+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Unpaid "Matchday Heroes" furore...

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    Why on earth can't the NHS pay for their own despatch riders? These daft sods are playing right into the Tory Party/Lib Dem Alliance "back to serfdom" plans.

You know the mantra, "Club together, don't rely on the State to provide the basics, look after your own and please die early then we don't have to provide you with a pension!" That philosophy comes straight out of the Theresa May Handbook. The Tories have taken the Lib/Dems out of the loop but you can't take the Lib/Dems out of the Tory Party.
    The NHS won't pay for their own despatch riders, in fact, the London Ambulance Service is even thinking of getting rid of its Motor Cycle Unit which responds faster than anyone to emergencies on the streets of London because they are able to get through the traffic easier than anything. This unit comprises senior paramedics who are extremely competent and have saved many, many lives and who enjoy their particular type of service, however, morale is being affected and rather than face the prospect of going back on the 'wagons' many are considering leaving a service which, because of mismanagement, has lost a lot of staff during the past couple of years and has even tried recruiting in Australia, promising any newcomers some ridiculous benefits.

More power to the Blood bikers ---they do a brilliant job and, like so many of us who carry out voluntary work, they are happy to do it without any recognition at all. Scabs indeed!! Well put me in that group as well because I help soldiers, sailors and airmen and their families who, sometimes, desperately need help so I suppose that I am taking the place of a social worker except that many have been kicked into touch already through the social services!

Well said Supersub. And thank you for the work you do for our servicemen and women.

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post
    Well said Supersub. And thank you for the work you do for our servicemen and women.
    I'm at a loss, I really am. The NHS are so desperate they have even tried recruiting in Australia, promising any newcomers some ridiculous benefits to perform a job that these volunteers are doing for nothing?

So if this lot of Bikers went back to their proper fully paid jobs, there would be how many people leaving the Job Centres to become NHS despatch riders?

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post
    well said supersub. And thank you for the work you do for our servicemen and women.
    x 2 ..

I'm at a loss, I really am. The NHS are so desperate they have even tried recruiting in Australia, promising any newcomers some ridiculous benefits to perform a job that these volunteers are doing for nothing?

So if this lot of Bikers went back to their proper fully paid jobs, there would be how many people leaving the Job Centres to become NHS despatch riders?
    Wrong BT!! The NHS were recruiting Paramedics and Ambulance Personnel to replace the vast numbers that were leaving the London Ambulance Service in droves because of mismanagement. The fact that experienced people were leaving and being replaced by overseas people coming in and getting all sorts of benefits has cost the NHS more money than if they had been able to manage the brilliant people that were in situ and doing a great job.
    The voluntary blood transportation service would never be paid for by the NHS, perhaps the Labour Party, as and when they get into government, can pay the bikers for the work they do voluntarily and they could then call it a job ---a working wage will have to be paid but that should be no problem with all the money which will become available with Brexit.

Have a word, over a pint, with your two MP friends and tell them that you think that the bikers should be paid so that they aren't taking anyone elses' jobs.

I love politics!

Would you lot not be better voting Labour and getting rid of this austerity driven shower of schit?

Money could then be put into the NHS to pay for services rendered and Social Services would be properly funded to protect ALL of our vulnerable citizens.

Would you lot not be better voting Labour and getting rid of this austerity driven shower of schit?

Money could then be put into the NHS to pay for services rendered and Social Services would be properly funded to protect ALL of our vulnerable citizens.
    It is politicians that tell you this BT and I do not believe any politicians since my dealings with them in the 1970s and 1980s. To be honest, I think that they are even worse now than they were in those days because there were one or two good ones from all sides in those days, however, I find it difficult to find anyone I can really respect these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Altobelli View Post
    I might have got this wrong, but I was told Willie Irvine who was at the Turf every home game as an ambassador for the Club for many years and was only paid with a ticket to watch the game, one Saturday he turned up to do his duties and was told he was no longer needed and he was not going to get his ticket for the day's game
    That's not correct Alto! I had a corporate box in those days. Willie and Andy Lochhead were paid £30.00 each for doing about 7 hours work on a matchday but they did it for the love of the club.

Willie incurred the wrath of Lees Hoos for some reason and was unceremoniously dumped. It was a pathetic way to treat a true Clarets Legend and under the old regime on here, I was castigated to the hills and back for giving Hoos constant dog's abuse!
    That's roughly what I said wasn't it ?

It always baffles me that the UK is the 5th largest economy in the world, can afford to spend £13 billion a year on foreign aid, much of it wasted or mis-appropriated, and yet has to depend on volunteers to transport blood around the country, and charitable donations to keep air ambulances flying, provide a lifeboat service and rescue people in trouble on hills and mountains.

But this is missing the point, the NHS is a crucial service but it is seriously under-funded, I would not criticise anyone who volunteered to help out. It shouldn't be necessary but it is. On the other hand BFC is a succesful, profit making organisation, they receive over £100m annually from TV companies, they pay grown men millions of pounds a year to kick a ball around a field, they charge people in excess of £20 a time to watch these men kick a ball around that field for less than an hour. There is no possibilty that they will let you watch a game for nothing, but they are asking people to work for them for nothing. It's ludicrous and shameful, and there is simply no comparison with the NHS using volunteers.

If they want to use the NHS model perhaps they could ask for taxpayer funding as well. Is that the next step ? Heroes my arse, mugs more like.

Quote Originally Posted by Altobelli View Post
    That's roughly what I said wasn't it ?
    No! You said he was paid with a match ticket. He wasn't, he got to watch the match and was paid the princely sum of thirty quid to do the corporate greeting bollox. The way BFC treated him was deplorable and I can certainly agree with you on that!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)