+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you remember when

Quote Originally Posted by Cannylad View Post
    No cell phones
    No PCer's telling us what to do
    Respect for elders
    No Pboro
    😃😃😃😃

Quote Originally Posted by Stanleymag View Post
    What was your first mobile phone Pat?
    I think it was a big Nokia Stan. About 8"x3"x2". Too big for the pocket.

The first one I saw was owned by an insurance rep trying to sell me a policy. It was enormous and he had to carry a huge accumulator battery with it all the time. That was about 1987 at a guess.

Teacher's were respected. As was the bloke who went up onto the froof when school closed, and kicked the football's off.

Got your ball the following morning that no one had nicked.

Top start to the day.

Quote Originally Posted by pboromag View Post
    loved the sit down and play spave invader machines in pubs
    and break dancing on some old lino in pboro town square

the all nighters followed by the raves

the return of the mods and lambrettas and scooters (still have a few)

those clanger things you bashed to getther

how i hated the unions
    Galaxian was best.

Being able to buy a few loosies (cigarettes) without having to prove your age.
    Having a one on one fight without having to use a knife or a weapon, generally.
    Not getting collared by speed cameras.
    Not having your drive home hindered by speed bumps, some of which are designed to destroy your vehicle.
    Wearing all kinds of gear without getting ribbed to death for it, generally...except for a few exceptions.
    Playing all kinds of games, from hide and seek, tiggy off ground, Leo and what not and being as fit as a butchers dog whilst enjoying it all.
    Going up the tarzies.
    Dropping your pencil at school so you could look under the teachers desk and try and get a good glimpse. I had many a little tug over that and to think Mr Smith never suspected me looking up the leg of his shorts.

Those were the days. I think.

When you were allowed on the field.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    Being able to buy a few loosies (cigarettes) without having to prove your age.
    Having a one on one fight without having to use a knife or a weapon, generally.
    Not having your drive home hindered by speed bumps, some of which are designed to destroy your vehicle.
    Wearing all kinds of gear without getting ribbed to death for it, generally...except for a few exceptions.
    Playing all kinds of games, from hide and seek, tiggy off ground, Leo and what not and being as fit as a butchers dog whilst enjoying it all.
    Going up the tarzies.
    Dropping your pencil at school so you could look under the teachers desk and try and get a good glimpse. I had many a little tug over that and to think Mr Smith never suspected me looking up the leg of his shorts.

Those were the days. I think.
    Yep. Thanks Ghost.

They were the days.

I also remember when sweets were sweets. A proper treat that tasted superb, unlike a lot of the stuff today that tastes bland, not to mention half the size.
    I used to think it was because I had small hands as a kid and that's why the mars bars must have looked way bigger....but no.

The old go-karts made with planks of wood and old pram wheels.
    Riggy up bikes that you took your time building up and painting whilst wrapping the handlebars with eleccy tape of various colours.

Building snow camps when snow seemed to come at the times we expected.
    Camping out and going round houses changing the milk dials from 2 pints to 6 or leaving notes asking for eggs and bread and what not then waiting for the milkman to deliver, then take them from the step so we could have a few egg sarnies back at the tent with the single camping stove with the gas cannister that you had to puncture a hole in the top of.

Fun times but times when parents gave a falook and if you were caught you were in for a double going over, or a triple one if the big brother found out...but worth it.

It's hard to find a milkman on a round, let alone an early one.
    Also a Sunday was a day of rest where shops being open was scarce.

Sunday nights with a jar of malt and a big spoon on top of the old telly, plus the smaller spoon next to the cod liver oil in liquid form before we went to bed.
    I don't know whether it was for the benefit of our health or just a parting Sunday shot by my mother to say, 'you tested me out over the week and weekend and now it's your turn to take the revenge I've served, before knowing that your next waking time is a screaming morning school day Monday morning.'

Hmmmm.
    Last edited by ghostrider; 18-09-2018 at 04:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    How sad for you that you're not allowed to drive as fast as you like at the expense of everyone else. What a sh!tty thing to complain about.

Quote Originally Posted by HughieG View Post
    How sad for you that you're not allowed to drive as fast as you like at the expense of everyone else. What a sh!tty thing to complain about.
    Who needs to drive fast. You can observe a speed restriction without speed bumps.
    Did you think of that?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)