+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Unpaid "Matchday Heroes" furore...

I might have got this wrong, but I was told Willie Irvine who was at the Turf every home game as an ambassador for the Club for many years and was only paid with a ticket to watch the game, one Saturday he turned up to do his duties and was told he was no longer needed and he was not going to get his ticket for the day's game

The Olympics was a short term, one off event 59/60, a team of volunteers was required because people in fulltime employment would not have been able to act as greeters, so no long term employment possibilities, no one was being done out of a job. BFC is a commercial, profit making enterprise, they already pay people to the work they are now asking people to volunteer for. Rather than asking why people should not do it for free, ask why they want people to do it for nowt.
    There were always people in the fire service agitating for overtime, the greedy ****s weren't interested in the fact that Lancashire had to employ around 800 personnel to man the engines, if they could have used overtime they could have reduced that to around 700. One hundred jobs gone, 100 people put out of work. They didn't care, greedy selfish ****s. I'd no time for them.

I believe that the Olympic Greeters argument is very valid. We spent billions on the Olympics and could easily afforded to employ paid labour to do the job. Luckily there was no faux rage about getting people to work for nothing - and the event was a very joyous occasion.

I have just returned from an uplifting evening in which local volunteers were honoured for their work in the area. I nominated one chap who picked up an award.

Another award went to the local Blood Bikers who voluntarily use their own motor bikes, pay for the fuel and work around the clock to move blood from hospital to hospital. They told us that they have saved the NHS around £3 million by doing this.
    Should they be considered to be "scabs" because they are putting many workers, who need to put food on the table, out of a job - in a similar way to firefighters who wished to work overtime?
    Last edited by 1959_60; 20-09-2018 at 09:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Altobelli View Post
    I might have got this wrong, but I was told Willie Irvine who was at the Turf every home game as an ambassador for the Club for many years and was only paid with a ticket to watch the game, one Saturday he turned up to do his duties and was told he was no longer needed and he was not going to get his ticket for the day's game
    That's not correct Alto! I had a corporate box in those days. Willie and Andy Lochhead were paid £30.00 each for doing about 7 hours work on a matchday but they did it for the love of the club.

Willie incurred the wrath of Lees Hoos for some reason and was unceremoniously dumped. It was a pathetic way to treat a true Clarets Legend and under the old regime on here, I was castigated to the hills and back for giving Hoos constant dog's abuse!

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post
    I believe that the Olympic Greeters argument is very valid. We spent billions on the Olympics and could easily afforded to employ paid labour to do the job. Luckily there was no faux rage about getting people to work for nothing - and the event was a very joyous occasion.

I have just returned from an uplifting evening in which local volunteers were honoured for their work in the area. I nominated one chap who picked up an award.

Another award went to the local Blood Bikers who voluntarily use their own motor bikes, pay for the fuel and work around the clock to move blood from hospital to hospital. They told us that they have saved the NHS around £3 million by doing this.
    Should they be considered to be "scabs" because they are putting many workers, who need to put food on the table, out of a job - in a similar way to firefighters who wished to work overtime?
    Scabs the lot of them. No other word for them. Let the bloody Tories pay people to do the job we pay our taxes for. Send the funds and profits to the Caymans and let idiots work for nowt, I can now clearly see why the Lib Dems jumped in bed with the austerity brigade. Get real please?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    Scabs the lot of them. No other word for them. Let the bloody Tories pay people to do the job we pay our taxes for. Send the funds and profits to the Caymans and let idiots work for nowt, I can now clearly see why the Lib Dems jumped in bed with the austerity brigade. Get real please?
    BT, if you start calling Blood Bikers "scabs" then don't expect much support in your political adventures - except your ultra left buddies.

These people are rightly lauded as heroes - it was VERY evident tonight.

http://www.bloodbikes.org.uk/

Yes, I am retired. I get by on my pension...but extra money would be very helpful. I am considering taking a part time job at the moment.
    Tell me, did you complain about the Olympic volunteers who certainly added to the occasion during the London Olympics?
    to be honest 59/60....In the Olympic case, I can respect the idea of their well meant benevolence....but any praise offered would be generalised or completely group given...offered to a useful function, one that worked and......why shouldn't it have. But to see them as individuals performing a charitable act, is something I just can't do, as doing so would unfortunately cause me to consider them dupes in some giant ugly business production, based on monetary gain, and hidden behind a veil of sporting excellence.....as I believe, during those few weeks, one American athelete took 4-5 million from his sponsors alone.

Do you think there is no place for volunteers in corporate events such as sport, church, school governance, music, art etc etc?
    I think I'd mostly agree with BT's response to you on this - and would only add that, without knowing specific facts concerning each separate construction, a precise answer would only pretend to be a complete one....imho.

Cheers

BT, if you start calling Blood Bikers "scabs" then don't expect much support in your political adventures - except your ultra left buddies.

These people are rightly lauded as heroes - it was VERY evident tonight.

http://www.bloodbikes.org.uk/
    Why on earth can't the NHS pay for their own despatch riders? These daft sods are playing right into the Tory Party/Lib Dem Alliance "back to serfdom" plans.

You know the mantra, "Club together, don't rely on the State to provide the basics, look after your own and please die early then we don't have to provide you with a pension!" That philosophy comes straight out of the Theresa May Handbook. The Tories have taken the Lib/Dems out of the loop but you can't take the Lib/Dems out of the Tory Party.

BT, you obviously don't realise (and neither did I) that the Blood Bikers have been operated for 50 years. Their organisation was formalised in 2008 - during a Labour Government.

It says on their website, "With its roots going back over half a century, the concept of a rapid response motorcycle based charity, run by unpaid volunteers has an impressive track record. More than one of the current NABB member groups can proudly demonstrate in excess of three decades of continual service to the NHS and the wider community.

Since its inception as an umbrella organisation in 2008, NABB has successfully promoted and been actively involved in the start up of numerous independent Blood Bike groups across the UK and the Republic of Ireland."

Perhaps we can all volunteer as "Westminster Heroes" and get the useless phuckers currently operating out of there, a free bus pass to anywhere but the Houses of Parliament?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)