+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Ghost of Tony Pulis

The Ghost of Tony Pulis

Still exists at West Brom, Darren Moore's inability to have a plan B, over 30's again being signed, younger players not getting a game in league matches when everyone can see its crying out for some energy, his latest comments saying his substitutions v Brum excited him (Barry and Robson Kanu ffs).
    I know it's work in progress and everyone would love Big Dave to succeed, but he needs to wake up, away games require a different system we need to be hard to beat.
    I really hope he gets us promoted, but there's a little something saying we should have had a clean sweep of all of Pulis's men and gone for Dean Smith.

I actually do not want the current side to go into the Premiership. I think we would be an embarrassment. In my fantasy perfect world concerning Albion I would want to go up with a team averaging an age of about 24. Attacking skilful play coupled with a determined midfield and defence and at least 75% of the team British born players. Lets start looking at good Scottish, Welsh and Irish players to supplement English players. I am fed up with being told we are looking at some player whose name I cannot pronounce from a country that did not exist when I was a kid. I was raised on a team with a Scottish right back, a Welsh left back, English centre halves, a Scottish midfielder with a left foot to die for, a right half who would get you 15 or more goals a season. An English centre forward who would get you 20-30 goals a season and a winger whose only thought was to fly down the wing and put the ball into the penalty area. Oh, and he could get you 20 goals in a season also. Rant over.

Quote Originally Posted by Bombers right foot View Post
    Still exists at West Brom, Darren Moore's inability to have a plan B, over 30's again being signed, younger players not getting a game in league matches when everyone can see its crying out for some energy, his latest comments saying his substitutions v Brum excited him (Barry and Robson Kanu ffs).
    I know it's work in progress and everyone would love Big Dave to succeed, but he needs to wake up, away games require a different system we need to be hard to beat.
    I really hope he gets us promoted, but there's a little something saying we should have had a clean sweep of all of Pulis's men and gone for Dean Smith.
    To be fair mate we have lost one away game in the last minute.

Tony Pulis did a job for us at the time. The only Ghost is the one that keeps being brought up here like a dog with a bone. Leave the guy in peace and stop blaming him for everything. He's gone. Its in the past. Its over, and he's managing a team now who are genuine promotion contenders, so how bad is he? He's different. Once everyone wraps their head around that concept its easier to let go.

I have to admit that you're right Boingy. Pulis was the right man for the job when he took over but what is also true is that his position became untenable in the end. I won't be for ever criticising him although I was fed up with his dire approach and the lack of results. Again you're right, he has gone now, so let's look to the future, thank him for the few seasons of relative success and not continually blame him for any of our present short comings.

I assume JD that you are talking of the likes of Doug Fraser, Graham Williams, John Kaye, John Wile, Bobby Hope, Tony Brown, Jeff Astle and Clive Clarke. They appear to fit your descriptions.

Quote Originally Posted by boingy View Post
    Tony Pulis did a job for us at the time. The only Ghost is the one that keeps being brought up here like a dog with a bone. Leave the guy in peace and stop blaming him for everything. He's gone. Its in the past. Its over, and he's managing a team now who are genuine promotion contenders, so how bad is he? He's different. Once everyone wraps their head around that concept its easier to let go.

Your totally right Boingy. Sadly, I can at the moment see Boro having more chance of promotion than us.

And hey - it's not the manager who signs all these loans/aged players! It's the tight **** who holds the purse strings and since when have our club been any different!

Hi guys, I may have not put my point across properly, what I meant was with BD working with Pulis some of his ideas may have been taken on board, aka a bit of mistrust of the younger players and a safety first with the older players, however in his defence he's the one that sees them in training week in week out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bombers right foot View Post
    Hi guys, I may have not put my point across properly, what I meant was with BD working with Pulis some of his ideas may have been taken on board, aka a bit of mistrust of the younger players and a safety first with the older players, however in his defence he's the one that sees them in training week in week out.
    The coaches see the players week in week out, you are right we don't see what they see or the reasons why choices are made. Big Darren certainly hasn't copied Tony Pulis's defence though its glaringly worse but then a back 3 is quite a change as is a Belgian type approach. Lets hope it all gels well. If it does we could have an exciting team to watch on a consistent level.

I always find it odd that a defender who becomes a manager finds it difficult to defend

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)