+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Would You Welcome Another Referendum On Brexit ?

Quote Originally Posted by anstonred View Post
    Colliers, 52% of those who voted (not of the country) - I wanted to remain (EU policies on workers rights, maternity & holiday pay will be eroded by the likes of Boris, Nigel, David Davies & Gove) - look at the names! Crikey! Since the referendum, everyone was saying that the worst possible outcome was No Deal, then, in the last few months, our “wonderful” media have increasingly talked about it & now, No Deal is being touted as the best outcome! Everyone is entitled to their opinion & vote, but I truly believe this is madness I would support another referendum as I know a good number of Leavers who feel they made the wrong decision.
    I object to the right wing press & their terminology- brexiteers (as though they are Musketeers & fighting for truth & justice etc) & Remoaners (moaners like me cos they “lost”) - I truly fear for my children’s & grandchildren futures because of this
    Good post anston and even though we both voted differently I can reconcile with your thoughts .

When we voted we all had our reasons as to which way that was , I can understand the anger from remainers because of what's occured over the last two years and the way this things worked out .

I don't know where this country is heading now or in the future to be honest .

It could makes us or it could break us , europe is definitely on the change , the far right are on the rise which tends to suggest something isn't quite chiming for far too many people , poor economic conditions are historically it's most fertile ground .

Once the far right get a run good going in politics it tends to carry plenty of clout looking at history , it tends not to work out too well in the longer term , millions of people tend to die .

I'm bewildered at times by the tories , the shift to the right is alarming , never my cup of tea but it's hard to envisage Heath , Thatcher or Major shifting the party in that direction , there was a certain amount of credibility about Major especially that commanded a certain amount of respect even from the likes of me .

I'm at a point in my life , for the first time admittedly where I look at the bigger picture with my eyes a little more open , I'm not a wealthy man but I'm in a good position and many of the old fights of yesterday don't apply personally and if people aren't prepared to fight harder and step up I kind of think well fuq you , cos if you don't have the minerals I ain't wasting my time on you , my patience meter isn't what it once was .

The people of this country who are most affected by neoliberal policies could end it within possibly two months if they had the collective mindset , solidarity and a willingness to accept a bit of hardship for two months out of their lives , a remarkable fact but there seems to be very little willing to do it , moaning and groaning doesn't cut it with me , poor you , grow a pair me thinks these days .

The shift to the right worries me a great deal looking at Europe and America , somewhere along the way the safe central ground that whilst not always ideal c@cked the fuq up , Brexit happened and Trump got elected , even the Swedes have joined the party to a certain extent .

Even an old left winger like me with a history of activism is looking for some stability , if only to stop the far right .

Things are pretty serious in my opinion and even I need to compromise , the far right are frightening , like I say it never ends well for anyone historically .

Quote Originally Posted by lk311 View Post
    Strange how the 1975 referendum was done in exactly same way but nobody seems to have objected to the fact a referendum would decide and not Parliament.
    What's your point? The electorate voted to leave and we are leaving next year. The debate at the moment is over the terms of the departure and of the future relationship with the EU.

Tories shift to the right? They Labour light nowadays. Labour gone so far to the left its insane.

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    What's your point? The electorate voted to leave and we are leaving next year. The debate at the moment is over the terms of the departure and of the future relationship with the EU.
    Really?

My mistake, I thought the post was about would you welcome another referendum not about the terms etc

My mistake, I thought the post was about would you welcome another referendum not about the terms etc
    I'm sorry, but I really don't get the point that originally made or the one you are making now.

The 1975 referendum was upon whether we should remain in what was then the EEC. The country voted remain and that's what we did. In the 2016 vote, the country voted leave and that is what the government is putting into effect. The opposition parties and some Tory rebels have managed to secure a concession under which Parliament gets a 'meaningful vote' on the terms of our departure, but not on the issue of whether we leave. That was secured by Gina Miller in the Supreme Court and led to the later vote by Parliament to give notice of withdrawal.

Help me with what your point is.

I'm sorry, but I really don't get the point that originally made or the one you are making now.

The 1975 referendum was upon whether we should remain in what was then the EEC. The country voted remain and that's what we did. In the 2016 vote, the country voted leave and that is what the government is putting into effect. The opposition parties and some Tory rebels have managed to secure a concession under which Parliament gets a 'meaningful vote' on the terms of our departure, but not on the issue of whether we leave. That was secured by Gina Miller in the Supreme Court and led to the later vote by Parliament to give notice of withdrawal.

Help me with what your point is.
    I admit I was only 5 in 1975, so my recollection is from historical reference not living it but as far as I am aware they didn’t have a second referendum, which is what this post was about?
    Secondly other posters said it wasn’t binding but neither was the 1975 but it was accepted.

I admit I was only 5 in 1975, so my recollection is from historical reference not living it but as far as I am aware they didn’t have a second referendum, which is what this post was about?
    Secondly other posters said it wasn’t binding but neither was the 1975 but it was accepted.
    We voted remain in 1975. The referendum in 2016 was a second referendum (although it's possible to argue that the EEC had fundamentally changed beyond merely rebranding as the EU).

I have little doubt that we will have a third referendum within the next 20 years or so upon whether we rejoin the EU, or whatever it will be called by then.

Here's my take on our current position

May is a remainer at heart
    May is making a botch of things with the Tory Grandees pulling the strings
    Thatcher thought she was in control but in the end she wasn't
    May [& the nomark Gove] keep reiterating the mantra that accepting the peoples wishes must honoured
    There are forces at work promoting the idea that the people should decide on the outcome of the negotiations with the "EU" with a vote [referendum] on the outcome
    Options being
    accept the deal [whatever it is]
    accept no deal
    REMAIN
    If by this means the vote is to remain, it will be the will of the people thus absolving our politicians of any responsibility which I believe is the end game
    Last edited by Exiletyke; 19-09-2018 at 02:17 PM.

Once again this is a football website and there should be no politics on it but saying that brexit isn't just politcs it is a bunch of conspirators who have come up with the idea of using scumbags who dislike migrants and people of colour to win a vote and thus give these tories more dictatorial powers over the all the people in Britain.

Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast