+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Derby(away)predictions

I can totally see the direction Mowbray is heading us
    Rothwell,reed(potential move) and brereton all young and hungry but we might see them really blossoming next season with glimpses in this.
    Slowly but surely the old guard will stand down and the young will take over after having a season of bit parts under their belt.
    Next season Conway will more than likely be offered a coaching role and the likes of Graham and mulgrew will provide nurturing roles to the young coming in before ultimately going/coaching the season after.
    Mowbray has provided a system in which he utilises the current crop to motivate the new ones to of course take over the season after
    The future is very bright at the club.

Quote Originally Posted by robinrover View Post
    I can totally see the direction Mowbray is heading us
    Rothwell,reed(potential move) and brereton all young and hungry but we might see them really blossoming next season with glimpses in this.
    Slowly but surely the old guard will stand down and the young will take over after having a season of bit parts under their belt.
    Next season Conway will more than likely be offered a coaching role and the likes of Graham and mulgrew will provide nurturing roles to the young coming in before ultimately going/coaching the season after.
    Mowbray has provided a system in which he utilises the current crop to motivate the new ones to of course take over the season after
    The future is very bright at the club.

I just think we have plenty of time to develop as a team. We where never going for promotion this season. If we where we would be looking to sign a finished article. We wont sign a guy who can be unbelievably limited in only being able to play one position. Sorry Auks, like Sam Gallagher.
    We need options, we need a guy with pace who can play in multiple roles across the front 3.
    You can see a mile away whats happening, the old are here now, and will keep us strong and a decent enough Champ side. The new will come in over time, and gradually replace the older ones.

I just hope that venkys will continue to back Mowbray as this season is just step 1 of 3
    Consolidation,challenge,promotion
    Hopefully of course
    This season was just keeping ourselves in this league without a struggle
    So far so good.

Champs WADR I really am baffled on why you keep seeing opinions thoughts comments on here as Tony Mowbray ‘bashing’ ???
    I can 100% assure you that you are way wide of the mark when thinking that myself or any other are ‘sat waiting for a failure’ ???
    I do not expect instant success from any one, I’ve lived too long a life to be that naive . I am not referring to him kicking off a career with us this week, next week or before Xmas. Yes he is part of the next stage of the building process. In being so he is by far the largest outlay, so on that basis alone he stands out as the one that really must ‘work out’. That is what is being voiced.
    Not criticism or concern , but objective realism.

Quote Originally Posted by champs95 View Post
    This is all I will add to all of this re Brereton.
    Tony Mowbray knows this is a large amount of money to spend.
    He knows his stock has never been so high as a manager. He has the full trust of the club, and the full trust of the owners. Who have trusted in him, and given him a large sum of money to sign a 19 year old.

Nothing about TM makes me think he is a gambling man, who takes huge risks.

Why would he take such a massive gamble is all I ask? Has he every looked like being a risk taker?

He has an almost unbleamished record at Rovers, so he will be fully aware he is risking all of this.
    If this Brereton deal goes wrong, forget the promotion. Forget not losing in over a year. Forget the direction we have turned. Forget the positive feeling inside the club.

People are sat waiting for one result to go wrong, before they can start.

Or one signing that may not come off? And the same, they will be so quick to pounce. People just sat waiting for things to go wrong, so they can jump on it.

Like writing this lad off after a few weeks and not seeing him play. That's a huge call.

I will be looking to see what this 19 year old lad is doing in 12 months time, as I understand how football works. This Sky generation has taught normal fans to not think straight, and demand success HERE AND NOW!!!

He has to be playing now, and scoring 3 goals on his debut or I will be sat here every weekend questioning it? Nah ........football doesn't work that way.

What you guys wanted, was a guy to come in, and take DG place basically. Which completely goes against this notion of agreeing that Bennett/Evans/Smallwood should not be taken out of the team.
    But you DO want a striker to walk straight in, displace probably our best and most senior pro .....because you believe in this pathetic Sky generation of everybody has to be successful today! Not tomorrow, or next week ......TODAY!! NOW.

For level headed people, and you would not expect this with anything else? Why expect this? If we lose 5 games in a row, do you think we should SACK MOWBRAY!!!! BECAUSE WE ARENT DOING WELL HERE AND NOW!!!!

No, that would be absolutely mental.

We aren't going down, we are actually quite a strong side right here and now. Why rush a 19 year old because of YOUR expectations, not really based on sound thinking? In short, what is your rush in seeing a finished article Auks? So surley now is the time to get in young players, to progress? As we are actually very strong as it is. Id rather spend £7m of a 19 year old. than £10m on a 29 year old. Both of similar ability.

Do you think a side who has just been playing Div 1 football, who have a relatively tiny budget compared to the rest of the league, should be going out and buying a finished article?

You keep saying Gallagher?? Nobody wanted him. And he is playing against a bunch of kids in the Under 23 league. He has hardly progessed has he? He appears to have gone backwards. Why risk £7m on a guy who is going backwards? Who we know cant do it?? As he was with us before, and we went down. He showed no real signs of progressing, since then he has scored less goals? That seems a huge gamble? And not one side wanted to sign him. Put off by the stupid £7m fee.
    I have never once said I wanted Gallagher in to replace Graham. Graham would always be one of my first four on the team-sheet. The point is - and TM himself has said it - it's not always going to be possible for Graham to do two full 90-minute stints a week, and - of course - he might get injured or suspended. Given that situation, I think it's sensible to have a like-for-like replacement. Unfortunately, it doesn't look as if Nuttall is quite up to it, and Armstrong clearly isn't the right physical type to be a hold-up target-man. Brereton MAY be able to do that job eventually, but I think we are looking at six months to a year before he develops into what Mowbray wants.
    We saw the difference Graham made on Tuesday. I just don't think we have anyone else who can play that game. In the short term therefore, I would have liked to have seen a signing who could IMMEDIATELY have done Graham's job when required. It didn't have to be Gallagher. I just feel there should have been SOMEONE. We got Reed, Davenport and Rothwell as cover in the central midfield area where we were already well-stocked, which is not a problem, as all three look very promising. However, Tuesday showed that we are definitely short of a second person who can bring to a game the qualities we get from Graham.

Maybe Graham could take nuttall under his wing and teach him the finer points on hold up play
    Nuttall has the build but not the knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by robinrover View Post
    Maybe Graham could take nuttall under his wing and teach him the finer points on hold up play
    Nuttall has the build but not the knowledge.
    That would be excellent.
    Several times, I thought Nuttall has looked as if he isn't quite sure what to do. He needs the confidence to simply protect the ball and wait for the right moment to release. That's what Graham does so well. You have to be prepared to ride out a bit of a clattering too. It's quite old-fashioned, I know, but there are some games where it's essential.

I sat and watched Graham talk, instruct, point and walk Brereton through the final 20 mins vrs Villa. That's how and where he will develop.

If we bought someone ready to walk in and be better than Graham, we'd have paid alot more. And Graham would've been dropped.

I'll trust TM's judgement.
    Like I did at Derby on Tues. I couldn't understand the side he picked. I Could be picked holes in it prior to kick off.
    Tough to do so after when we walked off with a result.

It's easy to sit and pick holes every week, buy generally the results, the signings and his judgement are posituve/sound most of the time. Not always, but a majority.

This will probably come back at me, but who do you think is responsible for getting all of this out of Graham?
    Coyle didn't, and he was pretty poor on average was Graham.

I'd say it's down to Grahams hunger, but most certainly in short part down to TM.

When TM first came, Graham was un-interested and un-fit. Like alot of out first team. Mulgrew, Bennett.

Maybe TM could get the best out of Brereton? Like he has with Dack? And at times Armstrong? And Graham. And Bennett, Mulgrew Williams and Smallwood. Getting Evans back to his previous form.
    Maybe just maybe TM has a long term plan? Maybe he could be trusted.

Quote Originally Posted by champs95 View Post
    This will probably come back at me, but who do you think is responsible for getting all of this out of Graham?
    Coyle didn't, and he was pretty poor on average was Graham.

I'd say it's down to Grahams hunger, but most certainly in short part down to TM.

When TM first came, Graham was un-interested and un-fit. Like alot of out first team. Mulgrew, Bennett.

Maybe TM could get the best out of Brereton? Like he has with Dack? And at times Armstrong? And Graham. And Bennett, Mulgrew Williams and Smallwood. Getting Evans back to his previous form.
    Maybe just maybe TM has a long term plan? Maybe he could be trusted.
    Champs - you're putting words into our mouths. NO-ONE has said Mowbray is not to be trusted.
    As I said, he brought in lots of cover for midfield, but no one-for-one cover for Graham. That is not a criticism; it's a simple fact. If Graham was to do a hamstring now, we would have severe problems in the kind of game where you need someone to hold the ball up.
    Not every game is like that; sometimes, Armstrong will be fine. He is never going to be a target man, however. Brereton MIGHT be able to do it, but he is probably going to be introduced slowly.
    You can't argue, on the one hand, that we need quality cover in every position, and then - on the other - say that doesn't apply in this particular case. To me, Dack is always going to get more chances when he is feeding off someone like Danny, because Armstrong, Palmer and Dack are perhaps a bit too similar in style to give the variety we need when they are all on the field together.
    I don't doubt for a moment that TM "has a long-term plan". I am talking about the here and now. And there is an obvious gap.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)