the player had gone past him. He might have recovered his balance, but Smallwood's boot made sure he didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by AucklandRover View Post
    Don't agree about the penalty, Champs. Smallwood made definite contact after the player had gone past him. He might have recovered his balance, but Smallwood's boot made sure he didn't.
    Every tackle I ever made I made sure I made contact with the player. It's part of the game. It is a contact sport. He was falling over when he cut back. And went into Smallwood. Where was Smallwood meant ti go? Disappear? The Villa player didn't even appeal. I was 10 yards from it. Right in line. The ref was about 4 yards away. Right in line. He was going to make sure that contact was made. That's why I think he didn't give it. No doubt contact was made

Quote Originally Posted by champs95 View Post
    Every tackle I ever made I made sure I made contact with the player. It's part of the game. It is a contact sport. He was falling over when he cut back. And went into Smallwood. Where was Smallwood meant ti go? Disappear? The Villa player didn't even appeal. I was 10 yards from it. Right in line. The ref was about 4 yards away. Right in line. He was going to make sure that contact was made. That's why I think he didn't give it. No doubt contact was made
    It WAS a very tight call. The dangerous thing, though, was that the contact wasn't "ball-side".
    I still think we'd have been "disappointed" if it had been at the other end.
    The "off-side" was very close too. I don't really blame the official: it was two inches from 20 metres, through a crowd. This is what I meant on the other thread about games sometimes turning on moments outside the players' and manager's control.

Quote Originally Posted by AucklandRover View Post
    It WAS a very tight call. The dangerous thing, though, was that the contact wasn't "ball-side".
    I still think we'd have been "disappointed" if it had been at the other end.
    The "off-side" was very close too. I don't really blame the official: it was two inches from 20 metres, through a crowd. This is what I meant on the other thread about games sometimes turning on moments outside the players' and manager's control.
    I can see why Dack's was ruled out. The linesman was on the side from where Mulgrew crossed it. Dack had Hutton stood directly behind him, so blocked the linesman's view. Meaning the lino only saw Dack stood a yard offside. He wasn't, he was in line with Dack.
    The ref was not unsighted for the penalty call. He was a few yards away, and had a clear view. I always go off a players reaction. As they appeal for anything, right or wrong. The Villa lad (the lad who we refused to pay over £4m for, who doesn't look as good as Reed, or as quick) didn't really appeal either.
    Its one of those, by the 15th replay you could start to make a case. The ref doesn't have that luxury.

I got annoyed before Auks, because it annoyed me Bruce had complained about one, and didn't mention our perfectly good goal. And you said I sounded like him.
    I saw both, made reference to both, but gave my opinion. He didn't! He saw one and ignored the other.

That is true.
    A very good set of comments by TM today on the official site about managers' reactions during a game. You have to like this man - he is much more honest and straightforward than the average bloke in his position. He can also look at himself with a touch of ironic, self-aware humour. Can you imagine Lambert doing that?!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)