+ Visit Wolverhampton Wanderers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The quiet man at the back!

The quiet man at the back!

I have not managed to get to a live game yet this season, however, I have caught three games on TV. To say I have been impressed with what I have seen is an understatement. Yes we could, have and should have, scored more against Burnley, but with so many chances created it is difficult to criticise.

These missed chances could return to bite us against some clubs, but I don't feel that we are far away from giving a team a real tanking. Some of the pundits are now starting to sit up and take notice, we are not in the Premiership to just make up the numbers.

Now to get to my title. We have over the last two years purchased some real class players that seem to want to play for the club. They have not arrived on the cheap, having said that to pick up Joao Moutinho for the reported fee is just staggering. However, one player who joined last season has been a revelation. Ryan Bennett did well last year in the Championship, but I am sure many supporters had reservations about the step up to the Prem. In fact his position in the team looked under threat when Romain Saiss had such a good World Cup in the back three. Pre season seemed to confirm this, but credit to Ryan he retained his place and has looked totally comfortable at this level, making some terrific tackles and interceptions, while winning more than his fair share of headers. He does not seem to be vocal on the pitch leaving Coady to do the shouting but personally I am glad he is playing for us and not against.

Not a bad lad for a free transfer!

Totally agree Abbo, although I think its difficult to spot a trully weak link at the moment. If I were really pushed (and like you I haven't seen a live match) I have some concerns about Bonatini. I hope just a question of confidence and when he starts scoring ......

I think as a team we’re a bit goal shy, it’s probably wrong in my opinion to single out Bonatini, he’s had less game time than Costa, Jota and in particular Jimenez who is guilty of more than his fair share of profligacy. I was of the opinion that we should have opted for Afobe before Bonatini pre season, the opening games have changed my mind. Bonatini is showing willing in his role as a bit player, his contribution to our point haul runs deeper than his assist at West Ham... a few goals over the season and I think we’ll all be converts?

Great post Abbo couldn’t agree more about Bennett, he’s definitely up to it so far.

Bennett, great game for sure. But I thought this post would be about big Willy. He did his job quietly, effectively, efficiently and with great skill. No fuss at all. Great performance.

Can't disagree with you about your comments on your big willy Woodlands. I am sure that there are some ladies around Wolvo that could confirm the size!!. However, my point was that Ryan was a free transfer, and not a bad one at that.

I found it amusing at the start of the season where on social media many were pointing out that Bennett's place in the starting eleven was in doubt. He has proved a lot of doubters wrong and is playing a big part in Wolves' decent start to the season.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)